Asking for a friend.... ???

Shoot4fun

Drone bum...
Reaction score
Ok, so I have "this friend" who's not too good at setting waypoint missions and may have inadvertently let his P3S get too low while flying over my millet fields (I mean HIS millet fields...) and it took a nasty tumble. Video was ugly, to say the least. Anywho... I was looking at some different props to replace the one what drove itself into said millet field and snapped in two. I've found several factory style replacement sets that'll work ok. I also ran across these on amazon: Amazon.com: O'woda Carbon Fiber Propellers Noise Reduction Props 9455 Tri Blades CW / CCW Propellers for DJI Phantom 3 Series Drone: Toys & Games
Anyone have anything on these? Will they work? Are they worth using? Just curious. I have my spare blades on now, and I'll be more careful until I have some extras on hand, but I wanted some expert advice.

Thanks!
Brad

Ok, so I have "this friend" who's not too good at setting waypoint missions and may have inadvertently let his P3S get too low while flying over my millet fields (I mean HIS millet fields...) and it took a nasty tumble. Video was ugly, to say the least. Anywho... I was looking at some different props to replace the one what drove itself into said millet field and snapped in two. I've found several factory style replacement sets that'll work ok. I also ran across these on amazon: Amazon.com: O'woda Carbon Fiber Propellers Noise Reduction Props 9455 Tri Blades CW / CCW Propellers for DJI Phantom 3 Series Drone: Toys & Games
Anyone have anything on these? Will they work? Are they worth using? Just curious. I have my spare blades on now, and I'll be more careful until I have some extras on hand, but I wanted some expert advice.

Thanks!
Brad
I only use DJI genuine parts. The after-market parts are risky. I've also read those carbon fiber props are a waste of money.

Reactions: Phill2
I only use DJI genuine parts. The after-market parts are risky. I've also read those carbon fiber props are a waste of money.
Not trying to be a ****. I'm just asking for knowledge. What is the downside to the CF props? They aren't much more expensive than factory replacements. Stronger is better in my case. I'm not using this for things like most of you guys do. I fly over fields to check growth of crops, which puts it in a fairly dangerous position most times. Litchi waypoint missions are nice for that sometimes, but I usually need to be able to stop and look at a certain spot if it's out of the ordinary so I'm not a huge fan of waypoints. They look good if you're really good at the input, but I ain't there yet.

Any particular reason? Personal choice is one thing, but if there's a function/danger issue also involved, I'd like to hear your opinions.
Carbon props tend to be more brittle & not as pliable as dji props which can cause failures in flight do a search and you will see comments on this I only use OEM batteries also to minimize failures in flight I don't want to be that guy that hurts anyone nor do I want to destroy my drone

Reactions: Great Pumpkin
Not trying to be a ****. I'm just asking for knowledge. What is the downside to the CF props? They aren't much more expensive than factory replacements. Stronger is better in my case. I'm not using this for things like most of you guys do. I fly over fields to check growth of crops, which puts it in a fairly dangerous position most times. Litchi waypoint missions are nice for that sometimes, but I usually need to be able to stop and look at a certain spot if it's out of the ordinary so I'm not a huge fan of waypoints. They look good if you're really good at the input, but I ain't there yet.
No first hand knowledge, only what I've read about these over the years. If carbon fiber were better, I think DJI would have shipped them as an original part. The overall concensus seems to be DJI props are regarded as the best choice. Plenty strong for any job yet still provide some flexibilty.

Reactions: Shoot4fun
No first hand knowledge, only what I've read about these over the years. If carbon fiber were better, I think DJI would have shipped them as an original part. The overall concensus seems to be DJI props are regarded as the best choice. Plenty strong for any job yet still provide some flexibilty.
Thats why I asked. You guys have more experience with this stuff than I do! I'm still learning the little secrets. The carbon fiber props look good, and sound like a deal, but I don't have any reference point on them. The tri blades look cool. But I'm more interested in functional than looks. If you guys think OEM is the best option, then that's where I'll go. I can get a pretty good deal on several sets at a time. Although I just put on the second set last week and I've been flying this drone for almost 3 years now. The last crash I had before this one didn't hurt the props. Landing gear took the worst damage...?

Reactions: Great Pumpkin
Yip try stay original props,I have many cheap and carbon Fibre props and they really are just useless, cf just to hard and probly after time give a stress cracks or 2,,me used to think wow they cheap but cheap not good ,differentplastic altogether than originals and balance just won't be there,man I probly wasted more money than most on cheap blades only to retire them and gone back to originals,,sure they cost more but it's what the phantom is designed for,,it's all I buy now

Yip try stay original props,I have many cheap and carbon Fibre props and they really are just useless, cf just to hard and probly after time give a stress cracks or 2,,me used to think wow they cheap but cheap not good ,differentplastic altogether than originals and balance just won't be there,man I probly wasted more money than most on cheap blades only to retire them and gone back to originals,,sure they cost more but it's what the phantom is designed for,,it's all I buy now
So far that seems to be the consensus. I've already ordered a couple replacement sets of dji props. Another forum I'm on was split about 60/40 dji/aftermarket. Needed a second opinion.

Thanks!
Brad

Personally, I would stick original DJI props

Shoot for fun I lost my P3se over a lake using cf props the treads stripped on one of the blades. I was beating myself up a little bit for not sticking with OEM. So as a friend telling a friend they’re not all they’re cracked up to be stick with the original OEM just trying to pass on my story

Blue skies
Safe flying.

Props or batteries are what is referred to as 'a single point of failure'

A prop fails - dead bird
A battery fails - dead bird

I spent a few weeks reading here before I bought my first Phantom and so had already decided to only use OEM props and batteries. Of course OEM parts fail sometimes, but not nearly as often

Shoot for fun I lost my P3se over a lake using cf props the treads stripped on one of the blades. I was beating myself up a little bit for not sticking with OEM. So as a friend telling a friend they’re not all they’re cracked up to be stick with the original OEM just trying to pass on my story

Blue skies
Safe flying.
I've had a couple failures in last 2+ yrs. All from OEM equipment. Not saying I wouldn't with non-OEM, because I've never used aftermarket parts. I am mostly curious about what everyone else used. And btw, I DON'T fly over water for that very reason! My drone isn't very expensive relatively speaking, but I'm not interested in telling my wif e I need a new one because mine is at the bottom of the lake. Pretty sure I know her response!
Thanks for your input!
Brad

Last edited:
Props or batteries are what is referred to as 'a single point of failure'

A prop fails - dead bird
A battery fails - dead bird

I spent a few weeks reading here before I bought my first Phantom and so had already decided to only use OEM props and batteries. Of course OEM parts fail sometimes, but not nearly as often
I don't disagree. I do, however, also know that aftermarket doesn't necessarily mean junk. I've built custom trucks for nearly 15 years, and I've learned to use good judgement when researching parts to replace or upgrade from OEM. That, more than anything, is the key to relative safety and security. Nothing is 100% foolproof. The only drone that don't crash is the one what never flies.
Thanks for your input!
Brad

The only drone that don't crash is the one what never flies.
Good one! Can I use that on my wife if mine ever bites the dust? ;)

I'm sure there are a lot of people who have never had a problem with aftermarket Phantom parts... but I have read a few threads here where the flyer had success with DJI replacing their drone after crashing due to an oem part failure, even though the bird was out of warranty... rare I'm sure and probably on a case-by-case basis.

Happy flying -may your skies always be blue and your wind always less than 20 mph :cool:

eta: BTW, I shoot for fun too :)

Last edited:
Good one! Can I use that on my wife if mine ever bites the dust? ;)

I'm sure there are a lot of people who have never had a problem with aftermarket Phantom parts... but I have read a few threads here where the flyer had success with DJI replacing their drone after crashing due to an oem part failure, even though the bird was out of warranty... rare I'm sure and probably on a case-by-case basis.

Happy flying -may your skies always be blue and your wind always less than 20 mph :cool:

eta: BTW, I shoot for fun too :)
You use what I say at your own risk, brother! I shan't be held responsible for the bruising of the neck, nose and eyebrows that may occur from such actions. ?

And shooting was my first passion... Turned into a most expensive hobby the wife terminated after our daughter was born. Now my drone addiction is slowly taking over! Keep it to yourself, please. It'll take a while before she figures it out, I hope. ?

Brad

Motorcycles were my first passion, since age 13. I sold my last street bike 21 years ago after my last kid was born (also due to 'urging' from wife lol)... '84 Harley FXR DG - beautiful machine, loved it... still have dirt bikes tho

I am not a fan of aftermarket parts on highway motor vehicles, but as far as drone blades go I have been using aftermarket blades for a long time. No problems with them. Occasionally you may get one that has a bad hub, but you will notice that when you put that blade on. When you crash your drone,odds are you may break a blade or two, whether they are OEM or not. I agree that the cf blades are a waste of money also. And as far as performance goes, I don’t notice a difference between OEM and aftermarket.
And as been said,,, only my opinion!

I am not a fan of aftermarket parts on highway motor vehicles, but as far as drone blades go I have been using aftermarket blades for a long time. No problems with them. Occasionally you may get one that has a bad hub, but you will notice that when you put that blade on. When you crash your drone,odds are you may break a blade or two, whether they are OEM or not. I agree that the cf blades are a waste of money also. And as far as performance goes, I don’t notice a difference between OEM and aftermarket.
And as been said,,, only my opinion!
I've been reading up on them all day and so far I've found it pretty much 50/50 for and against. Everyone has their opinions, and I respect that. I'm not opposed to trying a set, under controlled conditions, just to see for myself. That only means I'm the type that asks for opinions, weighs the options, then does what he determines is in his best interest. Doesn't mean I ignore advice. At nearly 50 years of age, I've come to the point where I'll do what I want. But I'm smart enough to see what others are doing, and if that works or not, and basing my decisions accordingly.
Thanks for your input!
Brad

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl