Are you a "good" drone pilot?

Like one poster said, buy a cheap drone(syma x5) and make your mistakes with that one. Using the cheap one, practice hovering, holding your position, figure eights etc...

Top things I see are Knowledge, Skill and Ethics
Knowledge never stops so I have and continue to read the manuals. User, battery, guidelines, etc.
The regulations of your country, these are changing so checking them weekly.
Courses and/or reading about theory of flight, weather, visiting forums like this.Also testing is important so I know how things work. eg. The compass, etc

Skill, flying skill that is, as others noted is practice, but I get your point, what exactly is the “best” practice methods.
I think this depends on your present skill.
If your comfortable with the basic movements, try flying the box as in the simulator.
Then smooth your multi stick movements until your comfortable.
Then manual POI's at varying heights and radius.
Then fly “s” patterns forward and back.
Then perspective practice , at distance be able to judge how close you are.
Then judge altitudes.
Then do all the above in ATTI
Also practicing “ emergency” ( simulated) situations so your prepared. Same as skid practice in a car ,icy parking lot.
Then fly in formation with 3 other Phantoms................ just kidding.

Ethics is about both flying responsibly and respecting the rest of the world and work/fun ethics
I use checklists for almost everything. Having the ethics to follow those everytime.
Checklists include site inspecting, risk managing, maintenance, preflight, postflight etc

I just see many others chimed in while I was typing this. Im a finger typist lol
Sending anyway even though it's a repeat

Had about 8 drones before i bought a phantom. Yep alot of crashes and mistakes. Thats how you learn but you build a muscle memory

Learn as much as you can about how the Phantom operates.
Get lots of practice and an understanding of all the things that can go wrong
Learn what to do to make sure these don't happen to you OR what to do to manage the situation if they do.

im a good pilot because i can fly a foot over peoples heads in a crowded place without hitting anyone. I can also get some lovely close up pics of the houses of parliment and buckingham palace before the police even know im there, and i can hand catch my drone in my mouth...actually that wouldnt be hand catching but you guys know what i mean....beat that!!:D

Excellent response!

Top things I see are Knowledge, Skill and Ethics
Knowledge never stops so I have and continue to read the manuals. User, battery, guidelines, etc.
The regulations of your country, these are changing so checking them weekly.
Courses and/or reading about theory of flight, weather, visiting forums like this.Also testing is important so I know how things work. eg. The compass, etc

Skill, flying skill that is, as others noted is practice, but I get your point, what exactly is the “best” practice methods.
I think this depends on your present skill.
If your comfortable with the basic movements, try flying the box as in the simulator.
Then smooth your multi stick movements until your comfortable.
Then manual POI's at varying heights and radius.
Then fly “s” patterns forward and back.
Then perspective practice , at distance be able to judge how close you are.
Then judge altitudes.
Then do all the above in ATTI
Also practicing “ emergency” ( simulated) situations so your prepared. Same as skid practice in a car ,icy parking lot.
Then fly in formation with 3 other Phantoms................ just kidding.

Ethics is about both flying responsibly and respecting the rest of the world and work/fun ethics
I use checklists for almost everything. Having the ethics to follow those everytime.
Checklists include site inspecting, risk managing, maintenance, preflight, postflight etc

I just see many others chimed in while I was typing this. Im a finger typist lol
Sending anyway even though it's a repeat

Reactions: jack1144
..beat that!!:D
I play chicken with 747's I fly in between people walking down the street I race cars on the freeway and I foot catch :p

Reactions: dirkclod
running jack.gif

Reactions: 750r
I play chicken with 747's I fly in between people walking down the street I race cars on the freeway and I foot catch :p
Now your just being silly....no one can foot catch!!:rolleyes:

Hi all,

Curiously, are you a "good" drone pilot? What makes you think so? What, why and how have you done to make yourself a "good" pilot?

I ask because 1) it would be great to hear what others have done/are doing to become "good" pilots, and 2) share some knowledge and experience with others on what they should do to become a "good" pilot, 3) there have a been a few threads ripping the dumb things that newbies do, with not a lot of explanation on what they should be doing.

Thanks!
Im a good quadcopter pilot as i always let others crash before me ( so thoughtful )

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost