Anyone heard of "Drone Pilot Ground School"- UAV Coach $

Hey Keith, that's good to hear. I took the Drone Pilot Ground School and the owner has been johnny on the spot in answering my many questions. I'm taking it tomorrow on the first day it is available in my town. Small shop and they only offer testing on Wed and Thurs!

Bob, good luck on the test, and thanks for your service!
-Keith

I used " Drone Pilot Ground School". Today 8/30/2016 I passed the 107 test. Alan is very nice polite and willing to personally walk his students through hard questions. I was suck in my learning (load calculations and latitude/ longitude questions) two days ago and called him up left message. In about 20 minutes he called me back and gave me a one on one, on the phone. I am in NYC he is in the 617 Boston area code. His coursework is very good. I was prepared for test and again I passed. The lessons are great. All areas on test was covered in his study lessons. I have a idea, call and talk to him before you start a third person courtroom session. His information is easy to get. Try a first hand experience instead of back door review.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Jonathan Huff
I used UAV Ground School (N42742) above to study. The test wasn't easy, but I was prepared and passed. The good news is that I will be able to use their study material over the next two years and up until I need to get re-certified. It was an eye opening course of study (as intended). I pretty much agree with the link in the post above.

Don't expect to go in and pass the test without studying.

I'm happy to report that I passed today. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. But like someone just said you couldn't go in without some study.

Reactions: Keith Mitchell
I'm looking over the options for online schools out there because I like a structured course rather than the "gather and digest" method of study. I've looked at the sales pages for Gold Seal, DARTdrone, and Drone Pilot Ground School. It's really difficult from their presentations to tell how one is better than the other for appx the same fee. Any more impressions from folks who have used these resources?

I took the Drone Pilot Ground School and found it to be very good. I've also used Dauntless, it an app for taking tests. And also purchased the ASA drone test prep...also a bunch of tests. I really liked the Drone Pilot Ground School. Alan, the owner, was always quick to respond with answers to either my questions or comments. I also took a test prep class from CTI and it also had some good videos.

Using the above I passed the Remote Pilot exam with a 90%.

Reactions: doubledown7d
One thing that will help you regarding Gold Seal - you can register, take the first three lessons for free, and completely look around inside to see how it's laid out and what it contains. I don't know about the two others you mentioned, but most other training sites require you to pay before you can see anything beyond their marketing page. - www.UAVGroundSchool.com

And note that Gold Seal has been in the pilot training business for over 10 years. This isn't something new to us. Lessons are developed and taught by FAA Certificated Flight Instructors.

Last edited:
One thing that will help you regarding Gold Seal - you can register, take the first two lessons for free, and completely look around inside to see how it's laid out and what it contains. I don't know about the two others you mentioned, but most other training sites require you to pay before you can see anything beyond their marketing page. - www.GoldSealDroneSchool.com

And note that Gold Seal has been in the pilot training business for over 10 years. This isn't something new to us. Lessons are developed and taught by FAA Certificated Flight Instructors.

I must admit, your "free look" is the one thing that has me considering your service over the others. To be fair, they all sound like they have their upsides, but not being able to take a good look has me here asking questions.

Seems the people taking the other two have good things to say about them as well, just wish I could look or someone would do a review of the services with images of how the content is set up. I'm one of those people who always like to see all options and narrow them down to my preference before I plunk down my $$.

Thanks for your info too, Bob. Seems DPGS had what you needed to pass. Decisions...decisions. I have some time coming up soon that will allow me to study full time for several days, gotta make a choice and make it happen.

The DPGS has videos that fully explain the topic and then there is also a transcript with pictures or charts of the information that was presented. The FAQ says that it was developed with a Certified Flight Instructor. Just be aware that there are no Remote Pilot CFIs. It's not a rating YET! Maybe someday.

Section tests help to reinforce what you just learned and then there are 5 - 60 question exam questions to get you in the mood to go pass your RP exam. Hey, right now you can get $50 off and as of 8/30 93% of their students passed. Not bad. Also, I guess you can light the fires and kick the tires and bail out before the end of 30 days. (30 day money back guarantee according to the website). I don't have any involvement with the DPGS except as a graduate and qualified RP.

What ever you decide good luck and enjoy the flying!

One thing that will help you regarding Gold Seal - you can register, take the first two lessons for free, and completely look around inside to see how it's laid out and what it contains. I don't know about the two others you mentioned, but most other training sites require you to pay before you can see anything beyond their marketing page. - www.GoldSealDroneSchool.com

I probably missed it; what's the price of the course?

...huge fan of DPGS - I had never had any aero training before his course - 30 video lectures in a very approachable manner with full text backup and plenty of good practice tests had me fully understanding the 127 learning concepts, not just learning how to "take the test" - passed with a 95% and credit it all to Alan at DPGS - I paid $250 and consider it money very well spent!

After PMing with a couple of people, I took the leap and purchased DPGS. Glad I did so far. Looked through the material and videos. It seems to be well presented and I love the fact that so much of it is downloadable in PDFs form for study offline. If the reported pass rate is true, I've no doubt after spending a good amount of time with this I can be successful.

Hi, Bob. A CFI is a CFI. The topics covered on the FAA Knowledge Test are >exactly< the topics that CFIs are trained to teach. When someone takes a course from a non-CFI, the odds are that the instructor didn't know any more than the student did two months ago.

I probably missed it; what's the price of the course?
Hey there, RJ. The price is $199 for four years full access. Use "phantompilots50" as the coupon code and save $50. And feel free to go take the first two lessons for free. You can browse around through the entire program without restriction to see how it's laid out. And yes, all Gold Seal training programs are developed by FAA certificated flight instructors.

Last edited:
Hi, Bob. A CFI is a CFI. The topics covered on the FAA Knowledge Test are >exactly< the topics that CFIs are trained to teach. When someone takes a course from a non-CFI, the odds are that the instructor didn't know any more than the student did two months ago.
Good points! Luckily there was one involved. I'm sure everyone is trying to do their best to provide a good service in training remote pilots, not just to pass a test but to become educated pilots who understand why you don't fly at night, above 400 AGL (what's an AGL, right? :) except when over a structure or why you don't fly except VLOS unless you have COA/W. I can only attest to my experience. All four of the courses I took were pretty good. I like one best. Had I seen Gold Seal, I would have likely given that a go to! Sometimes I'm an education junkie when it comes to a new subject that I want immerse in.

Last edited:
I've have an update, though unofficial but the pass rate is 97% at DPGS. Out of 400 students only 5-10 failed on their firs attempt. That's really encouraging. To receive the $50 discount, use the coupon code
PHANTOMPILOTS50 but will expire on 10/15. An official survey from the school should be executed in the coming weeks. Very exciting. I hope to hear that other schools are having the same or similar success rate.
cleardot.gif

Again, whatever the course or path you take to receive the Remote Pilot certificate--Good Luck!
Happy flying ahead!

How could DPGS possibly know how many people passed? I have an account with that site and no one has ever contacted me to find out how I did. That's the second program I've seen that has posted some highly questionable pass rates.

Hello,

I signed up for this course, during the $50 discount that they had running. It's nice to have all of the material in one place, it is focused on the requirements of the part 107 test. You get 5 practice tests and a couple of other modules on starting up a commercial business, etc. I would rate it about a 7 out of 10. It seems that the two most challenging parts of the test (for me anyways) are interpreting weather reports and reading sectional charts.

There are a few threads here that have links to a sites that cover the topics in the test. I chose to purchase the training and use the FAA test along with other sites to prepare.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I also used this class and email the professor Alan a few times. Quick with responses, overall a great class.
passed the 107!

How could DPGS possibly know how many people passed? I have an account with that site and no one has ever contacted me to find out how I did. That's the second program I've seen that has posted some highly questionable pass rates.
Well, when I completed my test I emailed Alan at DPGS and told him my results.H e didn't contact me, the other way around. Real approachable guy. So I told him, I passed with a 90 percent. Woohoo!

Right now I would guess that his results are anecdotal based on people like me that emailed him my results. Now he does say the pass rate is not official and will be running a survey shortly for students to confirm their pass/fail, assuming they choose to participate.

Whatever the right rate this guy Alan is a great guy who genuinely seems to care about his students. He's a brand-new dad and even though he said he was taking a few days off he still found the time to respond.

Of the 4 courses I took, DPGS was the only one to reach out to me with updates or added material. All 4 had some mistakes in their questions and DPGS was very responsive to this.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey there, RJ. The price is $249 for four years full access. Use "phantompilots50" as the coupon code and save $50. And feel free to go take the first two lessons for free. You can browse around through the entire program without restriction to see how it's laid out. And yes, all Gold Seal training programs are developed by FAA certificated flight instructors.

Let me know if you guys ever have a sale or special. 200 bucks is out of the question for me right now. :(

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.