Battery charging

My angle works perfectly for me... it keeps my batteries at an acceptable level. ...

Oh dear, another reverting to insults when asked a reasonable question politely. Folks I don’t believe he understands the point that it’s entirely unnecessarily with smart DJI batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear, another reverting to insults when asked a reasonable question politely. Folks I don’t believe he understands the point that it’s entirely unnecessarily with smart DJI batteries.
Either he has batteries that need the function supplied by the Angel device, or he just wants to feel justified in his purchase. I personally don’t have a problem with either. But since he couldn’t fill in the blanks, I tried to.

It’s interesting he dumped on me when I didn’t really offer an opinion on the device. But at least I don’t live next to him. ;)

Reactions: Loz
For anyone else interested in what the Angel claims to do I found the site (turns out it’s not “angle” which is why I couldn’t find it initially). I make no value judgment on their claim now whether these functions are valuable. Just answering my own question.

From what I gather, it claims to do two things the DJI battery itself won’t do: 1) periodic deep cycle discharge and 2) discharge to 50% in a half hour vs. 3 days (again, according to their website).

Hopefully this will help make an informed decision.

I understand you are not the originator of the ANGEL post and claims ... so lets take the 'benefits' part ....

"1) periodic deep cycle discharge and 2) discharge to 50% in a half hour vs. 3 days "

Number 1 : Deep discharge has been debunked so often by anyone who is actually knowledgeable about LiPo's - that this is NOT a benefit but in fact can lead to shorter life.

Number 2 : This is only of benefit IF you have a DJI product that does not allow user to set auto discharge days. DJI batterys once auto discharge sets in - are 2 days not 3.
There are many plug in adaptors from 3rd party that can discharge DJI batterys and many only cost a few $ ... my Telsin was about $5 ... and the power it discharges provides charging for any USB cabled item ... such as mobile phone ... tablet ...camera ... even the laptop cooler I put under my P3P when doing any bench testing !

I am always amazed at how people spend hard earned money ........

For anyone else interested in what the Angel claims to do I found the site (turns out it’s not “angle” which is why I couldn’t find it initially). I make no value judgment on their claim now whether these functions are valuable. Just answering my own question.

From what I gather, it claims to do two things the DJI battery itself won’t do: 1) periodic deep cycle discharge and 2) discharge to 50% in a half hour vs. 3 days (again, according to their website).

Hopefully this will help make an informed decision.
Neither of those two things is required with current DJI packs. Deep discharge puts unnecessary charge cycles and stress on the cells with no benefit. This is interesting given the commentary on the Angel website suggesting it is required to keep the estimated capacity remaining. While deep discharge may have recalibrated batteries with simple coulomb counting schemes the impedance track and gas gauging algorithms in current DJI battery chipsets maintain capacity accuracy within 1% of actual for the life of the pack with no need for deep discharge to keep them honest. It might be argued there is a minor benefit in bringing a pack down from full quicker for storage. It’s probably of no significance in the scheme of things.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
There are many plug in adaptors from 3rd party that can discharge DJI batterys and many only cost a few $ ... my Telsin was about $5 ... and the power it discharges provides charging for any USB cabled item ... such as mobile phone ... tablet ...camera ... even the laptop cooler I put under my P3P when doing any bench testing !
When it comes to a Phantom 4, the 3-battery charging hub from DJI provides the discharge functionality. Just flick the switch to Storage and it discharges the batteries down to a safe level. I see no advantage at all to spending the money on a Phantom Angel. As stated by others, it can in fact degrade batteries by performing a deep discharge.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94