Authorization altitude tip direct from the FAA

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with someone from the FAA following up on my experience with an authorized flight in Class C airspace this weekend. I must say all my contact with the FAA has been fantastic; they've not only been professional but friendly, including calling me to work with me to get me authorized for a flight 2 miles from a Class C airport rather than simply denying my request.

The fellow I spoke with told me the FAA does in fact have a grid which shows clearly which altitudes they will approve authorizations for at what distances from various class airports. Unfortunately, they are not allowed to share that grid, but it certainly does exist and it has the final say.

*BUT*

He told me that if, on the authorization requests, we simply write "up to xxxx" (let's say 250) for the requested altitude, the authorization can be granted for the maximum allowed altitude (which may be 200) at that distance. If we just request 250, the request would be denied, but "up to 250" results in a granted waiver at whatever the max altitude is.

Happy authorizing!

The current rumor is the system will be GREATLY improved and streamlined in March. Using their "grid system" some of the "Easy" requests could become almost instantaneous but I suspect that will take some time to get the bugs worked out.

I also have had a very positive experience talking directly with the FAA and towers. I did the same thing with a COA I recently got back approved. Asked for "up to 300 ft" and I was approved up to 200 ft, which is fine.

BTW - I do believe those grids will soon be made public.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj