Battery Connectors

Reaction score
I'm trying to standardize my battery connectors. It seems like everybody has their preference. Is there any one type that is superior in performance? They all seem to get the job done; however, I've heard of problems with loose fit, etc, with some connectors. Any insight would be appreciated. :?: I'm completing my F550 build and would like to do it once and be done. (lol)

I started with Deans, but found they spark when trying to connect. I say trying, because they seem to distort during soldering, making it hard to get a good quick connection. So now I'm into XT60 connectors - miles better, and don't melt or distort.

CallMeAlan said:
I started with Deans, but found they spark when trying to connect. I say trying, because they seem to distort during soldering, making it hard to get a good quick connection. So now I'm into XT60 connectors - miles better, and don't melt or distort.
I'm wondering if the cable size for 5000+ batteries I have in mind might be better suited to XT90s. What is the max. cable size for the XT60s?

(toys still nice and safe Alan ;) )

I'm given to believe that XT60s are good for 70 amps, but I take your point about the physical size, and XT90s might give a better soldering task. Soldering those fat wires was possibly the hardest part of building my 550.

(Might pop down to Toys 'r' Us at the weekend Discv! Get some more.)

Thanks Alan. Think I might have a closer look at these XT90s. Apart from the increased cable capacity, they may be easier for this old guys fingers to get hold of.

Re the toys- admin there are now really on the ball!

Anybody out there try the Anderson Power Pole connectors? I've read a bunch of good stories about the APP connectors and it seems like most of the ham radio community uses them. They are crimp style connectors and appear provide a solid connection. I've also read that some people solder the wire to the connectors versus crimp.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik