Best dimensions for online videos

Reaction score
Hello! All i use my phantom for is for my real estate videos. I pair my phantom with my DJI Osmo. Once and for all I would love a straight forward answer.

1. Which dimensions should i be shooting in 4k for online videos (####X####)

2. Should I be shooting in 24 fps or 30 fps

3. and should i export in 1080p?

1080 would be best for people who will be watching the video as most people who will be looking at the homes may still not have the bandwidth to stream 4k smoothly.

Reactions: JimHarris
Given a 1080p target, I would actually suggest 2.7k 60 fps which will give you a lot of headroom during postprocessing both for slowing down certain footage and minor trimming where necessary. I would certainly avoid 24 fps as this only introduces overly choppy motion, especially for any pans, with no clear benefits.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Given a 1080p target, I would actually suggest 2.7k 60 fps which will give you a lot of headroom during postprocessing both for slowing down certain footage and minor trimming where necessary. I would certainly avoid 24 fps as this only introduces overly choppy motion, especially for any pans, with no clear benefits.
I agree with you on the shooting @ 60fps if your gonna slow it down quite a bit Tomas. But I've been shooting at 30fps and some at 24 with silky smooth result! The critical part is keeping shutter speed at really close to double your frame rate for smoothness isn't it? All your cinematic movie footage is all at 24fps isn't it? Gonna have bigger files at 60fps too aren't you?

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
I agree with you on the shooting @ 60fps if your gonna slow it down quite a bit Tomas. But I've been shooting at 30fps and some at 24 with silky smooth result! The critical part is keeping shutter speed at really close to double your frame rate for smoothness isn't it? All your cinematic movie footage is all at 24fps isn't it? Gonna have bigger files at 60fps too aren't you?
I, for one, hate choppy pans when visiting the cinema :). I see no reason to artificially introducing this limitation.

Going forward, I actually think we will see more 60 fps movies as well, as first introduced with The Hobbit (it has certainly already been the norm for console gaming for some time).

(Please note that my suggestion for 60 fps 2.7k was exclusively too leave some creative alternatives for the post processing in this scenario)

For Real Estate it's not gonna be that critical most likely anyway. Smooth flying and a variety of cool shots is the key to great looking video's as well.

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
For Real Estate it's not gonna be that critical most likely anyway. Smooth flying and a variety of cool shots is the key to great looking video's as well.
That is true. Conclusion to the original question is that this depends on the result the clients expect as well as your process of getting there. For more-or-less directly out of camera footage, should this be acceptable, I would go for 1080p 30 fps for a very easy workflow and fast deliveries.

Just a note... those are not dimensions, it's number of pixels. Dimensions can be changed by the viewer. A person may display that with a 10" monitor or a 54" monitor. The more pixels you use, the better the image looks, especially when expanded on a larger display. In some cases compression and bandwidth may be considered. So in that regard, 4k would be better. But then you need to consider what display the person is using, the amount of compression in the video, bandwidth, customers preference, etc. If you are delivering a product I'd ask the customer if they have a preference and make a recommendation based on the use.

24fps is more of a cinematic view. 30fps might create less motion blur.

You won't get a "straight forward" answer as each situation is different. This is one reason why some video's are better... because the person creating the video knows the best settings for that situation.

Just a note... those are not dimensions, it's number of pixels. Dimensions can be changed by the viewer. A person may display that with a 10" monitor or a 54" monitor. The more pixels you use, the better the image looks, especially when expanded on a larger display. In some cases compression and bandwidth may be considered. So in that regard, 4k would be better. But then you need to consider what display the person is using, the amount of compression in the video, bandwidth, customers preference, etc. If you are delivering a product I'd ask the customer if they have a preference and make a recommendation based on the use.

You won't get a "straight forward" answer as each situation is different. This is one reason why some video's are better... because the person creating the video knows the best settings for that situation.
Very well said tcope! I have a very good filmaker buddy in Salt Lake btw! Love it out there so much!

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I agree with tcope. Anyway, if you are looking for the best IQ and you can spend some time editing, my recommended settings will be:
4k 30FPS H265
And when you finish the color grading and edit, export to 1080p 30FPS H264 30Mbps VBR 2 pass MP4.
With these settings you will have in the final video a more detailed 1080p footage (because you will resample a 4k video in 1080p) with smooth transitions, relatively smaller files, and more compatibility with video players and TV's.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20