Are stress cracks like this really a big deal?

Reaction score
I always hear mixed opinions about stress cracks. When is it important to repair would y'all say?

Attachments

• 20211205_111723.jpg
    20211205_111723.jpg
    634.5 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: meeestermike
I always hear mixed opinions about stress cracks. When is it important to repair would y'all say?
If you will take a 1/16th drill bit and drill hole where crack stops, It will do just that,stop the crack!! Then paint the crack with the glue shown below,e-bay good to find glue!!!

Attachments

• 20211206_084153.jpg
    20211206_084153.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 117
I just used superglue on mine, it's held up fine - that being said it has not been my primary flyer for a couple years now :)

There was mention of this on the Mavic forum also but I've never experienced any of these cracks... but then, I've never owned a Phantom either so...

Key word. Trick.
Some folks aren’t good at tricks. I’ve seen it with my own eyes watching people with drills in their hands.
Wrap a piece of electrical tape about 1/8”-1/4” from end of bit. Use that as a stop.
If it’s too difficult to wrap the tape around such a thin bit you can at least use a sharpie to mark the spot you want to stop and just be very careful you don’t go past that Mark

Reactions: Azmopic
They use that same drilling trick on real airplanes. I fly single-engine small planes, and small growing cracks in the skin are often stopped with a tiny hole.

Why they happen is the same reason why you shouldnt ignore or your drone will fall outa the sky and youll think it because your battery must have died. the cracks happen because of the sudden stopping and turning of the drone at those speeds over time a crack will appear on all your arms and if you dont notice the crack youll continue flying when all of a sudden snap there goes one of your motor arms. the only solution is to take apart entire drone which is not easy replace with new shell i reinforced the inner shell mounts with epoxy then put drone back together put alloy reinforced brackets under each motor mount and now after 2 years of flying not one problem or any crack.

Same thing happened to my P4P. Repair done by PERSONAL DRONE REPAIR. Mike Starley replaced both shells. Now it's perfect! He is in Winder, Georgia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.