Autonomous flight with GPS

Reaction score
I recently bought a Phantom 3 standard and am figuring out the controls using the simulator.

It seems that you can't simply set waypoints using the map, but rather you have to fly the route before hand, setting waypoints as you go.

Is this really true?? It is a severe limitation, rendering this drone almost useless to me. Is there any way around it?

Thanks,
D.

I recently bought a Phantom 3 standard and am figuring out the controls using the simulator.

It seems that you can't simply set waypoints using the map, but rather you have to fly the route before hand, setting waypoints as you go.

Is this really true?? It is a severe limitation, rendering this drone almost useless to me. Is there any way around it?

Yes.. it's true. No way around with DJI Go. The Litchi app may be what you want.

Reactions: Pharm
I've just started getting into litchi (you have to pay for it)
You basically draw out your route on google maps and litchi sets all the points and gives you distances and times, curves all the turns for you and handles headings and altitudes between each way point.
You can take your browser to litchi mission hub and program everything on a PC. It's impressive but also scary as the app doesn't hold your hand as much as DJI GO and you could send your quad on a one way suicide mission if you wanted to or if you weren't careful.

I did my first 3 litchi missions last night, went without a hitch. Went nearly 2k's out of range with my p3s over some forestry on my last flight. Nerve racking watching it fly off but a huge buzz to see it returning on the programmed route at the correct time. I even accidentally quit the app as I was waiting and out of range. Started it again and it connected up as normal as the quad came back.
It really is a powerful piece of software for a phantom that removes a lot of the limitations of DJI GO, for better or for worse.

Thanks for your help guys. I have a couple of questions about Litchi:

- Do you need an internet connection in the field to download maps? Or can you download and save them to use later in remote areas?

- Can you turn the front lights on and off using Litchi? I've plugged another piece of equipment into the front lights. You can turn these on/off using Advanced Settings in DJI Go. Can you do that using Litchi too?

Many thanks!

1fd8b6bb42334dd53e75ff3a1b6c9857.jpg

Yes on the lights in Litchi

As long as you scroll around the area you're going to fly and let the app cash the map you don't need the internet connection.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks for your help guys. I have a couple of questions about Litchi:

- Do you need an internet connection in the field to download maps? Or can you download and save them to use later in remote areas?

- Can you turn the front lights on and off using Litchi? I've plugged another piece of equipment into the front lights. You can turn these on/off using Advanced Settings in DJI Go. Can you do that using Litchi too?

Many thanks!
I'm curious now, what have you done to the front LED's?
Sounds interesting.

You can do with out an internet connection by setting up all your missions at home on a PC or any device. When you open your litchi app and log in the missions will all be there ready to load,
or like others have said, if the area maps are already cached you don't need internet.

@JNZ

Welcome to the forum!

Somebody has setup away to drop a fishing line of shore, by activating the lights, I think I was part of that thread recently, I did recall I had heard of it prior, should have booked marked it. :rolleyes:

Rod

Reactions: JNZ
@JNZ

Welcome to the forum!

Somebody has setup away to drop a fishing line of shore, by activating the lights, I think I was part of that thread recently, I did recall I had heard of it prior, should have booked marked it. :rolleyes:

Rod
Sounds awesome.
I've seen the line droppers for the P4 but as I understand that has an auxiliary channel.
My brain is ticking over now.

I'm curious now, what have you done to the front LED's?
Sounds interesting.

You can do with out an internet connection by setting up all your missions at home on a PC or any device. When you open your litchi app and log in the missions will all be there ready to load,
or like others have said, if the area maps are already cached you don't need internet.

Sorry for my slow reply. I'm using the lights to control an air pump- it's going to take air samples so we can measure the concentration of pollutants, and calculate emission rates.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav