Battery warning but still 35% charged

Reaction score
I am running 2200 phantom stock batteries. Last year i was getting about 6 minutes flight time. Over the winter I stored the batteries at storage value with the Hitec plus charger, but i ketp the batteries in the fridge over the winter. Now, i am getting 4 to 4 and a half minutes till the red flashing on the phantom 1. Did i kill the batteries. Why does it say on my cell meter 35 % charged. I used to fly till 14%. I even tried a turnigy 2200 it flew 6 minutes till warnig flashes, and battery meter shows the standard 14%. It seems the batteries under power are very weak, but at rest it jumps up to 35%. Is it time to change the batteries. Can a full discharge and charge fix it? What is going on?

Is the world coming to and end? Lol

I had saw on a previous post that if you go into your Naza Assistant software, with a fully charged battery you can "calibrate" the battery level on the same page where you tell it what to do when the battery gets to two different low levels.

Lemme see if I can find it.

Edit: No luck, but I'm referring to the calibrate button off the image from this website http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M_Voltage_Monitor

As a note, it works perfectly on a new battery. The one year old ones a registering weird. Yes, the is a battery calibrate in the naza. I will find it and compare what it sees, and what is true. Good way to look. I will let you know. If you find more info on discrepancies between two batteries, that would be interesting.

Hmm, I will assume if it works good on a new battery then that calibration piece I mentioned might not be of assistance.

Your lipos might just be toast even though you stored them properly from what all I've read.

About 30 to 40 seconds after the warning at 30 percent, it jumps down to 14 percent. So i think the batteries have lived their life. I did look at them on the naza software and it did register what my volt meter was reading so not a software issue.

xstatic said:
About 30 to 40 seconds after the warning at 30 percent, it jumps down to 14 percent. So i think the batteries have lived their life. I did look at them on the naza software and it did register what my volt meter was reading so not a software issue.

Yes, it sounds like you're experiencing an increase in internal resistance (inability to discharge/flow the capacity of the battery) and excess voltage sag. Time for new batteries.

I used to store batteries in the fridge but nowadays if I know they'll be unused for a few weeks/months I leave them at 3.8v/cell and keep them in a cool dry place (in a ceramic, covered planter in the garage).

OK? I am experiencing the same thing, 35% remaining with battery warning, with a couple of my older batteries. I agree they are probably getting a little long in tooth and time to go to their final resting place. I am starting to do a search on the proper way of disposing them. One of the first places I looked at was this one:

http://konarcflyers.com/Lipo-Disposal.pdf

It looks like a lot hoops to jump through, but out of respect of harm these batteries could do. I will do what is necessary. Any other suggestions?

dcoski said:
OK? I am experiencing the same thing, 35% remaining with battery warning, with a couple of my older batteries. I agree they are probably getting a little long in tooth and time to go to their final resting place. I am starting to do a search on the proper way of disposing them. One of the first places I looked at was this one:

http://konarcflyers.com/Lipo-Disposal.pdf

It looks like a lot hoops to jump through, but out of respect of harm these batteries could do. I will do what is necessary. Any other suggestions?

I've always had "battery recycling" stations at work, it's worth checking. I believe that lipos, once discharged, can be disposed of like other batteries (as in, properly and not just to landfill). But you do want to discharge them completely (I'd say the 12v bulb method or bucket full of salt water) to deplete the energy potential.

Many chain office supply stores have a place for re-cycling cell phone batteries. They are lipo as well. I drop mine in with the cell phone batteries.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20