Battery wiggles?

First: the brighter light issue.

The lights are exactly the same. He pointed out on the one that has the smooth, less light bright LEDs and the "brighter" one and it's not the light. It's the matting around the light.

I'm amazed I didn't notice this. For anyone that has a "good" one and a bright one, compare the matting material around the LEDs and you will see that they are two different materials. The lights are exactly the same.

As for the wiggle room, at least with the bats I brought him, he said that while they are definitely different they should work. People that don't do their preflight check which, by the way, includes making sure you have a good connection of the bat should definitely be doing this.

He said, as I did, that if one pin disconnects, the bird will just drop, however, he is less concerned about that.

I asked him would he bet his life vs $200,000 that it wouldn't fall out and he said for sure.

HOWEVER, he said that his larger concern (although not a strong concern) is that the battery would fall out, not that it would disconnect from a pin.

He said some other things that I can't remember but in general, he thinks it's a QC issue and he wasn't thrilled about it but he thinks it's safe to fly but not AS safe as the non wigglers.

Last edited:
First: the brighter light issue.

The lights are exactly the same. He pointed out on the one that has the smooth, less light bright LEDs and the "brighter" one and it's not the light. It's the matting around the light.

I'm amazed I didn't notice this. For anyone that has a "good" one and a bright one, compare the matting material around the LEDs and you will see that they are two different materials. The lights are exactly the same.

As for the wiggle room, at least with the bats I brought him, he said that while they are definitely different and with people's that don't do their preflight check which by the way includes making sure you have a good connection of the bat, that it should be a problem.

He said, as I did, that if one pin disconnects, the bird will just drop, however, he is less concerned about that.

I asked him would he bet his life vs $200,000 that it wouldn't fall out and he said for sure.

HOWEVER, he said that his larger concern (although not a strong concern) is that the battery would fall out, not that it would disconnect from a pin.

He said some other things that I can't remember but in general, he thinks it's a QC issue and he wasn't thrilled about it but he thinks it's safe to fly but not AS safe as the non wigglers.

I wouldn't worry about the pins disconnecting, the pins have multiple pins that are positive and negative. I would worry about it falling out.

P4 Battery Pinouts.jpg

I am going to go buy a battery at best buy and see what the deal is with their batteries.

]He said some other things that I can't remember but in general, he thinks it's a QC issue and he wasn't thrilled about it but he thinks it's safe to fly but not AS safe as the non wigglers.

So maybe those that are buying the half price offer batteries ARE getting the ones rejected by QC!

So maybe those that are buying the half price offer batteries ARE getting the ones rejected by QC!
As shitty as their CS is I really wouldn't put it past them as a company to pull some nonsense like that tbh

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: fcat
I just had a couple new batteries come in and now not only do I have the LED brightness issue which was just a consistency concern, I now have a concern of safety.

All of the new batteries that just came in do not slip in to place like ones I currently have.

I can take one finger and push my other batteries in and they snap right in and dont even have a nano-inch of movement.

The new batteries, if I don't take extra special care snapping it in, it will have a large gap on the bottom and I am almost certain would fall out mid-flight. I can manage to get it in and hold in place using two hands and making sure it's perfectly flush but even then it has some wiggle movement that my good bats don't have. It seems locked that it wouldn't be a problem but it's not the safest feeling in the world.

Now this is on 4 batteries. I remember reading, at least a couple times of people with this issue, but I brushed it off as usual until it happens to you.

I called DJI and they told me to make a video of it and send it to them and I did. I might post the vid on YouTube and if I do, I'll post it here later but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Anyhow, these are being replaced by DJI so no harm but still, so much strangeness!
Take a flat file and adjust any fit issues on the battery, not the P4 itself. Also, I use a clear piece of Gorilla packing tape on my batteries after insertion as insurance....I had one back out on my P3. If it does not fully snap in place, the tape might save the day.

I am going to go buy a battery at best buy and see what the deal is with their batteries.
I just answered that literally 2 posts before yours. Post #22.

I can't believe I didn't see it but the second I showed him (a friend of mine that's an engineer and authorized seller and repair man for DJI) immediately showed me was a mat finish on the "less bright, more evenly distributed LED).

My guess is for cost, they lowered it by removing the better plastic on top of the LEDs that give it the better look but in all honesty if none of us saw the first one, we wouldn't think "this one is too bright and not uniform!".

My personal issue is just that of consistency. With something that flies in the air, and when it doesn't breaks, the concerns are valid and justified if people so have them. If you don't fine, but stop commenting on "you don't care". I have never seen a real life situation where someone comes INTO a conversation that they weren't even having to tell the ones who are "I don't care about what you're talking about. Good day. Do you have the time". Yes, that conversation sounds stupid, and you (YOU BEING THE INTERRUPTER, not a named person here).

Back on track, however the other concern was the wiggle.

On that, I am happy to say the next two bats that I just got, are perfect. Like my originals, they move a tiny drop, but nothing concerning. The others however, I am actually nervous to fly with until I find out for sure it's okay. I just gave one the white knuckler and IN LA IT STARTED raining and I swore I wondered if the Good Lord was telling me to put my bird away. Ha. But seriously it flew fine, although VERY short because of the rain.

So, I dunno, according to him, because the pins are so deep, there isn't much concern of a pin coming off (which was my main concern because with that much movement with the wind in the sky), it didn't seem imossible. He said, it wouldn't be his first choice, but he would fly with it. There are about 2-3 different levels of how bad the few bats I have are. Unsurprisngly, the one that came with the bird is the only one that doesn't move AT ALL. I would like them all to be that way please, There is only one that will definitely be RMA'd. It's not flight worthy, plain and simple. Other than that, I don't think I have one that I wouldn't use. I have a couple more I'm hoping come in and we will see.

I have to say, with them calling me from Shenzhen, and the way they treated me from the Chinese headquarters, I have to give it up to them. She was ligitimadedly cocerned, didn't act like she never heard of this before (like the Burbank guys do and they are lying), was very complimentary and thankful for all of my purchases from them over the years. I was happily surprised at the attention they were giving to me as a long time customer. Apple is that way and even if it's for business reasons, it's endearing, and helps you feel safe that they are on your side for every reason they should be.

So, for the 3rd time, the light issue is a non-issue The lights are just that way because they changed the matting on the lights. Look at them. So obvious.

The battery wiggling issue is TBD. I think if you have an egregious one and your instinct tells you it is not air worthy that you should listen. They are aware of people asking about this and are checking things. I believe the light issue was just solved by my boy (I don't know if he wants me to use his name) was the person that first showed this. Sometimes you just have an eye that other don't. People with both are all wondering how they didn't see it right now.

As shitty as their CS is I really wouldn't put it past them as a company to pull some nonsense like that tbh

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Just insane.

This is a massive corporation with an evalation of over 10 billion dollars. They aren't some shady dude on ebay trying to pull a fast one on you.

Some of you people, probably the same ones trying to get off the grid (good luck with that) are getting a little too conspiracy theorish. Yeah for sure it's possible but the more likely answer (which is usually the right one to the tune of about 99%) is that there is just a QC issue (and not even a QC issue to them) because the batteries are fine to fly, they are just cominf off a production line and parts that millimeters make changes in the complete movement.

I'm with you. I want it all RIGHT, and I want it ALL RIGHT, all the time. But it is what it is.

They didn't put a pile of bat batteries, reset them and say "lets send these to our stupid Apple customers". I'm almost positive of this. My only reason, is that it's a bizarre thought. I think.

I too had this issue. Posted a couple days ago with video. Sending it back for a replacement
Wow. That bad huh?

I only have one that I might consider a real hazard.

I should be clear here. I don't like that it's not exactly the same. I do not, however, think that there is enough of an issue here to actually make the batter disconnect, work differently or otherwise make the bird not fly right.

The problem is, is that there is something different, and it is showing a difference. The LEDs. They look a lot different. At the end of the day, the only difference is that they are using a different plastic around the LED part. It's very easy to see around the "softer" ones, there is a more matted material which distributed the light evenly which looks better but is probably a more expensive material and the brighter ones don't look bad or anything but I don't care about that,

However, the bat movement is a different story. If I had to bet my life on it, I would bet that they would be fine and never disconnect. However, if I'm wrong, and I certainly could be, the results would be complete annihilation.

Since the offer was made for Apple purchase ONLY, is DJI hating Apple customers?

Since the offer was made for Apple purchase ONLY, is DJI hating Apple customers?
C'mon! Don't be silly ;)

Ok, so in case you haven't read me say it yet (I'm speaking to the forum), there is no issue with the brighter lights. Look at the material. The ones that aren't as brighter are simply using a different matte finish that more evenly distrubutes the light on the LEDs. Makes them softer and looking even. Without that, it's just a clear plastic that shows the underbelly of the LED. Not a big deal at all. Effects nothing other than how it looks. Both look fine so let's stop talking about the lights, this is a non-issue. The weird thing is the battery moving and wiggling more than the other. That can't be explained away and and the light explanation came from a head engineer friend of mine from Drone's Plus. For people that don't know, Drones Plus for these type of sales of the NON-HUGE stores, are pretty much the DJI go to group. They are an authorized seller and repair so this guy knows DJI stuff from an engineering level better than any of us by a long shot. That was his immediate response and I could see it immediately. The scary part is why the DJI people didn't know that and say that. That's what makes me more nuts than the issues themselves.

The battery concerns me. Anything that attatches to an aircraft, unlessed designed to do so SHOULD HAVE ZERO MOVEMENT. Movement on non-moving part of an aircraft are enough to ground one and have it repaired and event though this is a cheap aircraft, it's one none-the-less so the concern is not unfounded.

I called DJI and like the others that did, they were asked to send a video to R&D which I did.

I'll let you know what they say.

My concern level is not that high. I flew with one today (the best one) and it worked fine. It started to rain and I had to quickly land, it never really rains here even when it pretends to but it started pouring about 20 second after I landed. HA!

Ok, so this video was NEVER MADE FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION, THIS IS JUST A VIDEO I WAS ASKED by DJI to make and send them. This isn't even uploaded to my You Tube channel which please subscribe to. :) [email protected] I put all my Phantom 4 videos on that channel. I have some really good ones about to drop.

So enough stalling, 6 full minuted chalked full of wiggling batteries and brighter LEDs!!!! WOOOHOOOO come on honey, turn off Star Wars, its on!!!

I am positive DJI did not know of battery problem/difference. DJI doe not make the batteries, the company that makes them screwed up in molding. An easy fix for DJI is to return the "bad" batteries to the maker and replace the top cover only.
WOW!!!!
I would NOT trust the batteries that do not engage equally on both tabs. Is the price of sending them back more that the price of the P4?
Just checked my 3 batts (original + 2 couponed) and all are the same.

Looks like the brighter battery is the one with latching problems also???
Production line change or different battery manufacturer? Maybe there is such a high demand for batteries that DJI contracted with 2 different battery manufacturers?
Whatever is not the same as the original battery included with the drone I would send back.

Looks like the brighter battery is the one with latching problems also???
Production line change or different battery manufacturer? Maybe there is such a high demand for batteries that DJI contracted with 2 different battery manufacturers?
Whatever is not the same as the original battery included with the drone I would send back.
That's what I think. There is a second (or maybe, fourth or fifth) production line and it is different.

The light plastic were probably sanctioned as okay by DJI, and I could not care less about that now that I see it's just a different plastic, but I would be lying if said I wasn't at least a little concern of the one that wiggles.

Fun fact; this thread represent 78% of the use of the world wiggle in my life.

Last edited:
I got my extra batteries as part of the extra two batteries deal from an official DJI dealer, the batteries arrived after 10 days or so as there seems to have been a shortage of them. My batteries look the same as the original, just thought I'd mention this for comparison. Battery serials on mine posted above.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl