AVL58+ IOSD Mini installation

Reaction score
So i have finally after a lot of thinking if i should by the P2 Vison + or the P2 with the Zenmuse H3-3D decided to buy the P2 Zenmuse, i also bought an AVL58 and a iosd mini. Unfortunately the DJI FPV Hub & Cable was sold out in the store, so i will have to do a bit of soldering. Des anybody have a good written guide how to dio that, or maybe a good easy to understand video? I just need to know where the different cables need to go. I found a couple of videos on Youtube but the videos i found was explained in an unnecessarily complicated way. I would appreciate a good guide.

This youtube video has been the basis for all my FPV installs. It starts off with him showing how to move the CAN-BUS connector from the leg up into the body so you can mount the iOSD up in the shell which is much cleaner... it's pretty much too easy NOT to do. He then moves into soldering which cables and there's where it's going to take some deduction on your part since he's using a different transmitter it's not an exact 1:1 for your setup but folks around here including me can help you.
At around the 5 minute mark of that video he sticks the transmitter on the bottom of the Phantom and moves to the Zenmuse H3-2D install so you can stop at that point.

Some unsolicited thoughts for you: those FPV hubs are super easy to come by, you can order them from just about anywhere if you don't want to do any soldering. but...
If you're piecing together your own system, soldering or no the AVL58 is most people's 3rd choice out of 3 options. It's significantly heavier than other transmitters (which translates to less flight time) and underperforms in general. Assuming you have the patience, I'd return that AVL58 and go in a different direction.
The ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter is a popular choice, and there is this pre-made cable from FirstPersonView which makes the whole thing plug and play... that cable is the equivalent of the DJI FPV hub, but specifically for that one IRC transmitter.

I personally like the soldering and tinkering so I went with a Boscam transmitter because the transmitters and receivers are a bit less expensive than the IRC Tx and compatible receivers. You can do a Boscam TS353 for $50 and $90 for a display versus about $95 for a IRC transmitter (or your AVL58 I believe) and $200-$250 for a compatible display (Black Pearl or Liliput).

while we're doing random recommendations, regardless of the above this display mount is really good it was recommended by a mod here and I like it far better than the original mount I bought.

anyway getting back to your original issue if you still need some help with wiring I have written some really clear wiring diagrams previously, if you still want to push forward and do it today let me know I'll dig one of them up and repost it

Ditto on ditching the AVL58. The FPV hub sure is nice though. I just replaced my AVL58 with an ebay TS832 600mw. No fan, weighs in at 22g compared to the almost double 39g of the AVL58 (both with no antenna installed) and as QYV points out the AVL58 cooling fan draws extra power as well. A decent 600mw with some clover antennas will do you well, esp in open areas. Here's a pic of my setup with the FPV hub:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic