Audio

Is it actually called something else? At Google Play Store I typed in DU Recorder and nothing came up. am I having another sebior moment? LOL

Let me find the link for you ....

Nigel

Surely by now, somebody who is very smart must have figired out a way to record some audio without hearing ONLY the blades.

Like the cheering of the crowd at a football game or the music from an outdoor concert, etc.

EVERY time I show somebody a video shot with my drone, they ask "where is the sound"?
All I can say is that all you would hear is the screaming of the blades.

Hasn't anybody figured anything out yet? Thank you!!!
Just use a video editor, delete the sound and record anything you like onto the editor soundtrack.

Maybe retrofits GoPro session to the gimbal?
You'll hear lots of prop and wind noise, but if you want it, you can get it.

You can also just strap a GoPro on for a static camera position.
Check out what the freestyle and racing drone guys do.
Works for me. :)

I should say I didn't LIKE flying them. You spend more time goofing with them and they are too easy to crash for us beginners. At least with the GPS the drones are kind of idiot proof - unless you get stupid.
I always wanted an rc plane but when I got a big easy to fly Piper Cub, I found out I was too uncoordinated. Turns out I am way better at flying my Phantom - must be a hand eye coordination thing. Judging by your handle, are you an Aussie?
No not aussie.irish.

Hasn't anybody figured anything out yet? Thank you!!!

You've started ignoring posts that talk about the physics, insisting that someone "just hasn't figured it out yet", but I'll try one more time:

DRONES: Previous generations of Phantoms (and various versions of others) allowed you to use you own camera. Many people were using GoPros, which have audio. It did not work well. GoPros can have externally attached mics, but the many pesky physics problems still exist. [details not specified, but ask if you don't believe this ]

VIDEO in general: they figured this out DECADES ago, though this is all outside the realm of consumer / recreational / inexpensive / all-in-one equipment. And that is to record video and audio separately with sync technology (timecode), then put them together in post processing. That is how most hollywood films are still made today (very much larger production than what we do).

One of the issues you may not be thinking of is: even if you had a fantasy situation of a mic on the UAV that somehow did not pick up aircraft and wind noise, you would still have the distance to the sound source (in your case, the venue with a crowd), so as you change the distance of the craft to the crowd, the volume of that sound captured will go up and down.

That means that while the source volume goes up and down with distance, but the sensitivity of the microphone does not, that mic will start to pick up things closer to it than the source (crowd).

So unless your source crowd lives in area where the outside world is dead quiet, you're going to pick up stuff you don't want. And that's all in this fantasy world where the mic doesn't pickup the sounds that the aircraft itself makes (motors and wind).

Unless you actually want the sounds of the craft in flight, in which case, you can still get a platform that allows you to load your own AV equipment. It might cost a lot more.

Speck

You've started ignoring posts that talk about the physics, insisting that someone "just hasn't figured it out yet", but I'll try one more time:

DRONES: Previous generations of Phantoms (and various versions of others) allowed you to use you own camera. Many people were using GoPros, which have audio. It did not work well. GoPros can have externally attached mics, but the many pesky physics problems still exist. [details not specified, but ask if you don't believe this ]

VIDEO in general: they figured this out DECADES ago, though this is all outside the realm of consumer / recreational / inexpensive / all-in-one equipment. And that is to record video and audio separately with sync technology (timecode), then put them together in post processing. That is how most hollywood films are still made today (very much larger production than what we do).

One of the issues you may not be thinking of is: even if you had a fantasy situation of a mic on the UAV that somehow did not pick up aircraft and wind noise, you would still have the distance to the sound source (in your case, the venue with a crowd), so as you change the distance of the craft to the crowd, the volume of that sound captured will go up and down.

That means that while the source volume goes up and down with distance, but the sensitivity of the microphone does not, that mic will start to pick up things closer to it than the source (crowd).

So unless your source crowd lives in area where the outside world is dead quiet, you're going to pick up stuff you don't want. And that's all in this fantasy world where the mic doesn't pickup the sounds that the aircraft itself makes (motors and wind).

Unless you actually want the sounds of the craft in flight, in which case, you can still get a platform that allows you to load your own AV equipment. It might cost a lot more.

Speck
When there's 5 pages of replies to an original post, you can usually count on the answer that's obvious to you having already being mentioned over and over and over. Just sayin ;)

Maybe retrofits GoPro session to the gimbal?
You'll hear lots of prop and wind noise, but if you want it, you can get it.

You can also just strap a GoPro on for a static camera position.
Check out what the freestyle and racing drone guys do.
Works for me. :)

Why waste a GoPro ? 808 Keycam is good enough for sound ... if you put a bit of audio mic foam across the mic hole ... works a treat.

I use these on a few models ... I even wrap in sandwich film and put on waterplanes ... the film if taut across the lense doesn't affect video or sound .... and keeps camera / card dry.

Nigel

I can't believe no one has mentioned that with DJI Go4 the HD footage records audio from the controller position and using the same app for editing you can mix this sound with music that you can select within the app. For each clip you create from the main footage you can adjust the level of the mic'd audio and the music independently to suit so for example you can have music only on take off and landing so no drone noise and at other times you can have narration or ambient sound (nearby birds, river running, crowd etc.) & all
Free and easy to use

I can't believe no one has mentioned that with DJI Go4 the HD footage records audio from the controller position and using the same app for editing you can mix this sound with music that you can select within the app. For each clip you create from the main footage you can adjust the level of the mic'd audio and the music independently to suit so for example you can have music only on take off and landing so no drone noise and at other times you can have narration or ambient sound (nearby birds, river running, crowd etc.) & all
Free and easy to use

This is a thread on the P3 section ... which GO4 has no use ... just thought I'd mention it ...

Nigel

Litchi records local sound too. The op was looking to somehow record the sounds of a concert or sporting event from the quad itself, which is impossible or, if it were possible, would probably cost a few hundred thousand dollars to get the tech from the CIA.

In reality, you would not be at the concert while flying - you'd be somewhere nearby, so you'd need to either place a device in the event or have someone capture audio for you. I suppose if it was your job to capture audio / aerial video for a venue or event planning company then you could take off from / record audio from the event yourself, but you're going to want something better than an iPad or other mobile device picking up the sound if you want it to be worth anything in post. At the very least, if you are going to use a mobile device, you're going to want a proper mic.

Google play, just search for "Screen Recorder"..... many apps that record everything you see on your screen and hear during your flight.

I fly a p3p

I've got some audio from the sea lions I was watching down the beach from our place:

Physics cannot easily be overcome. The volume of any sound dimishes by the square of the distance. Any Mike on the drone will be picking up the sound of the propellers and wind at far higher levels than sounds from the ground. The auto volume circuits on the audio recorder will set the record levels so that the drone noise will not overload the actual recording. That makes.the ground sound a very low volume. Filtering the resultant mix for just the very soft ground sound won't work.

This problem is the same one facing film makers shooting outside. The solution is to re record the Dialog on a sound stage. The sound effects are also re created in a sound studio, and the result combined in a sound mix to create what appears to be reality. If there was a technical solution available, it would be used, as this process is very time consuming and expensive

Reactions: Alan11855
Oops sorry, is there not a similar app with similar audio editing features for P3?

Dunno .... but just thought I'd mention P3 before it ran of the rails ...

What I do know - is that Go has basically a very limited editor and as I see it - most people don't use it.

Its interesting this in-built editing ... I ordered a SoloShot3 more than 1.5years ago and we all still wait its final availability and delivery. When an update went out saying that Video Editing was one of the software delays - the amount of replies telling SS that video editing in the APP was not used was amazing. Basically they were told to ditch it and worry about updating it via online update AFTER supplying units to customers.

Most built in editors to APP's are crap ... as most find out. Its why majority use transfer to PC etc.

As regards Audio .. all the posts about noise, lack of detail, distance from subject ... it all is true. Its basically why I gave up carrying on-board cameras on my other models. Yes I agree that DJI P3 silent movie makes you want to add audio ... my answer is to use free music online ... With some videos where I am illustrating fnction - I may add narration - but again that's via the PC editor.

Nigel

You would not want it. They had it on the vision 2. But it was way too much wind noise. Best to have no sound. Otherwise it's just noise.

You would not want it. They had it on the vision 2. But it was way too much wind noise. Best to have no sound. Otherwise it's just noise.

Are you referring to a GoPro equipped P2?

Don't recall any mics being on any Phantom cause it's useless.

Decent point and shoot camera on a tripod at the event itself if you want to capture event sound. Any audio recording software you wish - or simply audio commentary recorded and added in post if you want yourself, not the event captured. There's no way to record from the craft, and if there was, there's no way to capture anything beyond the craft itself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT