Australian National Parks now require drone permits ?

UAV forecast, even on your wickED app it's says in the information there it is not restricted

Yes I tried a few insurance companies and they said they only insure commercial drones, so I was surprised when I found out NRMA did recreational flyers

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
RACV & NRMA are similar not same - two different organisations in two different states. Misleading to assume their policies are the same. I will see what I can find out

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Look I've never had a problem at the Blue Mountains, I've flown Evans Lookout, Govetts Leap, Jamison And Megalong valleys and Mount Victoria ........ I regular visit the Royal National Park and ask at the kiosk or gatehouse and they no problem as long as I fly to CASA rules in the airspace, I fly at Wattamolla and Garie Beaches and Stanwell tops,

Were these recently? These things can get pretty fluid, what's ok one moment can change pretty quickly. I'm hoping to be able to get to some of these places in the next month.

Reactions: Sparky1963
I lost a P3P at Ferntree Gully National Park back in July. I called the local ranger to ask if anyone handed it in and he said I shouldn't have been flying over a National Park anyway! (prick) (No never found it either)

I lost a P3P at Ferntree Gully National Park back in July. I called the local ranger to ask if anyone handed it in and he said I shouldn't have been flying over a National Park anyway! (prick) (No never found it either)

Did you tell him that he has no jurisdiction over the sky ? And sucks about the P3P :(

I have the Shannon National Park at my back door and the resident park ranger had never seen a drone before and his only suggestion was to fit some sort of tracking device in case it disappeared.... Having said that I live on a lake that is used by the heli tankers during fire season so not flying during those operations is a no brainer.

I have the Shannon National Park at my back door and the resident park ranger had never seen a drone before and his only suggestion was to fit some sort of tracking device in case it disappeared.... Having said that I live on a lake that is used by the heli tankers during fire season so not flying during those operations is a no brainer.

I'm glad there are some rangers out there with commonsense. Hopefully the ones at the Blue Mountains have the same levels of intelligence.

As for bush fires its actually part of the new rules. My Father-in-law is a captain at the fire brigade and when he saw my P4 he actually told me how they had to suspend operations once (helicopter drops) because someone decided taking footage of the fires was a good idea.

They can't risk hitting a drone and as they are and I quote "Kinda busy !!!" they aren't on the lookout for a little white blob with blinking lights in their way.

Its just a pity some other flyers don't have the same commonsense we do !

I'm glad there are some rangers out there with commonsense. Hopefully the ones at the Blue Mountains have the same levels of intelligence.

As for bush fires its actually part of the new rules. My Father-in-law is a captain at the fire brigade and when he saw my P4 he actually told me how they had to suspend operations once (helicopter drops) because someone decided taking footage of the fires was a good idea.

They can't risk hitting a drone and as they are and I quote "Kinda busy !!!" they aren't on the lookout for a little white blob with blinking lights in their way.

Its just a pity some other flyers don't have the same commonsense we do !

Agree, I'm in the local volunteer fire brigade and am aware of my responsibilities with respect to drones, aircraft and emergency operations so act accordingly. I am the only one around these parts with a drone and I can see Santa probably changing that this year so I'll be a bit concerned with the expected inrush of tourists trying to get that magic moment over the lake and forests down here. As for the blue mountains, i lived there for a couple of years and the cops and Rangers were rubbish back then, I can only imagine the heightened self importance they have succeeded in reaching in 2016....

Hi All,

I just wanted to chime in on insurance to make sure everyone knows what they're getting and noone is unclear.

For those who are seeking protection from any legal liability that arises out of your flying activities you'll need a Public Liability policy. Industry minimums are$10mil limit of liability/cover for commercial pilots.

Legal liability would include any personal injury or property damage suffered by a 3rd party.

NRMA contents policy will only cover the value of the product in the event of an incident.

I certainly have a fear of the drone dropping out the sky and worst case- killing someone. While you could pursue DJI, you'll have to establish the incident was caused by a manufacturing defect or otherwise. I wonder if this will soon become a form of standard like CTP?

btw- i am against over regulation but it really is only a matter of time :(

I doubt you'll be able to get PL cover as a recreational flyer unless you are with an RC club at a designated area, your membership dues will cover such insurance.

Hi All,

I just wanted to chime in on insurance to make sure everyone knows what they're getting and noone is unclear.

For those who are seeking protection from any legal liability that arises out of your flying activities you'll need a Public Liability policy. Industry minimums are$10mil limit of liability/cover for commercial pilots.

Legal liability would include any personal injury or property damage suffered by a 3rd party.

NRMA contents policy will only cover the value of the product in the event of an incident.

I certainly have a fear of the drone dropping out the sky and worst case- killing someone. While you could pursue DJI, you'll have to establish the incident was caused by a manufacturing defect or otherwise. I wonder if this will soon become a form of standard like CTP?

btw- i am against over regulation but it really is only a matter of time :(
The NRMA policy covers for liability and I just checked and it's $20M

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor