Batteries dead and gone?

Reaction score
I have two Phantom 3 batteries that were not charged for several years when my son had the drone but didn't fly it. One is the original DJI battery. One is an aftermarket one that I bought for backup. I have tried to charge them both for a full day but they don't take a charge. I'm trying to determine if I have to buy one or more new batteries or not. Also, if I do have to buy new batteries can I trust the +- 75$ aftemarket ones or should I suck it up and buy the 149$ DJI store replacement.? The discussion which follows applies to both batteries.

When I check the battery level by pushing the start button once, I get four flashes on the left most LED (LED #1).

When I plug the battery into the charger cord, the LED's light from left to right (#1-4) sequentially 4 times then all turn off.

When I try to turn on the battery by pressing once and then press again and hold two seconds, I get one left to right LED lighting sequence and the all off.

Is it possible to determine from these characteristics whether the batteries are irreversibly dead because of too long without a charge? I spent time with DJI tech on a chat and didn't get a clear answer. I tried a procedure I found on a website to awake the battery from hibernation but that didn't work either.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I have searched the forum and haven't found an answer but maybe I missed the right thread.

I have two Phantom 3 batteries that were not charged for several years when my son had the drone but didn't fly it. One is the original DJI battery. One is an aftermarket one that I bought for backup. I have tried to charge them both for a full day but they don't take a charge. I'm trying to determine if I have to buy one or more new batteries or not. Also, if I do have to buy new batteries can I trust the +- 75$ aftemarket ones or should I suck it up and buy the 149$ DJI store replacement.? The discussion which follows applies to both batteries.

When I check the battery level by pushing the start button once, I get four flashes on the left most LED (LED #1).

When I plug the battery into the charger cord, the LED's light from left to right (#1-4) sequentially 4 times then all turn off.

When I try to turn on the battery by pressing once and then press again and hold two seconds, I get one left to right LED lighting sequence and the all off.

Is it possible to determine from these characteristics whether the batteries are irreversibly dead because of too long without a charge? I spent time with DJI tech on a chat and didn't get a clear answer. I tried a procedure I found on a website to awake the battery from hibernation but that didn't work either.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I have searched the forum and haven't found an answer but maybe I missed the right thread.

Hi after messing with some old phantom 3 batteries testing bridging out etc trying different wiring etc to get them going again I’ve come to the conclusion that if the power is disconnected or plug removed from the pcb this kills the board and renders them a brick. So look after your good batteries .

I would like to add to the above all the Batteries I stripped out of 5 units I only had 1 with bad cells the rest all are holding their voltage’s and in good condition just the PCB’s letting them down. We could do with a technical boffin to find which part going down

if you open the battery and charge individual cells to 4V, you can revive the pack. If not, the BMS chip has locked the battery, you can reset the chip but you need some electronic skills and an EV2300 interface board. Disassembling lion batteries implies some risks. Do this only if you know what you are doing!

Thanks to all who have posted responses. I don’t have the expertise to open up the battery so it Looks like I need to buy a new battery. Any thoughts about aftermarket on Amazon vs DJI version for twice as much?

I recntly bought two aftermarket batteries for my Mavic Pro because: 1) I couldn't be sure the "DJI Batteries" adverstised were really factory new DJI items. The wording was vauge for several offerings. And 2) I wanted to try an aftermarket battery as the supply of the factory batteries dries up for these older models like your Phantom 3 (I own a P3A also). With the relative savings of the aftermarket batts I also purchased an Amazon two-year warrant policy, which wasn't much at all. So for two years I have the piece of mind that if the aftermarket batts don't perform, I'll get a refund. Many of us who still own and fly these older models will be dealing with this sooner or later.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik