Battery Question

Reaction score
I have my low battery warning set to 30% and critical level set to 10%. When I get a warning at 30% Appox. how many minutes of flight do I have left, with no wind??? Also if video is recording, does it cut down on flight time??? I always keep my P4 in VLOS. I just want to make sure that I always have time to RTH.

Thanks in advance

Minutes can rapidly become seconds. Don't have your bird to far away once your going below 50 percent and start landing on your 30 percent and you wont go far wrong. Remember, its better to have a little juice left in your battery than a downed bird with severe damage or worse, totalled.

Reactions: chadrob30
Looking at my last flight, the battery hit 30% when I was 1925 feet out. The flight back from that point took 1 minute 43 seconds. I landed with 22% remaining.

So, to extrapolate, you probably have about 2 to 3 minutes before you go from 30% to 10% depending on the condition of the battery and how hard you're flying. (A full forward stick takes quite a bit more power than simply hovering)

Note that DJI Go is constantly watching your battery level and distance. If you're a fair distance away with the battery level getting low, you will get a popup notice letting you know an automatic return will be initiated. You can accept it or cancel. (I got one just this morning when I was flying).

That's all well and good but don't forget to factor in for unknown factors, ie wind. What if you are returning home and there is a large flock of seagulls or crows start crossing your flight path which has happened to me meaning you may have to hold location for a few minutes or so before returning. All I will say is that, if you fly by the wire then you greatly increase the chance of a crash due to lack of power, I would always air on the side of caution.

If you just wanted to hover and land, it would not matter how many minutes you had left. So let's assume that you want to continue to fly at 30%. As you are flying, there is no perfect answer. I'd say you probably have at least 2 minutes before getting down to around 10%. If you are within LOS this _should_ be plenty of time to land. You can easily test this on your own. Fly about 20' away from you at 30% and see how long it takes to get down to 15%. That is a good idea of how long you have. If the Phantom kicks up a RTH warning, you can simply cancel and land within a few seconds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers