battery cell damaged error

Reaction score
the other day I was flying the phantom 4 near a high tension line -380 kV-. Was looking at the insulators and less than 2 meters from the line.

Suddenly I got a "battery cell damaged" warning. Went back to my taking off point -about 1 km away- and landed.

Canceled the error message and looked at the battery menu. Everything just fine. Then tested the battery and it just performs flawlessly.

Did anybody experience any such error message while flying in the vicinity of a high voltage line?

I had this same error, not while flying near power transmission lines but while on my second flight of my P4P using one of my old P4 batteries (less than 20 charge cycles).

There is another thread here where someone's P4 fell from the sky after seeing that error. I would contact DJI for a replacement if you are still within the 6 months of battery Warranty, otherwise just use the pack for firmware updates etc but do not fly it again.

You can check your battery cells on Healthydrones, mine had major deviations in cell 4. Mine was one of the original P4 batteries as I bought them all at launch. a couple months later DJI started making an revised P4 battery, I thought it was due to the cracking plastic on the button face, maybe they changed the battery as well.

Last edited:
Not close to a power line but just like you and after landing and a restart it was OK. A few weeks later with the same battery showing 98% I got a damaged cell messeage and the motors did not arm. In the battery section of GO the message was defective battery return to dji for repair, I did and they sent me a new battery. Keep a eye on it. High power lines do at time cause strange things to happen to our birds. Me over only a 14.4kv line was in a hover maby 10 feet over and 20 feet to the side and when I let go of the sticks the bird drifted exactly over the line and stayed there hovering, I had to push quite a bit on the sticks to get it to move away.

is there a way to find which battery gave me the error? I did not notice its number and now I don't know anymore which one it is....

As with all high power overhead lines, strong magnetic fields are produced which can interfere with the operation of other electrical circuits as in the phantom.
Moving away from such interference and rebooting the system will fix most issues. Not sure if warnings like that are stored in the flight log,. you could always check the flight logs

I have uploaded the flight record to healtydrones, so I could find out which battery I was using.

Things getting a bit more complex:

the battery cell broken message went out well before I got near the power line, at least that's what I see in the flight analysis of healtydrone. On the other hand all data regarding the battery look just fine.

29.05 minutes of flight time per battery with roundtrip distance of 6.9 km. Under battery cells all look good, "All good: no major deviations were found".

Now do I have to take the battery as defective? I could try to let the phantom hover near to the ground and drain the battery to see if I get any other error message....

Yes that would be a good idea, maybe two or three charges worth in hover just in case. Got to be worth a try. Was just wondering if the battery was fully inserted in the bird at the time of the fault or maybe a little dirt on the contacts, keep us posted on your findings

tried now a flight with the suspicious battery.

-1 C outside temp. kept it flying at full speed in sport mode. Almost 80 km/h and battery drainage above 25 amp on several instances -mostly when going from full forward to full backward-. Went all the way to 10%. No error and healtydrones says everything is ok.

Now do I have to take the battery as defective? I could try to let the phantom hover near to the ground and drain the battery to see if I get any other error message....
I wouldn't fly with that battery again until you are confident what the problem was. It may be bad, it may not.

Fly with a different one. If the problem recurs, suspect the drone. If not, write that other battery off and dispose of it.

A battery's 1/10th the cost of the drone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers