Battery

Reaction score
I fly regularly and I have 3 batteries. There are times when there is something I see and wanted to photograph. The problem is by the time I charge up it is to late to bother. My question is can I leave one of my batteries on charge without doing harm to the battery? I never fly without a full charge. Thanks peace out

Yes you can, it will not damage the battery as long as you don't do it too often.

You shouldn't leave it on the charger itself.Just increase the auto discharge time. You can have one charged without harming it for 10 days or so.

Well if it's left on the charger what is to often?
I don't think leaving a battery on the charger is healthy. First the charger itself can overheat. When I charge my battery and tested the temperature on the charger is really very hot. You can charge you battery full and it stay full for a long time if you don't use it.

Ok so Friday night I'll fully charge it and program not to dump for 48 hrs. Thanks that sounds like a better solution. I love this forum, you guys are very helpful without talking down to people that are learning. Keep it up!

Reactions: macoman
Just one more note. Just make sure you don't press the button on the battery when it is sitting idle before you use it. That will reset the auto discharge timer.

If you "check" to see how much charge you have in the battery by pressing the battery button. Doing that resets the timer the battery uses for self discharge. That's what I meant.

If you "check" to see how much charge you have in the battery by pressing the battery button. Doing that resets the timer the battery uses for self discharge. That's what I meant.
Oh, didn't know that... So when you press it, it reset to 0 days from for example 3 days from the full charge?

Yes, lets say you have it set for 5 days ( which is what I use), If the battery is just sitting there fully charged or not, as long as it has not started the discharge cycle, it will reset the timer for another 5 days before the discharge starts. Just using my number as an example.

Yes, lets say you have it set for 5 days ( which is what I use), If the battery is just sitting there fully charged or not, as long as it has not started the discharge cycle, it will reset the timer for another 5 days before the discharge starts. Just using my number as an example.
Great to know that! Thanks for the info.

I don't think leaving a battery on the charger is healthy. First the charger itself can overheat. When I charge my battery and tested the temperature on the charger is really very hot. You can charge you battery full and it stay full for a long time if you don't use it.
If the battery is functioning as designed it will stop charging when full so whether or not the charger remains connected will make no difference. As to staying charged for a long time the maximum will be 10 days before auto discharge commences (subject to the days to discharge setting applied) providing the power button isn't pressed which will reset the commencement time for the counter.

What temp did you measure when testing your power supply? It should not be excessively hot.

If your usage case requires you always have a pack ready to fly I would rotate the batteries so it isn't always the same pack. LiION chemistry ages faster if kept at full state of charge, you could easily realise a 20% or significantly greater reduction of usable capacity if left at full charge for 12 months (25 deg ambient temperature). The cooler the storage temp the better. There is a reason 40% storage charge is recommended.

If your usage case requires you always have a pack ready to fly I would rotate the batteries so it isn't always the same pack. LiION chemistry ages faster if kept at full state of charge, you could easily realise a 20% or significantly greater reduction of usable capacity if left at full charge for 12 months (25 deg ambient temperature). The cooler the storage temp the better. There is a reason 40% storage charge is recommended.
I agree with everything you said, being the fact that I am technically inclined myself after 35 years of experience. However I have seen these "technical" explanations, theory's or whatever you like to call them stated many times on threads that do not require such detail that many people would not understand. Being that personally I have written many technical documents for training and actual implementation of, for the lack of a better term "Procedures", I feel that there are too many that go too far in explanations to those who are not so inclined. Bottom line is we here in the states used to have a saying......KISS....an acronym for instructional procedures. I know this is a bit winded and I mean no disrespect whatsoever. In fact, I also did training with the RAAF here in the states. I know that is meaningless really but just wanted to toss that out there. I'm not saying that details are not worth saying. I get that. But in most cases, and this one no exception, just rely on KISS. Sorry for the long rant, just IMHO. Peace my Aussie Friend!

I agree with everything you said, being the fact that I am technically inclined myself after 35 years of experience. However I have seen these "technical" explanations, theory's or whatever you like to call them stated many times on threads that do not require such detail that many people would not understand. Being that personally I have written many technical documents for training and actual implementation of, for the lack of a better term "Procedures", I feel that there are too many that go too far in explanations to those who are not so inclined. Bottom line is we here in the states used to have a saying......KISS....an acronym for instructional procedures. I know this is a bit winded and I mean no disrespect whatsoever. In fact, I also did training with the RAAF here in the states. I know that is meaningless really but just wanted to toss that out there. I'm not saying that details are not worth saying. I get that. But in most cases, and this one no exception, just rely on KISS. Sorry for the long rant, just IMHO. Peace my Aussie Friend!
Yeah fair enough, I would have thought the explanation was fairly basic (i.e simple). The gist was if you hope to maximise the life and performance of the battery keep it somewhere between 30 and 50% level and in a cool place for storage and charge it close to when you plan to fly. If you need to keep it constantly charged ready for flight be prepared for a significantly reduced service life.

I do get your point and take no offence. I have an alternative view however, I find I get frustrated with simplified explanations and am usually left wanting for additional detail. Even worse is where people give advice or recommendation which is clearly ill informed and may prove to be to the detriment of someone who might rely on it.

It's strange world.

Sorry I asked. You guys need to chill. This isn't a competition. At least I didn't think it was

Just to clarify something that I've been wondering about...
When you push the button on the battery to check charge level and it resets the start time to discharge, does it bring it down to 50% charge from what he current level is? Meaning, if I'm at 50% charge when I push the button, does it bring it down 50% of the 50% charge that it's at? Hope that makes sense.
Thanks

Just to clarify something that I've been wondering about...
When you push the button on the battery to check charge level and it resets the start time to discharge, does it bring it down to 50% charge from what he current level is? Meaning, if I'm at 50% charge when I push the button, does it bring it down 50% of the 50% charge that it's at? Hope that makes sense.
Thanks
No.

Reactions: stones
Sorry I asked. You guys need to chill. This isn't a competition. At least I didn't think it was
Its not a competition by any stretch of the imagination. No point to that. I was just voicing an opinion and if you look around here long enough you will see what I meant by that. I know its just in the nature of folks to add more details than necessary for a particular question, and there is no fault in that at all. It just makes it a bit harder for those who do not know the terminology used in reference to the question, that's all. That is of coarse unless it is something so easy that it gets frustrating to explain. And in a brief answer to that question, I agree, NO. As far as I know there is no "Exact" percentage discharge number, and even if there was it would vary from battery to battery. Anywhere between 30% to 50% should be fine for storage. So if you are below say the 30% level, there may be no auto discharge at all. Just not a good way to determine exactly what that number is, unless you have the test equipment to do so. But if you know for certain that you have a fully charged battery that has been sitting and has not started auto discharge, use it before that time and you won't have to worry about it. That's what the discharge is for. To protect the battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94