Audio

Reaction score
Surely by now, somebody who is very smart must have figired out a way to record some audio without hearing ONLY the blades.

Like the cheering of the crowd at a football game or the music from an outdoor concert, etc.

EVERY time I show somebody a video shot with my drone, they ask "where is the sound"?
All I can say is that all you would hear is the screaming of the blades.

Hasn't anybody figured anything out yet? Thank you!!!

Reactions: Mydrone70
Good question. New to flying. Had no idea I could even record audio lol. Interested to see some posts here

Surely by now, somebody who is very smart must have figired out a way to record some audio without hearing ONLY the blades.

Like the cheering of the crowd at a football game or the music from an outdoor concert, etc.

EVERY time I show somebody a video shot with my drone, they ask "where is the sound"?

Add your own sounds.... last I heard you can't fly over any of the mentioned anyway.

Reactions: Russ43Phantom

Djigo editor has tunes dont it,

It's not just blade noise that would be an issue, but the wind noise. Wind, or even a slight breeze is poison for outdoor mics. If you want crowd sounds, I'd just drop something like a Zoom H1 in the middle of the crowd area, and use a visual for a 'mark' when you begin shooting (I use a clapper). The image of the clapper (closed) matches the sound of the crowd, so your audio would be synced properly to the video. Best option I know of, and it would cost next to nothing ($10 clapper, and a $99 recorder). It would also give you better sound than anything you could possibly have attached to a quadcopter.

Wind and blade noise is a killer on flight vids ..

Of course with sophisticated sound panel - you could filter out the noise - but who has a sound studio desk ?

I must admit that silent video has my ears straining to hear 'something' ... seems unnatural. ANY sound is better than no sound.
But I now add middle road music and maybe a few snippets of commentary ... just to remove that silence.

One thing that does annoy me is some of the music used on vid's ... some add music that is just plain painful to listen to ... the 'author' may like it - but you have to consider the viewer !

Nigel

It's not just blade noise that would be an issue, but the wind noise. Wind, or even a slight breeze is poison for outdoor mics. If you want crowd sounds, I'd just drop something like a Zoom H1 in the middle of the crowd area, and use a visual for a 'mark' when you begin shooting (I use a clapper). The image of the clapper (closed) matches the sound of the crowd, so your audio would be synced properly to the video. Best option I know of, and it would cost next to nothing ($10 clapper, and a $99 recorder). It would also give you better sound than anything you could possibly have attached to a quadcopter.
Clapper? What is it? I will look into it. Thanks!

Wind and blade noise is a killer on flight vids ..

Of course with sophisticated sound panel - you could filter out the noise - but who has a sound studio desk ?

I must admit that silent video has my ears straining to hear 'something' ... seems unnatural. ANY sound is better than no sound.
But I now add middle road music and maybe a few snippets of commentary ... just to remove that silence.

One thing that does annoy me is some of the music used on vid's ... some add music that is just plain painful to listen to ... the 'author' may like it - but you have to consider the viewer !

Nigel
Agree with everything you said, which is the exact reason I asked the question! Looks like we are still in the dark ages on this subject

There is a way to do it actually ...

You could attach a 808 Key cam to the AC and set it to record. Go fly ... you then have DJI video and 808 recording. An 808 weighs about 14gr incl attachment.

Mini 808 Car Key Chain Micro Camera HD 720P H.264 Pocket Camcorder Hidden Cam BT | eBay

s-l225.jpg

You then use Freemake or similar free PC app to convert 808 recording to audio only.

In your video editor - add the 808 audio .... clipping it at suitable point to have it reasonably in synch with video.

Costs ? About $5 for an 808 !! Add another $1 for attachment .... and about 5 mins time on PC.

Nigel

Vzr1 mentioned not being able to fly over football games or concerts. True, but those were just examples of the sounds I was talking about.
However, in my town, there is a fantastic concert venue built right on the edge of the river. I took pretty darn good video flying over the river, which is perfectly legal.
How great would it be to have actual music from the concert to go along with the video?
My sister was there and she could have recorded something, but then we are back to square one and the reason for my question.

Guess the technology isn't out there yet.

There is a way to do it actually ...

You could attach a 808 Key cam to the AC and set it to record. Go fly ... you then have DJI video and 808 recording. An 808 weighs about 14gr incl attachment.

Mini 808 Car Key Chain Micro Camera HD 720P H.264 Pocket Camcorder Hidden Cam BT | eBay

s-l225.jpg

You then use Freemake or similar free PC app to convert 808 recording to audio only.

In your video editor - add the 808 audio .... clipping it at suitable point to have it reasonably in synch with video.

Costs ? About $5 for an 808 !! Add another $1 for attachment .... and about 5 mins time on PC.

Nigel
Nigel, you won't believe this but I actually have one of those, or something just like it. I bought it for an rc airplane, waaaay back in time. Hated flying the plane which is why I got into drones! I will look into Freemake, thank you!

Good question. New to flying. Had no idea I could even record audio lol. Interested to see some posts here
Haha, you can't! You can on your iPad or whatever device you use, but then we are back to square one - having to use some program to add the sound, sync it up etc.

Nigel, you won't believe this but I actually have one of those, or something just like it. I bought it for an rc airplane, waaaay back in time. Hated flying the plane which is why I got into drones! I will look into Freemake, thank you!

Freemake Video Converter is one of best tools ever for this sort of work. And its FREE ! No annoying ads ... no other crap to annoy ... its free and does the job.

For that concert ? difficult one as the sounds the drone makes will drown out any recording you make on attached device ... only way round it is to record audio completely separately.

Nigel

Vzr1 mentioned not being able to fly over football games or concerts. True, but those were just examples of the sounds I was talking about.
However, in my town, there is a fantastic concert venue built right on the edge of the river. I took pretty darn good video flying over the river, which is perfectly legal.
How great would it be to have actual music from the concert to go along with the video?
My sister was there and she could have recorded something, but then we are back to square one and the reason for my question.

Guess the technology isn't out there yet.

There's plenty of technology but physics dominates. The physical
properties of a 'shotgun' or parabolic aided mic make it impossible for a SUAS to carry.
Then it may cross into eavesdropping issues depending on circumstances.

Haha, you can't! You can on your iPad or whatever device you use, but then we are back to square one - having to use some program to add the sound, sync it up etc.

Here's a recording made via the 'tablet' ..... note the 'drone' sounds as it takes off .. lands ... flies near ... plus you get all the crap sounds around as well as your own 'mutterings' ....

Nigel

Freemake Video Converter is one of best tools ever for this sort of work. And its FREE ! No annoying ads ... no other crap to annoy ... its free and does the job.

For that concert ? difficult one as the sounds the drone makes will drown out any recording you make on attached device ... only way round it is to record audio completely separately.

Nigel
And now we are back to my original point. I was asking if anybody heard about any new tech to get around that exact problem. Guess it is still a waiting game.
I will definitely check out Freemake!

Gotcha. Well thanks for the info.
By the way, welcome to flying drones! I started 6 months ago and it has not gotten old one tiny bit. I am 60 and very little makes me excited like a little kid again - except flying my Phantom.
Every day I get and think where can I fly this thing today?
Of course, I am retired so I have a big advantage over most guys who have to go to work every day.
Hopefully you will enjoy it as much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav