Approved waivers?

Reaction score
I live in Las Vegas and 90% of the housing here is in Delta or Bravo airspace, which leads me to ask how many of you have airspace waivers and if so, how many times did you have to submit to finally get them? Any tips would also be appreciated. I have applied for both Delta and Bravo but only just within the past few days so I am just preparing for the worst and looking for info now from those who have had to adjust their requests one way or another.

I looked there and honestly there are not many airspace waivers and even fewer for real estate which is why I posted in the real estate section.

I've gotten them and haven't had one rejected yet but my airspace is pretty simple in this area. Class C on both of them.

Each one took around 100 days. Hope this helps.

Was there anything you added to your request that set it apart from most? For example did you say you would monitor tower frequency on portable radio for extra awareness or some thing out of the box to assist you in getting your waiver?

Was there anything you added to your request that set it apart from most? For example did you say you would monitor tower frequency on portable radio for extra awareness or some thing out of the box to assist you in getting your waiver?

We always use a VO, Monitor Av freq, and I always mention I am a Manned Aircraft pilot with 20 years experience and 4 decades sUAS experience.

One thing I do not do is get "long winded" and try to fluff it up. I state the specifics and don't try to stretch it out. Brief but specific which is pretty much the opposite of how I am most of the time LOL.

Sounds like I may get it. I am an instrument rated commercial helicopter and cfi here and have flown tours her in vegas which I included in my submission as well as that i have 2 way radio ability if the tower wants as well as using a VO trained in visual scanning according the the pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge chapter 13

We finally got a wide area authorization for LAS class B. It took 121 days. Like it was said before, keep it simple and to the point and address all the performance based standards for whichever waiver and/or auth you're applying for. The LAANC might be implemented in LAS by the time they get to your request finished. :)

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
I applied about 6 weeks ago for Class D airspace to do real estate photography in Chico CA, where the Chico Municipal Airport, CIC 5 mile radius covers almost all of this town, and has continual GA and sporadic helicopter traffic.

My application included numerous pre-flight and in-flight safety procedures, with VO's as needed. I have 2 way aeronautical radio on at all times during ops no matter the airspace and location where I am flying. We have other un-towered airports and farm airstrips, including surrounded by Class E airspace.

As @scoopieb pointed out, LAANC is expected to go live for Las Vegas on June 21st. We'll probably pick up some additional work when that happens because we've been telling our in-house clients to wait for that before making mapping requests.
Do you know if the live dates have been fairly on time so far this year in the other regions? I am also in Vegas and have been looking forward to it being live here as most of our city is part of one of three airports.

I have never tried the waiver route, I do have over 10 wide area authorizations though. They averaged about 70 days. With the new LAANC system in place that whole process will be practically obsolete anyway.

I have never tried the waiver route, I do have over 10 wide area authorizations though. They averaged about 70 days. With the new LAANC system in place that whole process will be practically obsolete anyway.

With several not participating it won't be obsolete but it "should" be much more efficient with the majority of the workload being transferred over to the LAANC system.

With several not participating it won't be obsolete but it "should" be much more efficient with the majority of the workload being transferred over to the LAANC system.
True, hence the word "practically". Fortunately for me it looks like everywhere I typically need authorization is participating.

Reactions: BigAl07
my most recent authorization only took 5 weeks, much quicker now that LAANC has offloaded much of their backlog. It took 90 days when I originally got the same Delta authorization.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20