Bad battery?

Reaction score
I recently bought a used P2V+ that needed a gimbal repair. The wifi and gps seem to be working fine. The camera even works with the gimbal lock in place.

The first time I took it out, I put fresh batteries in the controller, and charged the battery, wifi repeater and my iphone to 100%. Calibrated the compass and took off. I wasn't in the air for more than 3-4 minutes before red lights started flashing and it was descending (I only had it at head level). I pushed the altitude lever all the way up, but it kept descending with the lights flashing. When it was landed, I looked and the battery was at 25%.

I've been going over this thing trying to figure out the gimbal problem, and have had the P2V+ on a lot. The battery depletes at what I would think would be a slow rate. Even if I get the motors running and move around to check the camera, everything is fine. The assistant software shows the battery condition as 97%, with 11 discharges.

I'm assuming that the battery is no good under load. Would this be your assessment, or is there another potential problem? I'll have another battery soon to test.

Thanks for any replies.

The camera even works with the gimbal lock in place.
It's not a good idea to do that. You should remove the gimbal lock before turning on your Phantom.

I pushed the altitude lever all the way up, but it kept descending with the lights flashing.
This means either your battery was critically low -- or, your Phantom thought it was critically low.

It sounds like this battery is no good. Is it puffy? If so, that's a common sign of a damaged battery.

I have the cables disconnected at the motors, except for the camera board.

The battery isn't swollen. I took it out of the Phantom and checked it with the assistant software, it's showing a charge of 25% or so, and on the charger it's also showing about 25%.

If you're positive it was 100% charged and was depleted to 25% in ~4 minutes, then it's likely that it's bad. You could try hooking it up to the Phantom Assistant application to see if there is a battery firmware update for it. You can do that by connecting your Phantom with that battery installed. That'll likely get you nowhere, but it'll be easy to try.

Also suggest cleaning the contacts and pins on battery and as important if not more important the Phantom. Use DeOxit or a contact/ tuner cleaner.

Cleaned the contacts and charged it up. Took it outside and flew it for just a couple of minutes. The power lights went from four to two pretty quickly, and the red flashing battery lights started. The Vision app on my iPhone was showing 80% or so charge. I turned off the Phantom, turned it on again, and three bars on the battery were showing.

I brought it in the house and hooked it up to the Assistant software. That was showing 79% charge. So was the Vision app. I held the copter tightly and let it run in the room. It wasn't long before I was down to one light on the battery, but the Vision and Assistant apps both showed 69% charge. Not even a minute later, the Vision app started sounding an alarm and showed 7% charge. The Assistant app also showed 7%

I don't know if this is all because the battery is flaky, or if there's more to it. I'll have to wait for a new battery to test it.

Cleaned the contacts and charged it up. Took it outside and flew it for just a couple of minutes. The power lights went from four to two pretty quickly, and the red flashing battery lights started. The Vision app on my iPhone was showing 80% or so charge. I turned off the Phantom, turned it on again, and three bars on the battery were showing.

I brought it in the house and hooked it up to the Assistant software. That was showing 79% charge. So was the Vision app. I held the copter tightly and let it run in the room. It wasn't long before I was down to one light on the battery, but the Vision and Assistant apps both showed 69% charge. Not even a minute later, the Vision app started sounding an alarm and showed 7% charge. The Assistant app also showed 7%

I don't know if this is all because the battery is flaky, or if there's more to it. I'll have to wait for a new battery to test it.
I had a battery with a similar problem: sudden drop in charge level and emergency landing after a 10-min flight. Replaced the battery and all's well.

BTW, if the gimbal isn't working (responding to commands nor providing a stable platform) I'd use the gimbal lock to hold in place, as you're doing.

Thanks, Birdman. That's reassuring. Well, sort of. I'd hate to have a battery go like that when the drone's not within arms reach. ;)

It was just as Birdman said. New batteries work fine,, and battery, Assistant and Vision software all show the same charge levels. I'm happy about that.

The seller of the P2V+ V3.0 I bought had advertised two batteries with it. I checked them at his house on the Assistant software, and found one was at 81% of its life. I started to walk and he gave me a new battery to go with the other new battery.

There's sure a lot of things that can cause these birds to drop out of the sky.

It was just as Birdman said. New batteries work fine,, and battery, Assistant and Vision software all show the same charge levels. I'm happy about that.

Want to send me your bad battery to test some ideas to see if we can revive them?

I dont think they have PM on this forum... email me and I will send it right back to you!

[email protected]

There's a small envelope icon in the upper right near your screen name. Use this for a PM 'conversation'.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20