Auto Landed in river, now found is it worth paying reward?

Re: Crashed in river, now found is it worth paying reward?

Did the reward sticker specify that it would only be payable on condition that the Phantom contained any salvageable parts?

If not do the honourable thing and pay up, it's only $50!

dannytroy said:
I may hold the record of water dunkings. So far my Vision+ has hit the water 5x's and I was able to may a full recovery each time. I did lose one battery, but since then I've been coating my circuit boards with CorroxionX, including the battery boards. I air dry for several hours in front of a fan in the warmest part of my house, the room with the oil burner, then seal in a huge bag of rice for 3 days. One thing I should mention is that I have a styrofoam shell on my Phantom, so it never goes below the surface. Usually it sits upside down in the water (freshwater) until I can get to it a few minutes later. Two weeks in deep water may cause all sorts of problems, but it's worth a shot. I would say, considering the cost of parts, it's worth a 100.00 reward.

BTW, on my last crash into water, after dryout my gimbal was affected and gave erratic movements with no response to inputs. I took the cover off (the one with 3 screws) and sprayed DeoxIT (bought it at Radio Shack) and a day later it came back to life and is now 100%. I don't know how much longer my luck will hold, but since I fly almost exclusively over water, I hope I don't make any more water landings!

5 times. Wow! I doubt you could have luck that good crashing on land.

I just want to comment that I am absolutely amazed that this fisherman happened to net your P2. I can't imagine his reaction on pulling it over the railing of his boat. It would also be pretty amazing if you were able to restore it to working condition. Please do keep us posted.

andretomasi said:
Well, from experience with electronics who took a dive in salt water, I usually disassemble, submerge and shake them on alcohol, then distilled water a couple times, for cleaning out the salt water; only then I will leave it to dry for a few weeks.
If it has already developed a lot of rust, leaving it for a while on WD-40 before cleaning with the distilled water helps cleaning it up.
And don't EVER try to turn it on before completely clean and dry. A few mobile phones, media players, and a MIDI controller have been recovered this way :D

Good luck! :)

[ ]'s

Superb way of dealing with the salt water issue's.
Although this topic is about fresh water its nevertheless useful.

Well, even having crashed on fresh water I would clean it the same way, since it is probably contaminated with dirt and stuff which could also damage the circuitry.

[ ]'s

Agreed.... All good points on how to clean the carcass....
I'm meeting the guy in one hour to get back the bird... I will update once I get it back and taken apart...

Well I met the fisherman, and recovered the bird.... As was previously discussed the cards worked fine, and I got my images...
It looks surprisingly good for being submerged for 2 weeks..... Here is the last shot before landing in the drink....

Attachments

• lastpic.jpeg
    lastpic.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 397

ToThePoint said:
I would go for it. You have also spare parts.
If it was fresh water than it could be revived when lucky, only when you take it completely apart and let it dry well for @ least a week.
If the water contains any salt then rinse the taken apart items with plenty of fresh water.
If your lucky and do it well you will end up with 2 working V+ birds.

Also seen a completely destroyed V+ taken from salt water with clearly huge damage being sold on ebay.
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/DJI-Phantom ... 27e7252301

LMAO@ the ad on eBay... "Needs some work" is an understatement... Major salt/corrosion damage, apart from the shell I doubt anything would be salvageable and he wants $285US for it? been drinking too much Saki....

Double-D said:
dannytroy said:
I may hold the record of water dunkings. So far my Vision+ has hit the water 5x's and I was able to may a full recovery each time. I did lose one battery, but since then I've been coating my circuit boards with CorroxionX, including the battery boards. I air dry for several hours in front of a fan in the warmest part of my house, the room with the oil burner, then seal in a huge bag of rice for 3 days. One thing I should mention is that I have a styrofoam shell on my Phantom, so it never goes below the surface. Usually it sits upside down in the water (freshwater) until I can get to it a few minutes later. Two weeks in deep water may cause all sorts of problems, but it's worth a shot. I would say, considering the cost of parts, it's worth a 100.00 reward.

BTW, on my last crash into water, after dryout my gimbal was affected and gave erratic movements with no response to inputs. I took the cover off (the one with 3 screws) and sprayed DeoxIT (bought it at Radio Shack) and a day later it came back to life and is now 100%. I don't know how much longer my luck will hold, but since I fly almost exclusively over water, I hope I don't make any more water landings!

5 times. Wow! I doubt you could have luck that good crashing on land.
I actually had a few land crashes also, but was lucky there too. I hear people complain about the Vision+ being fragile, but I can't believe how much punishment mine has taken, and still keeps ticking. Last weekend, after a flight, I had climbed down from the deck of my boat and put the Phantom on my cabin sliding door, while I put the other equipment in a safe place. My wife didn't see it and slid the door open, causing the Phantom to go crashing down onto the cabin steps, which is about a 5 or 6 foot drop onto the hard steps. I thought the gimbal was a goner, but incredibly everything was just fine. Am I lucky, or what!

Phantom_Menace66 said:
ToThePoint said:
I would go for it. You have also spare parts.
If it was fresh water than it could be revived when lucky, only when you take it completely apart and let it dry well for @ least a week.
If the water contains any salt then rinse the taken apart items with plenty of fresh water.
If your lucky and do it well you will end up with 2 working V+ birds.

Also seen a completely destroyed V+ taken from salt water with clearly huge damage being sold on ebay.
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/DJI-Phantom ... 27e7252301

LMAO@ the ad on eBay... "Needs some work" is an understatement... Major salt/corrosion damage, apart from the shell I doubt anything would be salvageable and he wants $285US for it? been drinking too much Saki....

There are 9 bids on it. Which means people are actually bidding that much. So he's going to sell the thing to some sucker. Maybe they're not reading the gibberished description. Oh well. Serves them right.

andretomasi said:
Well, from experience with electronics who took a dive in salt water, I usually disassemble, submerge and shake them on alcohol, then distilled water a couple times, for cleaning out the salt water; only then I will leave it to dry for a few weeks.

andretomasi's use of alcohol is a great suggestion. Alcohol has three good properties. First, alcohol readily mixes with water. Second, alcohol in water reduces the surface tension of the water, allowing it to more easily flow out of nooks and crannies. Third, it evaporates rapidly, taking some of the water with it.

Re: Auto Landed in river, now found is it worth paying rewar

You can get denatured alcohol here: http://www.saveonscents.com/product_inf ... ts_id/3571

I used it for a project a little while ago and this is the cheapest place I found to get 200 proof (no water content).

Lmao it is great to give a reward for a found quad. But, this guy calls you and demands money? Thats called ransom and now you have his number. I would contact your local police and get your property back for free. I don't like greedy people. Giving a reward for finding it is generosity. Asking/demanding a reward is greedy. What trouble was it for him to find? He basically stumbled across it.

If you don't want it give me the info. I'll pay the 50 and give you the SD card back. Win win for all.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20