Battery Life limit

Reaction score
Hello

My battery which is around 70 times charged, when checking battery life (holding battery button for 5 seconds) shows 3 leds and the 3rd one is blinking.

At what point i should stop using this battery, how much longer and how to dump it when time comes?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

Assuming it doesn't puff, use it as long as the flight times are acceptable. Capacity is what lessens over time.
(Puffing alone is no reason to stop using it)

Always watch the voltage of the cells. If one has quite a bit of deviation from the others and a deep discharge can't fix it, the battery may need to be retired soon.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: t2adze
These batteries deteriorate over period of time and use and show following:

1. Cell to cell voltage deviations increase giving a sign that one of the cells is losing life. Even one cell loses life, whole battery is unusable.

2. Battery charge holding capacity decreases. This you can see on DJI Go app after full charge and compare with its rated capacity. Losing capacity will let you know that battery is dying. You will notice that discharge time sharply reduces and at that point of time you got to dispose it off.

3. Overheating of batteries due to exposure to heat or charging in hot conditions will result into swelling of battery and if you see that, immediately dispose it off else you will be sitting on fire.

I personally take the reported capacity in the app with a grain of salt. I have noticed it varies greatly with different flights. One flight it may report 4400 mah while another report only 4100 mah, and my flight times are always the same.

You should categorize your batteries based age and use. Then use each battery based on what type of flying you plan to do. When these batteries get older it's the cells that are what determines what you can and can not do. If there is a weak cells say in cold weather, then you will have very limited flying time. You WILL want to monitor such batteries volt display on the screen during flight!

Btw, with the more recent aircraft (a/c) firmware, and using a older battery, you will see more propulsion warnings the longer you fly. Just know that what is taking place is, the smart battery has been programmed to reduce voltage use based on remaining voltage percentage. Not the overall remaining volts, but the percentage of usable volts. The aircraft(a/c) requires X-Amount of volts to operate. Anything less then X-Amount of volts, the a/c will not function. At this point, and depending on what firmware is installed, the a/c will either RTH, Land, or Shut off. Btw, if you have RTH set in this instance and have a high altitude level set, you will be in trouble very quickly. Ascending upward (or climbing to a higher altitude) is the #1 method for using up the battery voltage supply. You can expect to drop out of the sky in this case.

Last edited:
You should categorize your batteries based age and use. Then use each battery based on what type of flying you plan to do. When these batteries get older it's the cells that are what determines what you can and can not do. If there is a weak cells say in cold weather, then you will have very limited flying time. You WILL want to monitor such batteries volt display on the screen during flight!

Btw, with the more recent aircraft (a/c) firmware, and using a older battery, you will see more propulsion warnings the longer you fly. Just know that what is taking place is, the smart battery has been programmed to reduce voltage use based on remaining voltage percentage. Not the overall remaining volts, but the percentage of usable volts. The aircraft(a/c) requires X-Amount of volts to operate. Anything less then X-Amount of volts, the a/c will not function. At this point, and depending on what firmware is installed, the a/c will either RTH, Land, or Shut off. Btw, if you have RTH set in this instance and have a high altitude level set, you will be in trouble very quickly. Ascending upward (or climbing to a higher altitude) is the #1 method for using up the battery voltage supply. You can expect to drop out of the sky in this case.
When saying monitor the voltages, what exactly do you mean? I have voltage on main screen always. And what should i exactly monitor and accordingly do?

No worries. I was just answering your question above.

No deviation is good. If the cells are not close when the battery is fully charged, you should cycle it.

There is no magic number of recharges for any battery. It all depends on how you care for your batteries and how healthy they remain over time.

No worries. I was just answering your question above.

No deviation is good. If the cells are not close when the battery is fully charged, you should cycle it.

There is no magic number of recharges for any battery. It all depends on how you care for your batteries and how healthy they remain over time.

Thank you! :)
"You should cycle it" means stop using it? (Sorry English not my first language) :)

Thank you! :)
"You should cycle it" means stop using it? (Sorry English not my first language) :)

"Cycle it" means you should fly the drone so the battery runs down very low, about 8%. Then charge it up completely to 100%.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.