are very small airports + helipads largely ignored?

Reaction score
legalities aside;
lots of drones flying in Miami Beach
with police & (assume) FAA knowledge...
yet technically there is lightly used seaplane
base & helicopter pads putting all of
South Beach within 5-mile radius;
this newbie confused, especially if
traveling elsewhere to areas with
no moderate-to-large size airports;
only correct answer probably don't
fly within 5 miles ANY size, even if
1-flight-per-decade airport, but...?
Thanks.

No, you can fly within the 5 mile radius of those airport. Most of us have discussed and take the position that for those pads, private strips, etc. we will make an honest attempt to contact someone, document it and then go fly. Just be aware that the presence of all of those potential take-off/landing locations means that you need to be doubly aware of your surroundings and keep a watch out for other aircraft in the area.

Reactions: iBatman and BigAl07
as non-commercial Newbie, am always BeginMode,
quick flight under 5 min to take aerial stills at 97m
of, say, beach, then down & move on.
"Notify" = quick call minutes before flying?
e.g, day trip stopping at numerous beaches Miami<===>PalmBeach
(clearly NOT <5mi of moderate-major airports)
Or complicated advanced planning, staying on schedule, etc.?
Who do I ask for? Manager?

Use AirMap and Hover, it should give u the phone number. And check your airspace class. Always error on the side of safety. U can always call the FAA office in your area.

Reactions: Dragonwar
B4UFly shows that I'm within 5 miles of a hospital helipad and an extremely small airstrip. I'm just outside of the 5 mile range of our county airport. Hover/AirMap does not show the hospital helipad or the small airstrip. The small airstrip shows to be privately owned on skyvector.com. It also gives the phone number of the manager (presumed owner). The hospital helipad also shows to be privately owned (by the hospital). Since I live within 5 miles of these two facilities would I have to call each time I fly? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Yep, same exact thing where I am. The private airport has a phone number listed on several websites with an old area code, probably from 20+ years ago when my entire state had only one. If I look at the strip on Google maps, its overgrown and abandoned. I didn't even try to call.

The hospital helipad is rarely in use, but it does happen. I called and worked through a few people, but nobody could tell me anything, or who else to talk to.

I'm not going through that mess with the hospital each time I fly just so I can say I tried. If we have to follow these rules, these private strips and hospitals should know what to tell us when we call.

Reactions: AggieMike92
As I'm new to the drone world, and keeping in mind the FAA registration etc. I duly attempted to contact the only "Airport" within 5 miles according to B4UFly. Basically I called the ph. # provided and since no one answered, left a message with the "Operator", in which I gave my name and Ph# and that I would be flying a hobby drone about 4 miles from them, and to call me if they had any concerns. A view on Google Earth shows some houses and fields, but no sign of any activity unless its a landing strip for Pink Floyd's "Flying Pig"... Needless to say never had a callback.

So if I call PDX and tell them I'll be flying across the street, does that mean I could legally fly 400' right next to a busy class C airport?

Just thinking out loud here.....

If I am in Class G airspace, does it matter how close to an airport I am?
I don't see where this 5 miles thing ever came up, I have not seen any actual regulation to that effect.

Agree with jcdxxx
I have another thread going that is similar to this. If you look at the sectional charts for the area it will tell you what airspace is where. Sectionals will show the smaller airports but they are not classified as B, C or D and can have G airspace all around them. I believe, but don't quote me (input welcome) technically since your drone is considered an aircraft and the FAA is the organization that governs this, that sectional is what takes precedent with the exception of local, park or state laws. And those technically cover you taking off from their land but once in the air authority shifts to the FAA. Now with these smaller airports to be in compliance when you are that close as an aircraft you would announce over a uni or multi com channel of any intent to land, depart or fly in the pattern there. This is where things seem to really get grey for me.
Of course all this gets trumped by using common sense and taking what ever measures are necessary to attain that, so contacting an airport in advance will definitely not hurt.
Input welcome as this is how I am interpreting things at this point, but that does not mean it's correct, I would love to hear others opinions.

Yes, well I am not expert on this either, but once I started studying FCC stuff I realized that while there is a C class above me (small airport near me) but it is at 1600 ft which means I am in class G airspace. Also, contacting an airport? Not sure where that came from either - and tell them what? Your not in their airspace.
BTW I put a DROTAM around my house really just to see if any cares.

Yes, well I am not expert on this either, but once I started studying FCC stuff I realized that while there is a C class above me (small airport near me) but it is at 1600 ft which means I am in class G airspace. Also, contacting an airport? Not sure where that came from either - and tell them what? Your not in their airspace.
BTW I put a DROTAM around my house really just to see if any cares.

If you are under Class C (in class G), from a nearby airport, you are not within the 5 mile radius and do not need to contact anyone.

If you are with in 5 miles of a class C airport, you are in class C airspace and need to call the control tower to notify them of your flight.

"If you are under Class C (in class G), from a nearby airport, you are not within the 5 mile radius and do not need to contact anyone.
It may be true that a class C is always at least 5 miles. I've never seen any statement from the FAA that confirms that, but lets assume it's true.
Yet, it is the case case that I am about 2 miles from an airport, and I am in a class G below a class C.
The trick is that the class C is for a different airport. Take a look - it's LNA and it is just below the center of Trumps TFR so it will be easy to find.

Last edited:
Various posts in this thread appear to be confusing recreational flying guidelines (Special Rule) with Part 107 regulations.

When flying recreationally the guidelines require notification to be made to the airport operator or tower if within 5 miles. The airspace class is irrelevant unless it is Class B, in which case actual approval and coordination is required. Otherwise, for Classes C, D, E and G, you are good to fly provided that you do not endanger air traffic. The airport can object to the flight, but cannot deny authorization since authorization is not required.

Under Part 107 regulations is purely governed by airspace class - operations are permitted in Class G, but require authorization or waiver for any other class. Proximity to an airport is only significant in terms of the resulting airspace class.

Good answer. I suppose you could notify them in writing and say that you will be flying in this area often.
I wonder if a DROTAM would suffice for notification.

Various posts in this thread appear to be confusing recreational flying guidelines (Special Rule) with Part 107 regulations.

When flying recreationally the guidelines require notification to be made to the airport operator or tower if within 5 miles. The airspace class is irrelevant unless it is Class B, in which case actual approval and coordination is required. Otherwise, for Classes C, D, E and G, you are good to fly provided that you do not endanger air traffic. The airport can object to the flight, but cannot deny authorization since authorization is not required.

Under Part 107 regulations is purely governed by airspace class - operations are permitted in Class G, but require authorization or waiver for any other class. Proximity to an airport is only significant in terms of the resulting airspace class.

Interesting..... So a person flying for hobby actually have less restrictive rules than a 107 person. Question, if a person has a 107 but is simply flying as a hobby at the time where do they fall under? Are they required to always adhere to 107 rules or only when they are being paid in some method?

Great input here!!

Great question. If you have no certificate, unless you cause an incident, there is not much that can be done.
If you have a certificate, even if you are flying for sport, then could revoke / suspend it if you misbehave. ( I suppose).

Reactions: FlashBuddy
Interesting..... So a person flying for hobby actually have less restrictive rules than a 107 person. Question, if a person has a 107 but is simply flying as a hobby at the time where do they fall under? Are they required to always adhere to 107 rules or only when they are being paid in some method?

Great input here!!

Yes and no. Part 107 allows for unrestricted flight in Class G airspace, including around airports with no surface Class E or higher. No requirement to call the airport or ATC. On the other hand, if their is non-Class G airspace at the surface then all a recreational pilot needs to do is notify the airport and tower, whereas a Part 107 pilot needs authorization or waiver.

Certified remote pilots (Part 107) have the choice to fly recreationally under the Special Rule (recreational) or under Part 107. You just need to decide which before flying.

Great question. If you have no certificate, unless you cause an incident, there is not much that can be done.
If you have a certificate, even if you are flying for sport, then could revoke / suspend it if you misbehave. ( I suppose).

It's a little more complicated than that.

If you fly recreationally but don't abide by the recreational guidelines then you cease to be protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and fall fully under Part 107 which means, if you are not a certified Remote Pilot, that you have now broken at least one FAA law (non-recreational uncertified operations) and possibly others. The extent to which the FAA might pursue that is not yet clear.

If you fly recreationally or otherwise as a certified Remote Pilot and don't abide by the applicable guidelines or regulations then that may well result in loss of certification - again - currently untested as far as I know.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl