Best 4K video editing laptop

I use Mac Pro.

I use an HP Spectre x360 15.6" UHD Display. Adobe Photoshop CC, Adobe Lightroom CC, and Adobe Premiere Elements 15. Solid performance. Excellent value. No complaints whatsoever ...
HP - Spectre x360 2-in-1 15.6" 4K Ultra HD Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 512GB Solid State Drive
When you're using Premiere Elements 15, and you're editing 4K video, do you make a low res proxy file from the full res file? Without a proxy I'm unhappy with Premiere Elements 15 during 4K editing, it doesn't run smooth during post edit previews.

It appears the Elements 15 app doesn't make a proxy image, am I wrong? I'm thinking that only the Premiere Pro has that ability. If I'm wrong, can you show me the secret to creating a proxy in Elements 15? I've looked everywhere for this info.

When you're using Premiere Elements 15, and you're editing 4K video, do you make a low res proxy file from the full res file? Without a proxy I'm unhappy with Premiere Elements 15 during 4K editing, it doesn't run smooth during post edit previews.

It appears the Elements 15 app doesn't make a proxy image, am I wrong? I'm thinking that only the Premiere Pro has that ability. If I'm wrong, can you show me the secret to creating a proxy in Elements 15? I've looked everywhere for this info.
Do you have your Project Settings set for your captured video resolution and frame-rate? Is your Power Save setting set for max performance?

Do you have your Project Settings set for your captured video resolution and frame-rate? Is your Power Save setting set for max performance?
Yes, I've set it for 3840X2160. I'm on a 3.2Ghz i5 Desktop, embedded intel graphic, no graphics accelerator. Most laptops don't have graphics accelerators either, unless you pay for something like an Alien Dell laptop, so I would expect my desktop to work just fine with a proxy file. My question is how to you tell the Elements app to make a proxy file for editing purposes. Do you see this proxy file get made, such as taking 3 or 4 minutes to create different file for processing time, or is this proxy file totally transparent and you never see it happen? I see peeps on this forum talk about it like "you have to make a proxy file" but I see no triggers for that in Elements 15. Since you use Elements 15 I was hoping you knew the answer. Do you enable proxy files somehow, and if so, how?

Last edited:
Yes, I've set it for 3840X2160. I'm on a 3.2Ghz i5 Desktop, embedded intel graphic, no graphics accelerator. Most laptops don't have graphics accelerators either, unless you pay for something like an Alien Dell laptop, so I would expect my desktop to work just fine with a proxy file. My question is how to you tell the Elements app to make a proxy file for editing purposes. Do you see this proxy file get made, such as taking 3 or 4 minutes to create different file for processing time, or is this proxy file totally transparent and you never see it happen? I see peeps on this forum talk about it like "you have to make a proxy file" but I see not options for that in Elements 15. Since you use Elements 15 I was hoping you knew the answer. Do you enable proxy files somehow, and if so, how?
No proxy file to make that I am aware of. Do you get a yellow rendering line right after you add your 1st video clip?

You probably do not have enough GPU horsepower to render 4K previews. My laptop has a NVIDIA GeForce 940MX graphics card with 2 GB of dedicated video memory

No proxy file to make that I am aware of. Do you get a yellow rendering line right after you add your 1st video clip?

You probably do not have enough GPU horsepower to render 4K previews. My laptop has a NVIDIA GeForce 940MX graphics card with 2 GB of dedicated video memory
OK, that makes sense if you have a GPU in your laptop. Using a proxy file my desktop should work fine, but it appears Elements 15 doesn't support creating a proxy file. I've pretty much confirmed my suspicion here in the DJI forum.

I think the take-away in this thread is to edit 4K with cheap software like Premiere Elements 15, you must have a GPU accelerator, not just any i7 laptop. However if you want to pay through the nose for Premiere Pro CC you can get way without a graphics accelerator on pretty much any i7 laptop.

Last edited:
OK, that makes sense if you have a GPU in your laptop. Using a proxy file my desktop should work fine, but it appears Elements 15 doesn't support a proxy file.
Hey buddy! What's the main diff in Premiere Pro and Elements? Price diff is how much?

Hey buddy! What's the main diff in Premiere Pro and Elements? Price diff is how much?
Well, lots of things, but you won't find a comparison chart from Adobe, I've looked. There's no doubt PP is one of the best you can lease from Adobe, you can't buy it. Elements you can buy for $69 when on special, like last month. Buy it once, no monthly fees, opposed to monthly fees for PP. But.... Elements won't support 4K unless you have a graphics accelerator to assist the app, specifically because Elements doesn't support the use of a proxy file. Without that 4K video chokes the Elements 15 preview player. There are other low cost editors you can BUY that supports proxy files to edit 4K without the need of a GPU in the computer, but hey, I was foolish enough to buy Elements 15, I'll use it for a while for my 1080 video editing, which is what I shoot most the time anyway.

I'm buying a new desktop with GPU this fall as soon as Optane Flash SSD storage becomes available for the OS, which is super fast solid state disk operation through an M.2 site in newer computers, way faster than today's SSDs via SATA3. So when I get that, Elements 15 will work fine.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Well, lots of things, but you won't find a comparison chart from Adobe, I've looked. There's no doubt PP is one of the best you can lease from Adobe, you can't buy it. Elements you can buy for $69 when on special, like last month. Buy it once, no monthly fees, opposed to monthly fees for PP. But.... Elements won't support 4K unless you have a graphics accelerator to assist the app, specifically because Elements doesn't support the use of a proxy file. Without that 4K video chokes the Elements 15 preview player. There are other low cost editors you can BUY that supports proxy files to edit 4K without the need of a GPU in the computer, but hey, I was foolish enough to buy Elements 15, I'll use it for a while for my 1080 video editing, which is what I shoot most the time anyway.

I'm buying a new desktop with GPU this fall as soon as Optane Flash SSD storage becomes available for the OS, which is super fast solid state disk operation through an M.2 site in newer computers, way faster than today's SSDs via SATA3. So when I get that, Elements 15 will work fine.
Yeah, Premier Pro is pricey at almost 30 bucks a month for sure. But I can't do 1080 anymore. LOL. Just bought a 65in LG 4K TV a couple months ago. Love it! My computer has the accelerated GPU too. It's a new gaming machine from Best Buy end of last year. It plays 4K footage awesome straight out of camera. But then chokes in PP. So I've def been using proxy files and works perfect! Sounds like your gonna really have a smoking machine soon!

The question about what laptop to use for 4K video editing has come up a couple times before and my take is that if you plan to do more than a little 4K video editing, particularly if the videos are more than a couple minutes long, that using a laptop is not the best idea. Laptops are NOT designed to run at 100% for more than a minute or two as the cooling system is necessarily limited relative to a desktop.

I have a high end laptop with i7 cpu and 4K display and I have my Adobe suite on it but rendering a video lasting more than a couple minutes pegs the cpu and the cooling system. But, if you insist on doing more complicated 4K video editing on a laptop do yourself a favor and make **** sure you are not blocking any of the vents. There are trays with fans built into it that help with cooling on a laptop so if you plan to do serious editing and rendering with a laptop it's a good idea to use one of the desk assistants that help with cooling.

You do not want to shell out a couple thousand for a laptop only to burn it up in a couple weeks.

Brian

I edit 4K footage easily on my MacBook Pro using FCPX and I've never needed to use proxies. I have it set to smooth playback and it automatically lowers the resolution just during playback to play and edit smoothly. When I export the 4K Prores422 file and compress it to high bitrate 4K H.264 it looks amazing and plays smoothly.

I have a high end laptop with i7 cpu and 4K display and I have my Adobe suite on it but rendering a video lasting more than a couple minutes pegs the cpu and the cooling system.
Brian
You should not have an issue if you're using a proxy file in Premiere Pro. If using Premiere Elements 15 it doesn't support proxy files, and you will have issues unless you have a high end GAMING computer (laptop or desktop) with a graphics accelerator. Only WITH AN ACCELERATOR will you be able to use Elements with 4K, effeciently. Many of the Apple laptops have graphics acceleration built in, that's why they can preview 4K OK without a proxy. A PC laptop that include a graphics accelerator like this will work with Elements @ 4K too.

If you have the Adobe suite, make sure it's using a proxy file (lower resolution copy) for editing and previewing purposes.

Last edited:
When I was searching for the best 4K laptop, My office colleague recommends me Razer Blade Pro, but I am an avid gamer, and I cant take any risk, and I cant make any decision without searching on google. After complete research, I found this source 6 Best 4k Laptops In 2017 - Ultra HD & Crisp Resolution! and finally, I bought Razer Blade Pro.
Thank you, Joseph.
Joseph (office colleague)

Reactions: John Locke

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20