Battery

Reaction score
I know this subject has probley been beat to death but is any aftermarket battery any good for the Standard 3 . 150 bucks is alot of money for a DJI battery

I know this subject has probley been beat to death but is any aftermarket battery any good for the Standard 3 . 150 bucks is alot of money for a DJI battery
The battery is one of the most important pieces of the puzzle. I would never risk the thing exploding or over-heating during flight. In addition, DJI will not support any warranty claims for damage caused by reliability or compatibility issues when using unauthorized third-party parts.

So, are there batts that work? Yes. But I think there is some risk. I have one genuine spare I purchased for $109.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Last edited:
Im not dead set on it . I will probably buy a DJI battery . I was just hoping someone had a aftermarket that was popular. There is a few of them on amazon. You mentioned Powerextra. Do you have one

You mentioned Powerextra. Do you have one
No. I only use DJI batteries. That's what I'd buy if I wanted to try a 3rd party battery though.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Im not dead set on it . I will probably buy a DJI battery . I was just hoping someone had a aftermarket that was popular. There is a few of them on amazon. You mentioned Powerextra. Do you have one

There are many after market batterys and as far as is obvious from the web - MOST work ... despite the paranoid rantings of the dedicated DJI buyers ... and the myth of the DJI programming blocking all non DJI batterys.
That myth basically grew up out of some poorly copied batterys that the pirate boards fitted failed to work with DJI FW ... not the other way round ! (Of course some will persist in arguing this still !)

But that does not mean just grab any bargain battery and assume it will work.

What I did and all the flyers I know - most of us in my 'group of RC buddies' far and wide have been around for a while ... and we discuss what we use ... failures / success / limitations etc. Suppliers of LiPo's is a big topic as everyone (well most I know) are looking for a reliable bargain. We found one with Kuentl on eBay for DJI batterys - but sadly he's stopped selling them. Price was about 60 - 65% of DJI price and the batterys were same. My 3 batterys ... one is DJI supplied with the P3 ... other two are Kuentl. One of Kuentls is identical in labelling, says it comes from same factory etc. etc. in fact the only difference is the DJI clear sticker on the battery face which you get ... The other Kuentl is similar to other clones where the labelling is slightly different ..... but it works identical as well.
I know of one battery failure that was not caused by exterior action for a P3.... and it was a DJI original - not a copy. The other failure was a copy but that was submerged into the river for at least 30mins after I over-ran battery flight time ... my own fault. Funny thing is the board inside is identical to the board in the DJI original we dismantled !!

So if you want to find working reliable batterys for your P3 ... find other users around your location and see what they are using, gather all the info you can ... make an informed decision based on actual you can see / touch ... because good as Forums are - they carry a lot of bias ...

I am not trying to convince you to use non DJI batterys .... its your money, its your choice. I am only voicing what I do.

Nigel

Thanks for your reply. I'm by myself with this hobby . I don't know of one person with a drone that's not a 50 dollar kids toy, that's why I ask on this forum, but like you said this person differs from that person I will have to buy one and find out for myself

There are many after market batterys and as far as is obvious from the web - MOST work ... despite the paranoid rantings of the dedicated DJI buyers ... and the myth of the DJI programming blocking all non DJI batterys.
That myth basically grew up out of some poorly copied batterys that the pirate boards fitted failed to work with DJI FW ... not the other way round ! (Of course some will persist in arguing this still !)

But that does not mean just grab any bargain battery and assume it will work.

What I did and all the flyers I know - most of us in my 'group of RC buddies' far and wide have been around for a while ... and we discuss what we use ... failures / success / limitations etc. Suppliers of LiPo's is a big topic as everyone (well most I know) are looking for a reliable bargain. We found one with Kuentl on eBay for DJI batterys - but sadly he's stopped selling them. Price was about 60 - 65% of DJI price and the batterys were same. My 3 batterys ... one is DJI supplied with the P3 ... other two are Kuentl. One of Kuentls is identical in labelling, says it comes from same factory etc. etc. in fact the only difference is the DJI clear sticker on the battery face which you get ... The other Kuentl is similar to other clones where the labelling is slightly different ..... but it works identical as well.
I know of one battery failure that was not caused by exterior action for a P3.... and it was a DJI original - not a copy. The other failure was a copy but that was submerged into the river for at least 30mins after I over-ran battery flight time ... my own fault. Funny thing is the board inside is identical to the board in the DJI original we dismantled !!

So if you want to find working reliable batterys for your P3 ... find other users around your location and see what they are using, gather all the info you can ... make an informed decision based on actual you can see / touch ... because good as Forums are - they carry a lot of bias ...

I am not trying to convince you to use non DJI batterys .... its your money, its your choice. I am only voicing what I do.

Nigel
What many people might not realise is that DJI don’t make the batteries, they source complete units from at least two external suppliers. Providing the LiPO cells are good and they work they should be fine.

I share your observation with the PCB’s, without knowing better I would say they come off the same assembly line, they look identical.

Reactions: MalteseKev
OMG, read the customer reviews before buying. Be sure to sort by "Most Recent"
The majority of the most recent reviews are favorable.

FWIW, I think I've seen more recent bad reviews for DJI batteries in just this forum.

Reactions: With The Birds
The majority of the most recent reviews are favorable.

FWIW, I think I've seen more recent bad reviews for DJI batteries in just this forum.

The fact that there are ANY negative is enough to make me nervous! Whatever people decide, I only hope for the best. I would hate for anyone to lose their investment trying to save $50 on a battery.

The chances of 'losing investment' is near zero ....

Propaganda that is .... If the battery is no good - it will not take off ...

AC have fallen out of the sky usually due to USER error in not making battery fully home .... dirty contacts ..... stupid actions like I did - flying too long !

To the OP - if he has no other users of P3's local to him - then it's probably better to bite the bullet and buy genuine DJI.

Some of us are lucky to be able to evaluate by asking around what batterys to buy.

Nigel

I used to use aftermarkets until my AC fell out of the sky. The battery had a full charge at launch and turned itself off without warning after about 3 mins of flight at a height of 400 feet.

The thing about aftermarkets is some of them may work perfectly and some of them may have problems such as turning themselves off and dropping from the sky without warning. The trick is knowing which ones will work perfectly.

The fact that there are ANY negative is enough to make me nervous!
Check out the recent reviews for OEM DJI batteries here. They don't have a clean bill of health either.

I don't think it's anything to worry about though. An electronic device sold on Amazon with a 100% positive rating is a very rare occurrence.

Last edited:
If you're dead set on buying an aftermarket P3 battery, then check out the Powerextra batteries.

Here's a review posted just today. This was one of the aftermarket batts on the powerextra site you linked earlier.

After flying my drone a few times with this battery it started giving me a "cell broken" error. I tried to cycle it and see if it would make the error disappear but it did not work. This is very dangerous to your drone flying so the battery is useless. I sent it back today and Amazon has issued a full refund. I guess trying to save a few bucks doesn't pay off sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I value your judgement and experience and the number of people you have helped is awesome. The fact that you use only DJI says it all to me.

Reviews are hard for any product. There is always negative reviews. I will bite the bullet and spend the money to get a battery from the DJI website. I didn't know if anybody recommends a off brand. It was worth a shot

The fact that you use only DJI says it all to me.
FWIW, I only use OEM DJI batteries because they won't void the warranty if the battery causes some type of failure.

FWIW, I only use OEM DJI batteries because they won't void the warranty if the battery causes some type of failure.
Precisely! Exactly what I stated in Post #4. It's not worth voiding the warranty for $50.

Thank you again for all your help on these various threads.

I tried using an aftermarket today. It would not even start the 3 even though it had a full charge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus