App Store review delays ground DJI's new Phantom 3 drone

I've been assured several times by numerous people, that the Inspire one app would work...no problem.
I can understand problems with the app, but no manual??
DJI's in a rush...competition must be close...

The business model is a joke.
1) make an Apple-esque intro video
2) take money from misinformed people
3) make the hardware last minute from zero interest money the customer lends you
4) solve software problems after hardware ships
5) apply iOS app late and blame Apple

I bet you the P3 will be the first drone to suffer a mass recall. I also bet the app, once reviewed, will have bugs anyway.
The way they're doing business is worse than an indiegogo startup.
And people think a company like this makes a better camera than GoPro? lol

3) make the hardware last minute from zero interest money the customer lends you

I bet you the P3 will be the first drone to suffer a mass recall. I also bet the app, once reviewed, will have bugs anyway.
Did you preorder a P3 as well?

Luckily no, because I expected a fiasco and am not willing to give away money for false promises.

Actually, on the contrary. As a previous customer of DJI and future owner of another drone, there's no place to be better informed on how things are coming along to better assess my decision. This isn't a $50 kickstarter campaign where mishaps can be forgiven.

Its a big race between DJI and 3DR.. DJI is trying to get the P3 out as fast as they can for the people who just can't wait.. It guarantees initial market share.

I have been flying the P3 with the Android DJI Pilot 1.07

Reactions: Fplvert
That's true. DJI is saying "We're going to be first, but no promises when the all features will be available." while 3DR is saying "We'll be second, but everything is going to work as promised and guarantee 30 days money back and a new drone/camera if you crash due to hardware/software failure."
I have never bought things in the past just to be the first to own something. I don't stand lines at Apple stores and I don't pay for things that are not tested and reviewed. But that's just silly old me.

Seems like there is a lot of blame and miss information in this thread. Let's get one thing clear, we don't know exactly why the app might be released on iOS after the first people take deliveries of their P3's. All I'm seeing in this thread is Apple and DJI hate.

I live in the tech capital (San Francisco) and have a great understanding of iOS app approval. Here is what I think happened (again, no one knows for sure):

The Android App Store approval process is none. You can release an app update and submit it and it is immediately live.

Apple is completely the opposite. When the developer of an app has an update they want to submit to Apple to put on the App Store, they log into their developer Apple account and submit the app update to Apple. The review process on Apple's end is completely random. It can be a week, it can be 6 weeks, or it can be 2 weeks. Again, this process is completely random and is completely up to Apple. Having said that, I'm sure everyone with an iOS device has seen how many app updates have rolled out for their favorite apps over the last two weeks to be compliant with the Apple Watch that was released this past Friday. I was gone for a week and just got home tonight and saw I had 20 app updates. No doubt Apple's App Review Team has been SLAMMED the last two weeks.

I haven't been following the DJI Pilot app when it first came out for iOS, but didn't Apple pull it after they approved it and it was in the App Store for awhile over security concerns and how the Inspire 1 controller pushes data and video to the iOS app? Anyways, with the Apple App Review Team being slammed this past month with the Apple Watch rolling out, and given the history of the DJI Pilot app being pulled, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple is double and triple checking the app before they approve it.

I am sure DJI submitted it with plenty of time, but Apple is lagging given these situations.

I'm sure everything will be straightened out within a week. I'm super excited to receive my P3P like everyone else! :D

I am sure DJI submitted it with plenty of time, but Apple is lagging given these situations.

I'm sure everything will be straightened out within a week. I'm super excited to receive my P3P like everyone else! :D

Yes, only DJI had already admitted that one of their engineers caused the delay and apologized for laying blame on Apple. :/

It isn't great that a company like DJI with experience of previous app store releases has failed to get it approved in time and I do hope its done within days and not weeks as I do not know one end of android from the other.

Just read the entire manual. Seems fairly straight forward. Only found 1 mistake where it refers to the Inspire instead of the P3. One thing troubling though, it seems that you can ONLY control altitude in a low battery auto-descend situation. Doesn't seem like that will help if you are over a tree or some other hazard. Anyone else read that different?

Since you haven't and don't plan to buy a Phantom, you sound like you are either (1) upset with DJI for some reason, or (2) have an hidden agenda to discredit DJI. Point (1) is not really a criticism. Point (2) begs the question: people are only misinformed if DJI is misleading everyone and that isn't at all clear from your arguments. Point (3) has little basis, what evidence is there they are making the hardware last minute. Point (4) makes no sense since it is Apple that is holding up the process. Even Apple themselves solve a lot of problems after a product ships. It's known as patches and updates. Point (5) if it is Apple's fault, then Apple is to blame. If they got an iOS app in late, so what? That doesn't mean no one should buy a Phantom. Even Apple ships products/updates late. As far as the recall, on what basis? What evidence for this?

I'm not saying you're wrong about some of this, but it is VERY speculative at this point and pessimistic. It brings me back to my original point: why are you so mad at DJI and/or is there a hidden agenda?

Reactions: Jstic

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31