App Store review delays ground DJI's new Phantom 3 drone

The business model is a joke.
1) make an Apple-esque intro video
2) take money from misinformed people
3) make the hardware last minute from zero interest money the customer lends you
4) solve software problems after hardware ships
5) apply iOS app late and blame Apple

I bet you the P3 will be the first drone to suffer a mass recall. I also bet the app, once reviewed, will have bugs anyway.
The way they're doing business is worse than an indiegogo startup.
And people think a company like this makes a better camera than GoPro? lol
You clearly didn't see the complaints associated with the GoPro Hero 3 roll out. My Hero 4 has been trouble free but the first 3's were a nightmare. Mine was swapped out 3 times. By the way, 3DR is taking money and has nothing so far. No new onboard videos, no new information.

Reactions: Jstic
I have never bought things in the past just to be the first to own something. I don't stand lines at Apple stores

Of course you don't. It's much more fun to drive by all of the people in the line and make fun of them out of your car window.

Reactions: Jstic
I see the whiners, crybabies and chronic complainers are out in full force in this forum. I had hoped this forum would be different than the P2V+ forum with all it's wild conspiracy theories, bogus "phantom" fixes, misdiagnosed problems, and constant bashing of DJI.

This is a hobby for 99% of us, a few days is not going to kill anyone. If you don't like it, you certainly have the option of returning your phantom, and buy a walkera or some competitor. Then go on one their forums, they are filled with 2x as many whiners. You'll feel right at home.

Since you haven't and don't plan to buy a Phantom, you sound like you are either (1) upset with DJI for some reason, or (2) have an hidden agenda to discredit DJI. Point (1) is not really a criticism. Point (2) begs the question: people are only misinformed if DJI is misleading everyone and that isn't at all clear from your arguments. Point (3) has little basis, what evidence is there they are making the hardware last minute. Point (4) makes no sense since it is Apple that is holding up the process. Even Apple themselves solve a lot of problems after a product ships. It's known as patches and updates. Point (5) if it is Apple's fault, then Apple is to blame. If they got an iOS app in late, so what? That doesn't mean no one should buy a Phantom. Even Apple ships products/updates late. As far as the recall, on what basis? What evidence for this?

I'm not saying you're wrong about some of this, but it is VERY speculative at this point and pessimistic. It brings me back to my original point: why are you so mad at DJI and/or is there a hidden agenda?

It has already been gathered that it was not Apple's fault and DJI has apologized.
Yes, I have every right to be skeptic, since DJI has a very bad history of addressing problems in the past, especially batteries.
Whether or not DJI is misleading, we'll see. Imho, many things point to a premature sales launch on the software side.
Yes, 3DR is offering preorder too, I never said otherwise and its a practice I find unnecessary for large companies.
My agenda is voicing my opinion, though it may not be in tune with everyone else's. It will not change DJI's business model, just my 'two cents'.

Reactions: pterrill
actually dji had the option to sign their ios app with an enterprise certificate, which means they dont have to go through the review process. they just build the app, upload it to amazon and users download it and install it outside the app store.

That's what got DJI into a major steaming pile of crap in the first place. They were distributing the Pilot App, LB app, and Vision app all using Enterprise licenses. Serious violation of Apple's TOS. All the apps got pulled and DJI nearly had the Apple license terminated. Enterprise is, as the name suggests, for enterprises. We're still waiting for DJI to get the Lightbridge app through the proper channels some 5 months later.

There must be some other issues with the app than just slow review, because Apple usually handles apps like DJI Pilot with high priority. They really don't want their iOS users to turn to Android just because their review is so slow.

Apple doesn't give any business high priority, not even major corporations. The app submission process is a black box. You submit and wait. Apple usually takes a few days to approve or reject. They are pretty consistent. And they reject on the first issue they find. They don't look for more. So if your app is sloppy, you'll probably be submitting multiple times.

I can guarantee you the reason the app is delayed has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with DJI. This is a typical DJI launch.

Last edited:
Apple doesn't give any business high priority, not even major corporations. The app submission process is a black box. You submit and wait. Apple usually takes a few days to approve or reject. They are pretty consistent. And they reject on the first issue they find. They don't look for more. So if your app is sloppy, you'll probably be submitting multiple times.

I can guarantee you the reason the app is delayed has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with DJI. This is a typical DJI launch.

I did not blame Apple at all now did I? I did say "There must be some other issues with the app than just slow review," Read that how you want but I did blame DJI. What comes to priorities, there are some, when Apple products are critical part of other product or service. Apple is a business after all. Devices/services/apps bringing money to them = priority. I know DJI Pilot app does not directly bring any money to Apple other than maybe some device sales every now and then. What you can't buy is being featured in App store. That is fully based on the app itself and if it is good enough and lucrative for Apple.

Anyhow, DJI is the one to blame for late submit.

As an app producer, we know the apple approval window is 7-10 days, with 48 hour turn around to work through rejections. Apple is VERY accommodating. Especially if you are a large company with a rolling app lineup. We finish out games with 20 days to spare just in case. We wouldn't want purchased advertising to hit and an app be tied up in review. It's just proper planning.

I have never experience Apple reject a submission unless there was something seriously wrong with the app. Even Apple's nitpicky stuff has a reason (like restore purchase requirement , font sizes, 64bit, etc)

DJI or their developer is 100% to blame on this.

Reactions: ianwood
I generally agree. Wasn't suggesting you were blaming Apple. Just adding what I know.

The only point I am not sure I agree on is if there's a fast track. I've been part of app submissions for major corporations and they wait like everyone else. Sometimes insider connections will grease wheels but most often even if your app is from Disney, Sony, etc., you still wait the same time as the others. That said the wait is usually only one or two days for rejections.

There is a fast track but it's a fair one (you have a critical error that needs addressing or get app rejected for specific reasons), but it's fair to everyone. Generally the Priority Path for large companies with regular apps is to meet with Apple apps teams multiple times and let them review alpha/beta versions to ensure it is on the right track and their are no red flags that would prevent submission. That's doesn't necessarily mean it will get approved faster, but typically means less rejection and easier review process.

I also see apple rejecting the app if functionality cannot be proven (DJI device not available, or available and it just didn't work, or work without firmware update) or some simple oversight (missing legal copy/disclaimers, IAP functionality but no "Restore" feature). We had a video player get rejected (we wanted to launch a few days early) because the content system wasn't in place or was down at the time of review, so it just didn't play anything. We expected a 7-10 day approval window and it happened in 5 days. We resubmitted the following day and got approved within 24 hours. Could be possible they wanted to make sure the device would connect to a drone? and knowing DJI it straight out didn't work without a phantom and firmware updates (could take a while to resolve an issue like this).
or it could be that the build was straight out broken (could be a few days).

That's what got DJI into a major steaming pile of crap in the first place. They were distributing the Pilot App, LB app, and Vision app all using Enterprise licenses. Serious violation of Apple's TOS. All the apps got pulled and DJI nearly had the Apple license terminated. Enterprise is, as the name suggests, for enterprises. We're still waiting for DJI to get the Lightbridge app through the proper channels some 5 months later.

didnt know that pilot, lb and vision apps were signed with enterprise certificates, as a developer i have an enterprise license also, but im not aware of the tos (my tech staff does).

i love how much apple takes care about the apps that hit the store, they dont want shitty apps, poorly designed apps, etc... and just like we mentioned no business/goverment/entity has priority or is excempt of the design guidelines and what can or cant be done with the app which is good because apple care about customers.

however this makes me think if its wise to rely the functionallity of your product to a third party, in this case dji to apple. wouldnt it would be easier to develope a private app which is attached to the rc and not to your cell phone?

As an app producer, we know the apple approval window is 7-10 days, with 48 hour turn around to work through rejections. Apple is VERY accommodating. Especially if you are a large company with a rolling app lineup. We finish out games with 20 days to spare just in case. We wouldn't want purchased advertising to hit and an app be tied up in review. It's just proper planning.

I have never experience Apple reject a submission unless there was something seriously wrong with the app. Even Apple's nitpicky stuff has a reason (like restore purchase requirement , font sizes, 64bit, etc)

DJI or their developer is 100% to blame on this.

i`ve only been rejected once...
im pretty sure the guy who reviewed my app was in a bad mood, maybe didnt have sex in the morning, or his coffe was cold... its been three months and the app hasnt been aproved...

Just read the entire manual. Seems fairly straight forward. Only found 1 mistake where it refers to the Inspire instead of the P3. One thing troubling though, it seems that you can ONLY control altitude in a low battery auto-descend situation. Doesn't seem like that will help if you are over a tree or some other hazard. Anyone else read that different?

I picked up on the inspire bit to lol. I thought it meant tho you could adjust altitude in RTH, but in auto land as in coming straight down battery about to die, you could indeed move to the left or right to avoid a tree or pond.
My concern was about distance in GPS mode, not height but distance, stating this could be set in the app. I fear in GPS mode there might be a cap distance as it stated no distance limit in atti mode. Meaning if we want to fly far away we will have to do this in atti mode which I don't like the sound of. I have read this page about 10 times now and I still can't make my mind up, but then I have got far to excited tonight while reading the manual and drinking far far to much alcoholic beverage so I will read again in the morning. Lol. Over all tho a good read and a good night for sad little P3 obsession.

Blade and Ed said you could use the inspire app until the iOS is out that is wrong mine does nothing great job dji

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blade and Ed said you could use the inspire app until the iOS is out that is wrong mine does nothing great job dji

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's not exactly what they said. They said you could only use it on android until the real android app is available tomorrow. Have to wait for iOS.

If you're in the US and are willing to spend $40 not to wait for the iOS release, you can pick up a Moto G from Best Buy for $40 unlocked, no contract right now. Reports on inspirepilots are that it works with DJI Pilot, though video's a bit lagged. But as a stopgap, reasonably cheap.

Reactions: 1 person
I bought the Ipad Air specifically for my P3 and was somewhat disappointed when I learned of the delay. I was able to download the android Pilot App and it connected with no problem to my HTC M8.I think the app is intended for the Inspire though.

4 to 6 weeks, Noooooooooooooooo. Really. i cant even bring myself to google this and read it myself or it will be true. :(:(:(:( I asked them this this morning and they said maybe 1 or 2 more days.

This info should probably go as a main thread by the way if its certain.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT