Backpack for P4?

I just received this one - Koozam. It's the one I'm keeping. It's small (keep in mind that means you have to be really thoughtful about what you take and where you put it), but it's cheap ($99 on Amazon), light, and provides more protection that the soft without foam.

I just ordered the Manfrotto D1, will post a review on it soon. Is 22inchs tall so technically its 2 inches over the "carry on" limit. I don't see it being a problem. But will find out soon enough! I went with this one since it also has room for my camera gear as well as laptop/tablet. Kinda an all in one instead of having to carry two bags with camera gear along with the drone. I will do a full review of it and post a link after I get it. Should arrive on Thursday this week!

D1 Backpack for DJI Phantom

Reactions: Santiego
It's a great backpack. We recently did a review on it ourselves but I'm looking forward to your review. Especially the carry on part as we're not brave enough to try that :)

Just checked with my main airline carrier and it looks like this sucker will fit no issues.....

Carry-on bag
photo_suitcase_size.jpg

The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels.

Just checked with my main airline carrier and it looks like this sucker will fit no issues.....

Carry-on bag
photo_suitcase_size.jpg

The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels.
Should indeed be ok then.

External Height 56 cm/22.05 in
External Length 34 cm/13.39 in
External Width 23 cm/9.06 in

I have to recommend the Lowepro DroneGuard 450 as well. I bought it direct from store.lowepro.com and used the coupon code 404NoMore to get 25% off and free shipping. $200 shipped is a steal for how good this pack is.
187.46 shipped.

Lowepro is the way to go. I suck at videos, but here is a review I did on it to help some friends out.

If you don't want to watch the video, here is a pic of it in the bag checker from my trip to FL.
52988acf4f490b5543fb76cf4aa43542.jpg

The Lowepro offers some good protection, but I always recommend a hard case for flying. You never know when they are gonna ask you to put it under the plane. If you travel with a soft case, make sure you are one of the first to board to make sure there is enough bin storage and make sure you are flying on a descent size plane. Every year I fly to my wife's family in Arkansas. We fly into a little airport and half the time most of the carry on bags, even though they fit in the checker pictured above, are taken at the plane door, put under the plane with the checked bags and you get them back when you land. Good thing is, if this happens these bags are loaded on top of the checked bags, so you might not have a bunch of heavy bags thrown on top of your drone. This can also happen if you board late and there is no more room in the overhead storage bins. So, like I said earlier, try to board first.
Don't forget. If you are made to put your bag under the plane, remove the batteries. I would be discreet about it. Someone recently got kicked off a plane because he was asked to put his bag underneath the plane. He told them he had to get his batteries out first and when he explained why the pilot freaked out and told him that him or his batteries had to go. They gave him crap because of the drone too. There is a video explaining the ordeal on YouTube. I'll look for it. Although he was within his rights and wasn't breaking the rules set by the FAA, he got screwed because a pilot and a flight attendant didn't know what they were talking about. He was eventually apologized to by he airline and was given free tickets, but he still missed his flight and for some that can be a bigger deal.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: maseman88
Lowepro is the way to go. I suck at videos, but here is a review I did on it to help some friends out.

Hmm...I wonder if it was just a communication issue using the term "drone" oh well...I def would have raised a stink with the airline as well....missing a flight based on doing nothing illegal due to pilot not understanding its just a radio controlled helicopter, I would've been asking for one hell of a travel voucher!!

That all being said this price is very very tempting to get this bag as well and decide between it an the Manfrotto and return the other one.

If you don't want to watch the video, here is a pic of it in the bag checker from my trip to FL.
52988acf4f490b5543fb76cf4aa43542.jpg

The Lowepro offers some good protection, but I always recommend a hard case for flying. You never know when they are gonna ask you to put it under the plane. If you travel with a soft case, make sure you are one of the first to board to make sure there is enough bin storage and make sure you are flying on a descent size plane. Every year I fly to my wife's family in Arkansas. We fly into a little airport and half the time most of the carry on bags, even though they fit in the checker pictured above, are taken at the plane door, put under the plane with the checked bags and you get them back when you land. Good thing is, if this happens these bags are loaded on top of the checked bags, so you might not have a bunch of heavy bags thrown on top of your drone. This can also happen if you board late and there is no more room in the overhead storage bins. So, like I said earlier, try to board first.
Don't forget. If you are made to put your bag under the plane, remove the batteries. I would be discreet about it. Someone recently got kicked off a plane because he was asked to put his bag underneath the plane. He told them he had to get his batteries out first and when he explained why the pilot freaked out and told him that him or his batteries had to go. They gave him crap because of the drone too. There is a video explaining the ordeal on YouTube. I'll look for it. Although he was within his rights and wasn't breaking the rules set by the FAA, he got screwed because a pilot and a flight attendant didn't know what they were talking about. He was eventually apologized to by he airline and was given free tickets, but he still missed his flight and for some that can be a bigger deal.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: maseman88
My procraft only 119 . Everything fits perfectly plus more

Attachments

• 1462406884116.jpg
    1462406884116.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 373
Don't forget. If you are made to put your bag under the plane, remove the batteries. I would be discreet about it....

Thanks Adambfarmer for the info. I had seen that video but not watched it in it's entirety. Here's my bird ready for her flight to Greece this weekend. I went with the Manfrotto D1 and it's served me very well so far with hikes into the mountains - maybe not quite as comfortable as a nice Osprey backpack but a good half-way house.

In case anyone's interested I carried out the adaption to the battery holders as talked about by BearKire and Kevin Lackey in a vid on Youtube and elsewhere, the adaption allows the new larger P4 batteries to fit. I cut along each side, sewed a hem on each cut edge, then sewed in some elastic to give some extra stretch. It's not that pretty but it does the job and I would imagine that having the batteries at the bottom provides some extra protection.

top.jpg cu.jpg cu2.jpg
On other news if anyone's interested in reggae/loud dub music we shot a nice video of a local festival in Wales interjected with drone shots we took. We're trying (and failing) to learn how to use the drone footage to compliment the story. (Can't promise you'll like it!!)

I bought a military spec 5:11 Rush 72 backpack for mine. Its very tough, extremely water-resistant and just all around "Bad-***"..... I can carry my P4, controller & props along with my E-M1 and 3 lens, 3 liters of water and comfortably hike a 10,000 foot volcano. You'll have to customize the interior yourself, but, Drone World is using it as its "Ultimate Back-Pack" for the P4. Cut your own foam for it with an online service or do what I have, which is roll your P4 up in a beach towel and stuff it in there... (just don't forget and sit on your backpack during a break climbing your own mountain...)

I got a leathershop to make a sleeve for my p4 using the box that that comes with the p4 and I like it. I have just asked them to make another one that will be a backpack with extra pockets for extra. What do you think

Attachments

• 1463002213749.jpg
    1463002213749.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 1463002273795.jpg
    1463002273795.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 386
Reactions: CianMcLiam

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics