Autopilot for Phantom

We are considering adding point-of-interest functionality to accomplish these kinds of scenarios. For example, in follow mode, set a point of interest 100 feet behind your phone relative to your course, and Autopilot will focus there instead, as you move (capturing the skier). We are working with DJI right now to get 100% power output capability, which will enable it to actually keep up. Send an email to [email protected] if you want to be part of the beta test for these features.

-Jim

Reactions: socrats
I purchased this app a day ago. I only tested the Black Box feature. I didn't like how telemetry was not displayed over camera/photo recording view(flying with iphone 6 plus).
In the Black Box mode the camera view is separate button and I had to change between the two buttons when flying. It was to much to deal with. Not being able to see flight telemetry when flying is not good.
I'm hoping they get this figured out in the next update.

The next version will have the telemetry everywhere (the iPad layout already has it). Shoot us an email if you are interested in testing it.

-Jim

Last edited:
Sorry I have not been able to check the forums in a while. To be honest, i was not planning on trying the app again until i heard back from the developers. Which I did, and he was helpful.

BUT I don't think I will try this app again.

Today I took it out for a test again. My bird is fully updated FYI. I have zero problems using the DJI App and all its features.

I planned on trying all modes but i started with orbit and unfortunately it was my only mode because it tried to crash the phantom twice.

1st run
Get the bird ready to fly, get the app ready, calibrated
Engage ---- and i almost had a heart attack.
I always launch from my case and never had an issue but today with the autopilot app it flew forward right away and missed the ground by less than 1 inch.
then it hovered at about 5 feet from the ground and did nothing else.
I looked at the app to make sure I am in orbit and indeed I was.. so I switched the S1 and brought her back.

2nd run
This time i made sure i was on the ground and not on top of the case.
All preflight check list done.
engaged and up it went.
Also this time it reached its predetermined altitude but not distance.
Then it just erratically moved to the left, then to the right... this went on for couple minutes.
and to be honest at this point i was getting annoyed.
Then out of the blue it starts to slowly losing altitude and suddenly it started to descend really fast.

S1 to the rescue and brint the phantom to me. I was not happy.

I turned on the DJI app and everything worked perfect again.

I will be asking the developers for a full refund. I am not sure what is going on. I see reviews and videos in their page where is seems its working fine.

Anyone else having issues? I cant be the only one.

This is a small video from the phantom with my issues.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Esteban-

I am very sorry to hear that you are having issues with the app. I understand if you are ready to move on, but we are willing to help and would love to understand what is happening to your Phantom. We have not had any other users reporting these types of issues, so if there is a problem, you are our best chance at diagnosing it and fixing it!

Diagnostic questions:
  1. I assume you were running version 1.1 of Autopilot (not v1.0)?
  2. When you say the bird is fully updated, do you mean v3.12 of the firmware?
  3. You mentioned in a previous post that the Phantom assistant software was acting strangely after running Autopilot. Have you been able to reproduce this issue?
  4. When was the last time you did a full, successful advanced IMU calibration?
  5. Did you perform the DJI compass calibration procedure before engaging Autopilot?
  6. When you fly using the DJI Vision app, are you flying the Phantom with the RC, or have you tried the ground station \ waypoint functionality?
  7. If you did try the ground station feature in the Vision app, was it able to fly the Phantom for you successfully \ on course?
  8. Do you have your Phantom in Naza-M or Phantom mode?
  9. If Naza-M, can you switch to Phantom mode and try again?
  10. Do you remember how many GPS satellites you had during the test flights?
  11. When Autopilot was engaged but the Phantom was not moving, did the telemetry screen say Orbit or Override?
  12. What settings were you using for Orbit? If you using a very low and close orbit it can result in little to no movement.
  13. Orbit is one of the more advanced modes in the app. Can try Hover first to see if that mode works for you?
  14. What device are you using? If you are using an iOS device without a barometer (i.e. not an iPhone 6\/6+ or iPad Air 2), it is possible for the GPS altitude reading to change dramatically after calibration. For example, we have seen it read 50 feet while standing on the beach, and then 30 seconds later update to 5 feet. If this happens while Autopilot is engaged, the app will want to make the Phantom descend as it has to assume that you have descended. This is why we put several warning messages in the app about using the GPS altimeter. We are considering adding a setting in the next release that allows you to disable the GPS altimeter and use the Phantom's barometer only. While this will correct the GPS altimeter inaccuracy issue, it remove the capability of the app to follow along at a relative altitude above your device. This setting would only be intended for scenarios where you know your path involves little to no altitude changes.
  15. Was it particularly windy during the first take-off? The auto-takeoff procedure is not something we have direct control over via the SDK. Basically, the code just tells the Phantom to take-off and waits for the Phantom to report back that it is ready to take flight control commands. We are considering making auto-takeoff and advanced setting, and disabling it by default. It is possible to do an inflight engage after performing a manual take-off, as described here: http://autoflightlogic.com/autopilotphantom/flightschool#advanced-inflight-engage
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

-Jim

Hello Esteban,
I would really like to buy your app, buy you've compiled it as only ios 8 compatible.
I have ios 7 and as many people we do not want to upgrade to ios 8 as its far slower.
Can you please recompile your app to run on ios 7?
You are loosing a big chunk of clients that way, and the recompilation for ios 7 is extremely easy

thank you

Diagnostic questions:
  1. I assume you were running version 1.1 of Autopilot (not v1.0)?
  1. When you say the bird is fully updated, do you mean v3.12 of the firmware?
V3.12
  1. You mentioned in a previous post that the Phantom assistant software was acting strangely after running Autopilot. Have you been able to reproduce this issue?
I preformed an advanced IMU last time I used the app a few weeks ago. Yesterday I did not have issues with calibration using the software.

1. When was the last time you did a full, successful advanced IMU calibration?
Last time I used the app about 2 weeks ago.
  1. Did you perform the DJI compass calibration procedure before engaging Autopilot?
Yes
  1. When you fly using the DJI Vision app, are you flying the Phantom with the RC, or have you tried the ground station \ waypoint functionality?
RC and ground station worked fine yesterday.
  1. If you did try the ground station feature in the Vision app, was it able to fly the Phantom for you successfully \ on course?
Yes
  1. Do you have your Phantom in Naza-M or Phantom mode?
It's on Naza
  1. If Naza-M, can you switch to Phantom mode and try again?
I'll think about it.
  1. Do you remember how many GPS satellites you had during the test flights?
12 satellites
  1. When Autopilot was engaged but the Phantom was not moving, did the telemetry screen say Orbit or Override?
Orbit
  1. What settings were you using for Orbit? If you using a very low and close orbit it can result in little to no movement.
Altitude 40 distance 50. Both tests
  1. Orbit is one of the more advanced modes in the app. Can try Hover first to see if that mode works for you?
I was interested in the orbit.
  1. What device are you using? If you are using an iOS device without a barometer (i.e. not an iPhone 6\/6+ or iPad Air 2), it is possible for the GPS altitude reading to change dramatically after calibration. For example, we have seen it read 50 feet while standing on the beach, and then 30 seconds later update to 5 feet. If this happens while Autopilot is engaged, the app will want to make the Phantom descend as it has to assume that you have descended. This is why we put several warning messages in the app about using the GPS altimeter. We are considering adding a setting in the next release that allows you to disable the GPS altimeter and use the Phantom's barometer only. While this will correct the GPS altimeter inaccuracy issue, it remove the capability of the app to follow along at a relative altitude above your device. This setting would only be intended for scenarios where you know your path involves little to no altitude changes.
I used an iPhone 5. But you told me my phone should not be causing these issues.

1. Was it particularly windy during the first take-off? The auto-takeoff procedure is not something we have direct control over via the SDK. Basically, the code just tells the Phantom to take-off and waits for the Phantom to report back that it is ready to take flight control commands. We are considering making auto-takeoff and advanced setting, and disabling it by default. It is possible to do an inflight engage after performing a manual take-off, as described here: http://autoflightlogic.com/autopilotphantom/flightschool#advanced-inflight-engage
Nope, it was not windy at all. I always use my case as a launch pad. Never has it tried to go forward or backwards without hovering first.

I have had over 200 hours of flight with this phantom. It's never behaved like this.

I really would love for it to work flawlessly. I am specially interested in the orbit option but like I said I am having no luck working with the mode.

If I am the only one with this issue then, I don't know what to make out of it. It must be something with my unit. It's disapointing.

But the DJI works fine so I will have to keep doing what I have always been doing.

Esteban- If you can confirm that Hover works in Phantom mode (not Naza), that would be great. After that, go back and try Orbit in Phantom mode if possible.

Macsoft- Believe me, we tried to get it to work for iOS 7 but as you said...Apple doesn't like that. If you have an Android I can add you to the beta tester list for that app (currently in development). Shoot an email to [email protected]

I dont have android.
To make matters worst, I DID buy the app. Itunes let me buy it. only when i transfer the app to the phone I get the version error...

Any idea when the Android version will be available? I too refuse to update to iOS 8 but would love to try your app. I have both Android and iOS devices that I fly with.

Esteban- If you can confirm that Hover works in Phantom mode (not Naza), that would be great. After that, go back and try Orbit in Phantom mode if possible.

Macsoft- Believe me, we tried to get it to work for iOS 7 but as you said...Apple doesn't like that. If you have an Android I can add you to the beta tester list for that app (currently in development). Shoot an email to [email protected]
So this app can only be used if I'm in phantom mode? I fly naza-would there be any issues..?

macsoft- Did you buy the app from a device (iPad?) that was running iOS 8.0 or later?

fastsmiles- It is too early to give a precise release date, but I assure you we are working as fast as we can! Shoot us an email to sign up ([email protected]).

Bigdz- Naza-M is not recommended at this time. We are working with DJI to better understand this limitation, but until then, please operate in Phantom mode. You can read more about some of the related issues here: http://autoflightlogic.com/autopilotphantom/flightschool#limitations-naza

Wait, I can't have my Phantom in Naza M mode? Hmmm good to know. Not sure I saw that anywhere in the reading I did. Does that mean S1 can be customized to work outside of Naza M through the SDK? I thought in Phantom mode it does nothing?

Fastsmiles, on the iOS update issue, are you on an older device? I can see iPhone 4S not wanting to update but I've updated many 5 or newer devices and had no issues.

Last edited:
Will keep you guys posted on the Naza issue. As far as I know there is no way to customize S1 via the SDK (would be nice, I will ask DJI).

Will keep you guys posted on the Naza issue. As far as I know there is no way to customize S1 via the SDK (would be nice, I will ask DJI).
So that means to get Atti mode we need to already be in Naza M mode I believe.... Hmm will have to test whenever Canada Post decided to deliver my V+

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can get to Atti while in Phantom mode by toggling the S1 switch to the middle position - no Naza required.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers