ARGTek Range Extender Issues

Thanks. What kind of voltage should I hope for with the Ohm meter? I'm assuming each antennae is the positive lead?

Ah, you lost me. Do you mean a continuity check? Sorry, not great with electricity.

the center antenna is your control of the craft the other two are WIFI video link I'm wondering if them not snapping down is the issue there was an audible click when I installed mine I then grabbed the wire and pulled in it slightly while rotating the connector to make sure it was fully seated. one last thing the silicon the factory uses is pretty tuff stuff but it has to be cleaned off around the connection completely or it can inhibit the connection. this was the hardest part of the whole job I used Tweezers to get it all off was afraid of cutting traces on the PCB board using an exacto knife like I've seen so many folks do. I just took my time and got it done carefully.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Thanks for the explanation of the antennae.

The range may have been the connections. I removed the glue that I had placed and unseated all the connections. The middle circular connector (female side on the board) was bent. In my attempts to get a solid connection, I bent the connector more and deformed the male connector. I tried soldering the wires to the board, but the middle wire broke. New controller now needed! Maybe I'll try the DBS mod instead. The connectors are quite fragile.

the DBS will still need to have the cables connected like the ARGtek was be gentile with it should go well. I work on this stuff like its a bomb I'm disabling

I figured the DBS would be similar. The connectors just aren't very durable, but I guess DJI didn't engineer them for multiple connections/disconnections. Yes, apparently a soft touch is needed!

I figured the DBS would be similar. The connectors just aren't very durable, but I guess DJI didn't engineer them for multiple connections/disconnections. Yes, apparently a soft touch is needed!
they are fairly fragile I took care to cut away as much silicon as possible from the connector but I leave a good bit on the board side to help hold the board connector in place and then pulled straight up on the connection with slow steady pull used a set of forceps to get it done.

tbh, the Argtek is simply a 3D-printed extension bracket so the internal (underpowered) aerials can be replaced by generic-fixing external aerials. So by that, I believe it doesn't really matter what the bracket has printed on it - you just need to be happy that the extension wiring is decent quality and is fixed down and connected properly when you convert the controller.

I'm still tempted to remove mine and properly attach the DBS aerial I have, but I find it convenient to attach the DBS to the argtek mount at the moment.

I went ahead and fitted mine yesterday. Removing the Argtek wiring took a few minutes. Popped the original antenna back in just to keep it looking clean, not a fan of leaving a hole or covering it with a bit of rubber.

Attachments

• IMG_2892.JPG
    IMG_2892.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 469
That's better. I'm sorting mine - just decided right now, after looking at your photo!

Just back from a test flight. The DBS mod and the MagicPower mod has doubled what I was getting with the Argtek and trebled what I was getting stock.

Managed to fly from my front garden to my Fathers house which is exactly 2,333ft away. I am in an extremly congested area which also has an electricity substation nearby so to say I am thrilled is an understatement.

Attachments

• IMG_2895.jpg
    IMG_2895.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 407
Reactions: Zeke64
Will go back to my other favourite test location in the next few days and see if I can get out further. Want to reach 1000m.

they are fairly fragile I took care to cut away as much silicon as possible from the connector but I leave a good bit on the board side to help hold the board connector in place and then pulled straight up on the connection with slow steady pull used a set of forceps to get it done.

Yes, I must not have been careful enough.

I contacted ARGteck and asked for a price for just the three wires. They answered with $25 for shipping. No thanks. I just got the DBS in and will try a gentler hand when installing that!

I just installed the DBS on my P3 4K today, hated drilling holes in it that was the main reason I bought the ARGtek for the standard and later Bought the DBS. I have a 3D printer and I'm sure I could have designed a bracket that would have allowed the install without drilling, But then I would have had to get longer wires so just went ahead and drilled. Best of Luck with your Install Brother the DBS is a real nice device.

Attachments

• IMG_1145.JPG
    IMG_1145.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1146.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 382
mine came with 6
20170821_140412.jpg

Attachments

• 20170821_140412.jpg
    20170821_140412.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 281
You answered your own question, I can regularly get 1500' plus in my neighborhood. Not that it's recommended but go a little higher and see if your range improves. I also unglued the antenna on the drone itself so it doesn't necessarily have be turned a certain way to pick up signal.
Unglued...I'm intrigued.. Can you tell me more about this and why/How you did it?

OK. 330 metres (approximately 1000 feet) over a relatively wooded area..... which I'm a little underwhelmed with tbh. I lost sight of the chopper pretty quickly due to nearby trees.

I do accept that the trees soak up a lot of the signal, however. I'll need to try and find some open land to test it over. there are quite a number of large properties around the area where I live, so I need to try and find somewhere where they won't think I'm an organised crime spotter, casing their joint! :)

Attachments

• IMG_1709.PNG
    IMG_1709.PNG
    673.8 KB · Views: 382

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1