Are DJI Flyaways still an issue?

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting the DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ but every store I have spoken to wants to tell me they will always fly away. I am starting to believe they are just using it as a selling point for the 350QX3 (That I already have) but not sure. So what better way to find out is ask the ones that fly them everyday. I already own 2 350QX3 AP Quads and it looks like the Phantom has more features that I like so I am selling the 350QX3's and getting the DJI Phantom 2 Vision+'s if the flyaway issues are fixed.

Flyaways will always be around until everyone starts reading the manual, they understand the manual, and they do the proper pre-flight checks. Sure, things could still go wrong if you do these things -- but, your chances of a flyaway will be far less.

Reactions: CoolClownFish
There is no single cause for a fly-away and it will never be 'fixed'.

Components and systems fail so it can seemingly fly-away. This cannot be prevented.

Then you must consider the human element and that most Phantom owners have never flown an r/c aircraft.

If you're worried about loss or damage then you shouldn't fly any thing that's radio controlled.

Not trying to be harsh but ask anyone who as flown r/c... it's not if but when.

Not sure how anyone can say a P3 is less likely.

There is no single cause for a fly-away and it will never be 'fixed'.

Components and systems fail so it can seemingly fly-away. This cannot be prevented.

Then you must consider the human element and that most Phantom owners have never flown an r/c aircraft.

If you're worried about loss or damage then you shouldn't fly any thing that's radio controlled.

Not trying to be harsh but ask anyone who as flown r/c... it's not if but when.

I know all about the cost and chances. My 350QX3 AP flew away a week ago and I am experienced. Can the DJI be tracked after a crash or flyaway?

CoolClownFish, the DJI Vision app will show you the last known location. That only works when you're within Wi-Fi range though.

Another option is to install a tracker -- like one of these:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/#Trackers

I know all about the cost and chances. My 350QX3 AP flew away a week ago and I am experienced. Can the DJI be tracked after a crash or flyaway?
OIt of the box, there is a built in "find my phantom" feature in the app you use when flying but it is only reliable when you have a wifi connection to the bird. It is basically a map showing you the last known location.

Many also attach a gps tracker to the bird to keep tabs on it. Most require a data plan. There are many options.

There is also aftermarket called flytrex that you can use to track it. Look that one up.

Edit: **** you msinger Lol.

;)

I had a few blade 350qx's before my phantoms. They are decent quads. But I really enjoy the phantoms. Good luck. I haven't had a fly away with either.

*knock on wood*
:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have $3K invested in my Phantom 2NV. The Flytrex 3G cost me $200 (yes, I paid full price). I figure it's a good price for insurance.

"Fly aways" is a relative description, but I'm pretty sure they're always going to be around, mainly because of user errors.

I would have used the word "fly away" if it flew away from me the first time I flew it, and I didn't know it had GPS-issues. I had a hard time keeping it in control while filming, and as I later discovered it was because it lost GPS signal and went into ATTI-mode, something I didn't understand as a new pilot. In other words, if I had been more reckless, it could have just taken off in one direction and kept going. Luckily, I wasn't.

When it turns out to be pilot error, it should probably be called a "getaway".

No such thing as a fly-away. It's just the Return To Home function. Problem is home is in China.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31