are very small airports + helipads largely ignored?

No - you are supposed to do as the FAA has required under Part 101 and notify the airport operator (most likely the airport manager) and the tower, if there is one. Telephone is the preferred method - you are not required or expected to contact them by radio. When operating near an untowered airport it is a good idea to monitor the CTAF frequency though.
Yes, but if I don't notify on the CTAF frequency, I "run the risk of missing notification to busy fields that operate with just CTAF." since you can be sure the operator of an airport without an ATC won't be doing that.

So you work for the FAA? I don't see where that is stated....

Where what is stated? The requirement to notify the airport operator? It's right there in Part 101 and quoted in Post #30 above, 101.41 (e).

I think that you are now just being willfully argumentative. You cannot be having that much trouble understanding such a simply stated requirement.

Yes, but if I don't notify on the CTAF frequency, I "run the risk of missing notification to busy fields that operate with just CTAF." since you can be sure the operator of an airport without an ATC won't be doing that.

No one said anything about notifying on CTAF - I pointed out that an untowered airport using CTAF, instead of a tower, is a good reason to notify the airport manager, quite apart from the fact that it is a requirement.

Anyway - do as you please - I'm not here to convince you otherwise.

Sorry posts got crossed - where is it stated that a phone call is the prefered (but not required?) method of contact?
I mean I think you are just making things up, but I could be wrong.

Sorry posts got crossed - where is it stated that a phone call is the prefered (but not required?) method of contact?
I mean I think you are just making things up, but I could be wrong.

Oh - right - airport operator phone numbers are published in the A/FD data, and are the quickest way to get in touch. So when I say "preferred", I mean by most people who want to make contact. Not a requirement. You could visit in person, write a letter, or look for an email contact.

Since you think I'm just making stuff up I'll leave you to figure out on your own anything else that you want to know about this subject.

This is the way the law was actually written...

H. R. 658—67

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) IN GENERAL

(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator
of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport
air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located
at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft
operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of
an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating
procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic
control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the
airport)).

This is the way the law was actually written...

H. R. 658—67

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) IN GENERAL

(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator
of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport
air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located
at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft
operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of
an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating
procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic
control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the
airport)).

That should also be read in conjunction with Part 101, although the two say essentially the same thing:

§101.41 Applicability.

This subpart prescribes rules governing the operation of a model aircraft (or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft) that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:

(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.

§101.43 Endangering the safety of the National Airspace System.

No person may operate model aircraft so as to endanger the safety of the national airspace system.

Agree...

The part left out of the FAR was the "mutually-agreed upon operating procedure" when flying from a permanent location. This would have made life a lot easier.

These are mostly quite reasonable but they assert, without citation (as far as I can tell) some dubious interpretations, especially relating to the 5 mile rule.

AOPA has been the major voice for General Aviation and is now courting the drone community. They will push for the least restrictive interpretation of FARs and many times will work with and sometimes challenge what the FAA puts out. Sought of a combination of what the NRA is to gun owners or an ACLU for the aviation community.

AOPA has been the major voice for General Aviation and is now courting the drone community. They will push for the least restrictive interpretation of FARs and many times will work with and sometimes challenge what the FAA puts out. Sought of a combination of what the NRA is to gun owners or an ACLU for the aviation community.

Just for ...ts & giggles I drove to the "airport" that I'm within 5 miles of (well about 4 actually). As per the FAA I called the "operator" the same day I registered the P4. No answer, no call back with any concerns despite a couple of more calls. Here is the "Airport" pic I took today... Now if you look really carefully at the teeny orange dot just across the pond (perhaps its for very, very small Amphibs...), you'll see the "Windsock". If I had a J-3 Cub with an attached "cowcatcher", maybe, just maybe...

IMG_0171.jpg

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Looks more like a private airport
Oh it is, but nonetheless its on the B4UFLY list and the GO app as well. Its official designation is OH35, and if anything flies out of there that going to fly 4 miles, descend below the hilltops and "hedge hop" at below my 400' flight limit here in the valley floor, I'll eat the "windsock":rolleyes:

Fester - your point is made. The fact that you at least attempted to contact the operator puts you in the clear. FAR 101.41(e) is a total joke and the FAA knows it. It's going to take a lot of public complaining for the feds to come up with something better than this nonsense.

Reactions: Fester

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez