Balancing CF props completely eliminated Jello!

Reaction score
So...my magnetic prop balancer arrived yesterday. I used it to balance four of the cheapo CF props I'd purchased - which experience had already taught me produced seriously crappy GoPro video from moderately severe jello. As suspected, they were badly out of balance, which I corrected by sanding. The "after balancing" video confirmed the balancing made a huge difference!

In actuality, I balanced the props for the benefit of the motor bearings because my interest in video creation (at least at this time) is minimal. I'm much more interested in getting back my flying skills after a 25 year lay-off - which means 90% of the time I'm going to be honking that Phantom around sans camera.

Anyhow...This is an entirely unprocessed short test video (~3 minutes) shot in GPS flight mode. The only thing I did was add introductory title and outro. Interested parties can see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_T80U-n ... e=youtu.be

This clearly indicates to me I did my motor bearings a HUGE favor with an investment in time of less than 20 minutes.

PF

Very nice....The perfect advertisment for encouraging fellow Phantom flyers to balance their props.

Spoken like a true (genius) engineer!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It amazes me that this simple and important step is routinely overlooked by so many. The frame, electronics and bearings (essentially the entire machine) will experience much greater longevity and reliable performance through its lifetime if vibration can be minimized.

Ever see one of the YouTube videos depicting the self-destruction of a washing machine run intentionally unbalanced by placing a brick inside? It literally tears itself apart and throws parts all over the yard. It's an extreme example, I know...but the principle is exactly the same. It's just WAY funnier and more dramatic when it's a washing machine!

PF

The biggest difference I noticed when I first balanced my props was the difference in sound. A video I shot the day before had the motors just roaring. The next day they were much smoother. I don't use a gimbal and I don't notice any jello at all with balanced props.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav