Beginner mode and noob questions

Reaction score
hey guys,

As I stated above that I am a noob, I am still under 10 flights and running it in beginner mode. I've read that switching it out this mode can make the sticks much more sensitive, would that be the case?

When using the buttons to start and land, is that another operation of BM? RTM and landing are two separate things correct, but RTH doesn't mean it will land in your lap. I am guessing the while in beginner mode the set allowance is based on home location and not transmitter locaction since I walked closer to the drone but it wouldn't allow more distance.

As far as height, my avg flight has been 60' which sounds low, but looked high. I know a lot factors into this question but can I fly above 100' with a pretty good trust in the P3S? I my neighborhood I get a lot of interference warnings guessing to the amount of wifi in the area?

Thanks in advance for the help, this has been as much fun learning and reading as it has been flying the drone.

MM

hey guys,

As I stated above that I am a noob, I am still under 10 flights and running it in beginner mode. I've read that switching it out this mode can make the sticks much more sensitive, would that be the case?

When using the buttons to start and land, is that another operation of BM? RTM and landing are two separate things correct, but RTH doesn't mean it will land in your lap. I am guessing the while in beginner mode the set allowance is based on home location and not transmitter locaction since I walked closer to the drone but it wouldn't allow more distance.

As far as height, my avg flight has been 60' which sounds low, but looked high. I know a lot factors into this question but can I fly above 100' with a pretty good trust in the P3S? I my neighborhood I get a lot of interference warnings guessing to the amount of wifi in the area?

Thanks in advance for the help, this has been as much fun learning and reading as it has been flying the drone.

MM
Switching beginners mode off won't make any difference to the controls of the standard. Just be sure to power up the drone/controller when making any changes to ensure they are saved. You can set your maximum height and distance in the settings and gradually increase them as you get more comfortable. As for wifi interference, that will affect the drone regardless of height or distance. Make sure your home point is recorded and RTH height is correct and activated, if it all goes bad, the drone will return to you.
The standard is a lot of fun but you need to get confidence and experience with flying it. The first time I took mine up to 220mtrs and 1600mtrs out to sea, I was nervous but hit the return to home and back it came like a homesick dog.

To get the true experience of flying, go out away from the city to open pastures if possible. I have a P4 and not familiar with the p3s much. I won't fly residential anymore, to many kids with BB guns. And like you said to much interference from wifi baby monitors cordless phones etc.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Markie Mantle
Beginner mode is there to help you, I'm certainly going to make use of it!

In the app you can reset the home point to the quad's current location, or to your's (the controller), but it will tell you it updated the home point when ready to fly, it's important that you hear that as one of your takeoff checks (or it may shoot off to the last home point it remembers - no matter where that was ....)

Bear in mind when you fly at the location:

That you have the home point updated.

That if you survey the area you are flying at (which like me will be a nice open field... right?) that you set the RTH height ABOVE anything that may be in that field (Over the trees).

Basically you have to figure that if you lost it and RTH got initiated from anywhere within the area you will be in, that it can ascend (or descend) to the RTH height, and then that height from anywhere in that field back to your home point will not hit a tree, building, etc. Because one reaching RTH height, it turns and head to the home point.

I'm in the same boat as you, to me, if you understand the above RTH behaviour, you can relax slightly, in fact put it somewhere and have it do an RTH (you should see it do it, it also builds confidence in the gear) It will get to the HP. hover and then bring itself down.

Lastly, Home point itself, pick a spot that is level, and has no smaller obstructions to your quad coming down vertically, this should be large enough, because it likely won't come down right in the middle, but close, mileages vary.

I'm dying to get mine outside, but won't be until the weekend, rainy here.

Reactions: Markie Mantle
Hi gang, U.K. newb here. I will be taking my Phantom 4 out tomorrow for the first time..... I will be going to an open field with trees so I guess my rth point will be above the highest tree height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi gang, U.K. newb here. I will be taking my Phantom 4 out tomorrow for the first time..... I will be going to an open field with trees so I guess my rth point will be above the highest tree height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes plus another 10-20 mtrs to make sure you clear the highest obstacle that you may not have spotted.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Great info guys, I guess I need to understand RTH more in depth. Do you have to hit the button before you are past that point on the HUD? Or is that just insurance that there is a good chance it has enough power to return to that point? Will it auto land once the battery is dead or can it fall from the sky when dead?

If you are inside 20mtrs, it can land anywhere inside that area from the home point after ascending/descending to whatever RTH altitude you have set. Outside of that area it will ascend/descend to the RTH altitude you have set and return to the home point. You can hit the RTH button at my time or let it do its thing if you are disconnected and it will come home. You will also be notified when your battery levels are at the preset warning levels (30% and 10%), most people return home at 30% to make sure they have enough capacity to make it back. At 10% it will auto land wherever it is. You don't want that to happen for obvious reasons, they don't just drop from the sky unless the battery falls out or you hit something. I'm hoping you are reading the manual :)

Yes the first time my P4 got away out of site behind some large 75 -85 foot Pine trees I hit RTH then was freaking because it was soooo slow coming back into view. I was still in Begnr. Mode and at least a quarter mile away so that was why. Then about half way to me the panic was worse when I realized I hadn't re-calibrated my Compass and Homepoint before this flight. The last one I recorded was back near my house about a half mile up the road where all the school kids get let off their bus about that time. Luckily I later found that Beginner Mode and such HAD taken care of changing my HomePoint but I had near wet myself canceling RTH and landing it properly. I am about a month and a half, 15 flights and 50 plus miles into myP4. THE BEST and most important tip(s) for me have proven to be : CALIBRATE Compass HABITUALLY preferably every new flight session. 30 seconds or a minute of checkout and warmup that can save most common difficulties, a LOT of MONEY and has left me smiling every flight so far.
KEEP IN SIGHT of the craft and get comfortable and able to do a large loop or figure 8 at speed. In my case I was switching into Sport Mode and back for landings before I started using Camera and instruments to stray beyond view. AND !! Perhaps I fear LOSS of control rather than most other possibilities because I DO NOT use RTH nor its related features really at all. It is unnerving to me and the Phantoms seem to have no problems with takeoff and landing outside of high winds or having all the sensors shut down. As of late I found no real difficulty landing even with sensors down for my trips over the lake. At worst a couple little unnerving bounces which the bird has no problem with.
The other folks have mentioned all the other valuable stuff as far altitude and distance settings for a bit. I myself am back home LONG before my battery gets critical. I live in Maine with dense forest lake and marshes around so .....screw that ****. See you again have fun

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.