Batteries needed. 2700mah worth it?

That's a bit of a tricky one to answer, as it really depends on what kind of flying you wish to do, or rather, how worth it is for you to have the longest flight time possible.

Once you start adding accessories (= extra weight), flight times diminish.
But paying 2.5x more for a battery that give you an additional 20% flight time can actually make some sense if you really want to ensure you'll have enough juice to go a little further out or stay up a little longer and still have enough to safely fly back and land. And in the big picture, if you're flying $1k worth of gear (or much more), spending $100 for four batteries isn't too outrageous.

That said, if extended flight times isn't too crucial, you can get a lot more bang for the buck with the $10 batteries.

I fly with the regular batteries (7 of them now), and while I only gets me 5.5- 6 minute flights on my heavy Phantom, I can live with it. (since my bigger copter gives me 8-11 minute flights).

(if you haven't looked into it already, consider getting Vision-style props as well, they'll increase flight time a bit too)

I personally like the maddog 2700mah batteries from 2dogrc.com coupled with the vision props from uavproducts.com

I get about 10 minutes with my 1.1.1 + gimbal + fpv setup + gopro hero3+

I find ten minutes or so from the standard battery is often enough in one session so not a big deal changing batteries and you get more air time from an additional smaller one - plus less $ invested in each one - which will eventually start to fail.
The bigger one will take longer to charge too.
Might make sense to have a larger one to put in if you know your planned flight is going to be tight on the 2.2
The larger ones are a shade bigger and more fiddly to get in and out.

kydan said:
I personally like the maddog 2700mah batteries from 2dogrc.com coupled with the vision props from uavproducts.com

I've been seeing that alternate props might be a good idea.
I've got a 1.1.1 with self tightening props, does this mean I can use the 9" Phantom2 vision props?
http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=247

skywise said:
kydan said:

I've been seeing that alternate props might be a good idea.
I've got a 1.1.1 with self tightening props, does this mean I can use the 9" Phantom2 vision props?
http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=247

yep :) Those are what I use on mine to milk as much flight time as I can out of the batt (I use the same ones kydan recommends).

Be careful because the TERNEGY ones are rip off of the Turnigy batteries. If you want what you pay for it's someting to look out for.
And yes you do need all four props lol

Ozzyguy said:
Be careful because the TERNEGY ones are rip off of the Turnigy batteries. If you want what you pay for it's someting to look out for.
And yes you do need all four props lol

I've never seen (or can find now) any TERNEGY batteries. If you're thinking of TENERGY, they're actually a legit manufacturer of many types of rechargeable batteries that also just happens to make some hobby-type lipo's.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20