Australian sub-2kg rules to stay

Information on Part 101 disallowance motion
Wednesday 23 November 2016

CASR PART 101 AMENDMENT – DISALLOWANCE MOTION WITHDRAWN
On 22 November 2016, Senator Nick Xenophon withdrew his motion to disallow Civil Aviation Legislation Amendment (Part 101) Regulation 2016 in the Australian Senate.

This means that the recent changes to the safety regulations covering the operation of drones or remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) remain in place.

The amendment, which commenced on 29 September 2016, includes updated terminology and introduces an excluded RPA category with reduced regulatory requirements for commercial operators flying RPA smaller than 2 kilograms and some landowners and leaseholders carrying out commercial-like operations on their land.

For details on the recent changes, guidance and general information on RPA operations in Australia, including an eLearning module suitable for all operators visit www.casa.gov.au/rpa, phone 131 757 or email [email protected].

A victory for common sense.

No mention of it on the senator's website.
When he tried to bring this in, it was all over the media.
Perhaps he realised he was being used by the licensed operators to try to prevent competition and it had nothing to do with safety as it had been promoted?

Happy dayz indeed, we just need the knuckleheads to fly their drones with a bit of respect. Thanks Meta4 you nailed the intrusive vested interests in pushing their own agenda. Most of us just want to enjoy our own quiet hobby time and not engage in fighting phantom side bar issues.

Happy dayz indeed, we just need the knuckleheads to fly their drones with a bit of respect. Thanks Meta4 you nailed the intrusive vested interests in pushing their own agenda. Most of us just want to enjoy our own quiet hobby time and not engage in fighting phantom side bar issues.
Unfortunately there will always be knuckleheads.
We just need to show that we can play by the rules

I notice that CASA has also recently added to their website clarifications regarding flying near airports – i.e. that there's actually no such restriction in Australia, as long as you do so safely:
Operations within the 3nm (5.5km) radius of an aerodrome or helicopter landing site are possible and lawful providing you comply with the Standard Operating Conditions listed above and ensure that you do not operate:
  • on the approach and departure path, or
  • within the movement area, or
  • create a hazard to aircraft that may be using those areas.

Reactions: Loz
Thanks but confused with this - if one cannot "operate within the movement area" (definition??) how are Operations within the 5.5km radius possible? Can anyone whom knows explain please, thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks but confused with this - if one cannot "operate within the movement area" (definition??) how are Operations within the 5.5km radius possible? Can anyone whom knows explain please, thanks

Here is the ICAO definition of the movement area:
That part of an aerodrome to be used for the takeoff, landing and taxiing of aircraft, consisting of the maneuvering area and the apron(s).

So it sounds like the 'movement area' is land that is within the airport itself.

Edit: As an example, this map shows the movement area for Bankstown: mam-bankstown.pdf | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Thanks but confused with this - if one cannot "operate within the movement area" (definition??) how are Operations within the 5.5km radius possible? Can anyone whom knows explain please
Not sure if this makes things clear but here's the response I received from CASA about the possibility of a low-level flight very close to an airport without a control tower.

i-DtcCm9h-X2.jpg

Each bit helps thanks. I read and hopefully understand that info thanks. Essentially if in any doubt don't go near any airports

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31