Are there ANY good aftermarket brands?...

Just to chime in... They aren't just plastic. Some non-DJI props are constructed in two parts, the blades and hub shell as one mold and a plastic hub insert that is the prop locking piece. If those two pieces detach from each other in the air (which is the only time they do), it's disaster time. Best to stick with OEM. DJI doesn't want owners to constantly crash, while aftermarket no name Chinese prop manufacturers don't really care once they've sold you props.

Reactions: Phoenix One
I totally agree phantom wolf and i appreciate you asking the question and trying to cover all your bases. But to be honest you are cool as ice in my opinion brother. My comments were directed at starz who seemed to come in and drop a snarky comment and then leave. But I dont like when people talk down or judge others and act so perfect. Its kinda why Americans have a bad name.. some us.. well.. most of us.. have big heads.and think we are the only ones who can do right in the world. Im glad you asked the question. Obviously and it's why I came to comment. But then when I get a its simple math comment from starz. It may not be simple math for everyone or easy money either. Or it could be free money. Who the hecks knows. But again I don't go judging anyone for what they are able to or not able to do. Maybe he didn't realize how it sounded. But i think he knows exactly how it sounded.. I was serious about letting my $1,999 p4p obsidian plus be a guinea pig.. I know what it is..I know its worth. Im willing to figure it out. Anyway. Im going to fly now ill watch my times right them down and look at my number of charge cycles.

Last edited:
Yip me brought heaps of cheap p3s ones a few p4 ones some are pretty good most are off balance rubbish,,the only props I not buy yet are the led rechargeable ones,that's just bit dodgy,,always have a set in me box incase I break 1 or 2 somehow lol

Reactions: Phoenix One
I like the look of those light up props but would only put them on something a little older and cheaper lol like a p3. But Got another solid 30 minute flight earlier today at sunset with my p4p Out of my generic battery. Really surprises me more then my autel evo with brand new oem batteries. Feels like i have twice the airtime. Might make a video bout it.

Regarding OEM vs generic batteries... I can understand getting the same or slightly different (+ or-) flight time for less money for generics. One question I have though is has anyone done any research or had any experience with comparing the life expectancy i.e number of charging cycles or what the flight time has deteriorated to after a dozen or two charging cycles? I know cheaper batteries for some electronics, say cordless phones, do not have the same life expectancy as higher quality batteries. In other words, will one get the same lifetime of a lesser expensive battery as from an OEM from DJI?
When it comes to LiPo batteries the cells themselve are made of the same materials. I've found the biggest difference between 3rd party and OEM is the electronics in the battery control boards. I've only tested and compared batteries for the P3 series and I've found all brands including OEM have practically identical flight times, operating temps. As far as how long they last, the jury is still out because all mine are still giving me the same flight times. If taken care of, charged and stored properly, they all should last equally long. The only brand I've had consistent issues with is Powerextra. While the cells inside are likely identical to all other brands, the battery control board is very different. Mine does not autodischarge and has a shutdown issue when used for a full flight when its hot and almost depleted (it appears to turn off but a small amount of current still flows and makes the AC do a clicking sound, removing the battery and letting it cool stops this, but it repeats every full flight).
My OEM and FlyHi brand function identically so that tells me FlyHi was able to correctly reproduce the battery control board that DJI uses.

Reactions: Phantomwolf
As far as customization I'm mostly talking about color.
You can have any color you want with liquid Rit Dye. I dyed 4 oem white ones navy blue, back when I had my P3 standard... it was red white and blue and got lots of positive comments at a July 4th get-together that year.... been wanting to try and simulate a 'wood look' mixing Burnt Umber, Brown, and whatever other color(s) to get the right shade

Personally, for commercial use, I would always use OEM components and on any of my drones. That and good maintenance is the best insurance against a rapid, unplanned disassembly.

Prototyping and manufacturing technology is so advanced now, there is probably little to no difference between OEM and aftermarket parts. Unfortunately, given the long life of batteries and props, there is no reasonable way for the average person to do a scientific test and comparison between parts to know if the quality, durability, and life, is the same.
Since failure of either a prop or a battery would be catastrophic, the safest course for my company, with the data I have available to make the decision, is OEM. I see it as a risk limitation issue.
For personal use, experiment and have fun. I have a 10 year old home-built quad that is a Frankenstein’s monster of parts, and I have never had an issue with it. Just fly in a safe area.

Fly safe.

When it comes to the topic of buying props we all know there’s tons of options. From the DJI brand to plenty of aftermarket brands. The question is are there ANY aftermarket brands for props that are actually of good quality that you trust on your quad? I feel like of all the brands that there must be one that is of quality and trustworthy. I mean it’s JUST plastic!

D

I tried Master Airscrew props just because I wanted to, plus they are cheaper and come in different colors (which doesn't matter to me) Master Airscrew has been making props for RC planes etc for years so I trust them. So far, am satisfied with their products. I also use a PowerExtra battery and have had no issues. I also did not pay full price for my drone, got it on clearance at Sam's Club. I am retired and on a budget, so am happy I can save some money here and there and still enjoy my hobby. :) (I have a P3S I have been flying for about 3 years) My Drone.jpg

I had similar reservations about after market batteries until I decided to try one. It worked well and was equivalent to the DJI batteries in every way except needing an extra check on being fully clicked in, which is good practice anyway. Now I'm having older DJI batteries arrive at end of life for one reason or another, and I'm replacing them as needed with PowerExtra. Have 3 of them in service now for probably 50 flights with no issues at all.

My own personal opinion about life expectancy of LiPo batteries with DJI and others, is that there is enough variation among batteries of the same brand that a "normal" life expectancy isn't useful. Just keep a watchful eye on how they perform in both charge and discharge events, label them so you can keep notes on them and keep the use cycles roughly balanced, and keep rolling.

One more personal opinion - From using RC batteries in the fixed wing hobby for years, I feel that the aftermarket guys are charging fair-market rates and DJI is gouging. That's actually what got me started using PowerExtra in the first place. If DJI charged a fair price, I'd be replacing in kind with them.

My comments were directed at starz who seemed to come in and drop a snarky comment and then leave.
My apologies if you found something in post#14 that was offensive.
Certainly not intended. I didn’t leave, just didn’t see that more information was needed. Simple math is a common term for a mathematical equation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4