Battery charging

Reaction score
I know these batteries are different as far as charging and leaving charged. I have the Mavic 2 zoom with the smart discharge at 10 days. How far in advance can I charge my batteries before flying?

Also I shouldn't have to drain them since they are smart drain batteries right?

I know these batteries are different as far as charging and leaving charged. I have the Mavic 2 zoom with the smart discharge at 10 days. How far in advance can I charge my batteries before flying?

I always top my batteries off before flight. I have mine set at 3 days to auto discharge. You still need to check them I have a couple of batteries that do not self-discharge.

How far in advance can I charge my batteries before flying? = 10 but
If you know your not going to fly for say 6 days then charge on the fifth day

One of the advantages of LiION chemistry is relatively low self discharge. A disadvantage is that keeping cells at max SOC does accelerate the aging process- usable capacity will be impacted at a faster. They can be charged well in advance of use (you will need to fiddle with the power button occasionally to defeat the auto discharge) but consistently doing so will give reduced lifespan. Choice is yours.

Reactions: Loz
Buy the Phantom Angle with the Mavic cords used to discharge the battery safely. Great piece to maintain healthy batteries! cost is a lot cheaper than having to buy batteries because of poor maintenance.

G

Buy the Phantom Angle with the Mavic cords used to discharge the battery safely. Great piece to maintain healthy batteries! cost is a lot cheaper than having to buy batteries because of poor maintenance.

G
It is hard to understand what benefit the phantom angel might provide with the current smart batteries. Can you think of one?

Has worked perfect for me. The Angle keps my Mavic and Phantoms at an acceptable level for storage and use. What's your problem or differences with the Angle?

Has worked perfect for me. The Angle keps my Mavic and Phantoms at an acceptable level for storage and use. What's your problem or differences with the Angle?
Worked perfectly how? I am simply curious to learn what benefit the ange is claimed to provide with the current smart batteries. With bare liPO’s I can see how it might be a very useful device. What has it done perfectly for you that the auto discharge feature wouldn’t have achieved?

Reactions: Quest-So
As stated previously... My Angle works to keep my batteries at an accetable level. Why do you dislike this device?
I think it’s a reasonable question. What benefits over the auto discharge feature?

As stated previously... My Angle works to keep my batteries at an accetable level. Why do you dislike this device?
I don’t dislike nitrogen gas but I’m not going to have my vehicle tyres inflated with it in preference to regular atmospheric air. Not unless the effort and expense has a demonstrated benefit.

I have used liPO batteries in various RC models for many years and understand keeping them at or near full SOC was a good way to reduce their service life. I used to discharge them to below 40% manually when needed. The current DJI batteries auto discharge so why might I need any device to do that for me?

Is there another benefit I have missed?

With the Mavic 2 batteries that have a 10 day to commencement for auto discharge if I find myself with a pack at full charge that didn’t get flown I will use it to charge my iPad or controller.

There are various items out there for sale that in reality are unnecessary. DJI has given the user a smart battery system to avoid storing batterys at too high a charged condition .. as one of the functions.

Personally I consider 10 days too long for batterys to stay before auto-discharge. Why ? Because degradating / damage / reduction of LiPo is accumulative. So each time you stand that LiPo too long before it reverts to storage level adds another small amount to its degradation.
I like the 2 or 3 day auto setting (I believe that some later DJI gear does not allow User option on this ? and sits as 10 days fixed ?).

There is no need for smart gadgets to only reproduce what the smart battery can do for itself. I have all manner of adaptors for DJI batterys to LiPo chargers ... Telsin discharger ... etc. and they all sit in the drawer unless I have a specific reason such as the Telsin providing power to USB cable item from a DJI pack ...

As to original question of how long to leave a battery and still fly ... I am super cautious on this and do not like having more than 1 day between charge and flight ...

Reactions: AuldGimpy
It looks like the lack of answer to the question about the “Phantom Angle” is the answer itself. I was thinking we might see something about added value such as not letting a battery drop too low over extended storage time. Or something else I might be missing (for example, on my lead acid car and boat batteries I don’t use a simple trickle charger. I use a trickle charger that pulses to desulphate the battery. I know that doesn’t apply here with LiPo batts. But just an example of some kind of additional function beyond the obvious).

This puts the story of your altercation with your neighbor in a whole new light.

Cheers.

My angle works perfectly for me... it keeps my batteries at an acceptable level.........

And a couple of us simply asked what value it adds over the smart battery capability built into the DJI intelligent batteries. I, for one, offered no opinion. It’s a fair question and an example of being open minded. Had I gotten a substantive answer to that I might have bought one. But given that no answer was offered then I had to take the default: there is no added value. If there is then I’m still all ears and willing to be educated on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone else interested in what the Angel claims to do I found the site (turns out it’s not “angle” which is why I couldn’t find it initially). I make no value judgment on their claim now whether these functions are valuable. Just answering my own question.

From what I gather, it claims to do two things the DJI battery itself won’t do: 1) periodic deep cycle discharge and 2) discharge to 50% in a half hour vs. 3 days (again, according to their website).

Hopefully this will help make an informed decision.

Last edited:
My angle works perfectly for me... it keeps my batteries at an acceptable level....
The question isn’t how much you like the product- it’s whether people may need it. That is if it provjides a benefit with the later DJI batteries. If your unable to assist with an explanation other than it’s great because you like it then that fine- no need to carry on with unfounded accusations. Some of us are genuinely interested in facts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik