are very small airports + helipads largely ignored?

" The extent to which the FAA might pursue that is not yet clear."
It's very clear - unless something bad happens (including bad PR), nada. Why? budget.
Just make sure to stay away from aircraft, which is really very easy.
For one thing, there are almost no rules.
Getting Started

Also note:
Special Rule for Model Aircraft
FAA Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

"The main difference between rules and laws is the consequences associated with breaking them. While each is developed to invoke a sense of order, fair play, and safety, the weight of a law is much heavier than the weight of a rule."

" The extent to which the FAA might pursue that is not yet clear."
It's very clear - unless something bad happens (including bad PR), nada. Why? budget.
Just make sure to stay away from aircraft, which is really very easy.
For one thing, there are almost no rules.
Getting Started

Quite likely correct. But note that the lack of rules, or regulations, for recreational flying is not where the FAA has teeth. Their enforcement authority lies more broadly in that failure to observe recreational guidelines exposes you to the full requirements of Part 107, where they do have teeth.

Ok, tell me how to do it and I will report myself. Outside the bounds of what I said (something bad happened) we will just see what happens.
From the FAA website:
*NOTE: Please do not submit a report with just a link(s) to a video(s) without supporting information. Simply sending a link to a social media site and stating a violation has occurred is not necessarily sufficient to take further action. If you include a link to the specific video in question, you must state the violation which allegedly occurred, the name of the operator (person/company) who took the video, and the location and time the operator filmed the event. Please note, even if a violation has occurred, federal rules of evidence severely limit the use of a video on a social media site as evidence unless the operator admits to taking the video or there is a witness who saw the alleged violation take place.
(I will also exclude spying)

Ok, tell me how to do it and I will report myself. Outside the bounds of what I said (something bad happened) we will just see what happens.
From the FAA website:
*NOTE: Please do not submit a report with just a link(s) to a video(s) without supporting information. Simply sending a link to a social media site and stating a violation has occurred is not necessarily sufficient to take further action. If you include a link to the specific video in question, you must state the violation which allegedly occurred, the name of the operator (person/company) who took the video, and the location and time the operator filmed the event. Please note, even if a violation has occurred, federal rules of evidence severely limit the use of a video on a social media site as evidence unless the operator admits to taking the video or there is a witness who saw the alleged violation take place.
(I will also exclude spying)

Different question than I was addressing. I mostly agree, except that the other likely category is if LE catches you in the process of flying outside the guidelines or rules and reports you to the FAA.

Lots of incorrect information in this thread... which further supports my argument that most of the blame is against the FAA. Seriously, it's just terrible.

Just commenting on hobby use... Section 336 requires all UAV fliers to notify all _airports_ within 5 miles. You must notify _both_ the tower and airport operator. Airport is anything an aircraft might take off from. So yes, if a helicopter or manned aircraft can launch from it... it's an airport.

Now, I'd venture that something like 1% of all fliers ever do all of this to the extend required. I've called the towers at airports to let them know I'm flying but I never knew I also had to call the airport owner. Personally, I think that's stupid if you can reach the tower. I also think that Section 336 probably is probably just worded poorly (I think it should be tower and owner if you can't reach the tower... but that is not what it says).

The FAA then put out an app to show airports. However, (until today) they had no online map to look at... only an app (stupid). Also, the app ony showed airports, nothing else. The online map now show other areas but but's still not complete. For example, both the app and online map lacks the location of prisons. So, if you use the info from the FAA you only need to spend a few hours before every flight to check several different sources to see if you are okay to fly. Seems reasonable.

As I've mentioned before, in my opinion DJI puts out the best information. It's not complete but I think it is the best stand alone map.

1% ? I think that's a little high.
What's more the towers/owners really do not want to hear it. It's just absurd - not to mention vague.
It will be interesting to see if it's ever enforced. If it is that's when change will come.
If everyone did do it, that would end it - they would be swamped.

Last edited:
I call the Airport in Hillsboro and inform them I am flying my drone at so and so location, and they always say fly below 400 ft and have a good time. They just want to know you are flying and where.

Well suppose they had 100 or so of those on good day - or at some point 1000. Might lose that sense of humor.
The sick sick part is that there is already a much better system already in place, that the FAA basically set up it self.
My proposed solution:
Go to Flight Service, set up an account and file a DROTAM. Then if anyone cares they can just go to SkyVector and have a look.
It's unbelievable the FAA did not use SkyVector for their B4Ufly app, and add in filing a DROTAM. Then if there was a problem, they could just notify you via the app.
Also this app could warn you if you are planning to fly in a bad area, in a meaningful way (i.e. not class G air space).
I'm sure skyvector could have saved us a bunch of money and done a better job if they had just adapted their app for the FAA.

If I am in Class G airspace, does it matter how close to an airport I am?
I don't see where this 5 miles thing ever came up, I have not seen any actual regulation to that effect.

§ 101.41 Applicability.

This subpart prescribes rules governing the operation of a model aircraft (or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft) that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:

(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.

(when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) - so the airport that is 2 miles from me, has no ATC, so no need to notify.
Ditto for helipads. We're good!

(when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) - so the airport that is 2 miles from me, has no ATC, so no need to notify.

Except that you ignored the requirement also to notify the airport operator.

Reactions: tcope

I agree with this. I've stated it before, but was shot down by several others.

The example I used was a near by seaport which is a few miles from my house. I've seen 1 plane take off from there in the last 4 years. Anyway, according to some, I'm supposed to contact this seaport before any rec flight. It's a river, and that's it. There is nobody to contact.

So the way I see it is, anything with a tower, call.

I agree with this. I've stated it before, but was shot down by several others.

The example I used was a near by seaport which is a few miles from my house. I've seen 1 plane take off from there in the last 4 years. Anyway, according to some, I'm supposed to contact this seaport before any rec flight. It's a river, and that's it. There is nobody to contact.

So the way I see it is, anything with a tower, call.

That's often going to be a reasonable approach, but simply only calling airports with towers runs the risk of missing notification to busy fields that operate with just CTAF.

Realistically, very very few pure hobbyists will do this at all.
For one thing, the FAA never really said how you would do this - a phone call? a letter? a telegram? nor how often or even exactly what you are to notify them about.
If it ever comes up in my case, I will point to my DROTAM as my notification. Never said how to do it.

That's often going to be a reasonable approach, but simply only calling airports with towers runs the risk of missing notification to busy fields that operate with just CTAF.
Oh, so now I am supposed to have a VHF transceiver, listen on the CTAF frequency and notify each approaching aircraft?
You should not be flying in an area where this would make any sense.

Oh, so now I am supposed to have a VHF transceiver, listen on the CTAF frequency and notify each approaching aircraft?
You should not be flying in an area where this would make any sense.

No - you are supposed to do as the FAA has required under Part 101 and notify the airport operator (most likely the airport manager) and the tower, if there is one. Telephone is the preferred method - you are not required or expected to contact them by radio. When operating near an untowered airport it is a good idea to monitor the CTAF frequency though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna