Anyone else have stress cracks on the P4P legs?

Reaction score
Ugh! I take exceptional care of my drones. Always hand catch and no hard landings. I noticed these small cracks in the legs today. Starting to wonder if it is from hand catching, maybe the weight is putting to much stress on the legs when the props release the weight? Anyone else experience this? If so did it get worse? Part of me want to send it back to DJI, it's about 5 months old. Just not sure if it's worth it if it's a fix I can handle myself. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG_2435.JPG
    IMG_2435.JPG
    760.9 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    819.2 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_2437.JPG
    IMG_2437.JPG
    861.9 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:
Handcatching may be an issue. I checked mine and I see no cracks at all. I rarely hand catch.

I always do a hand catch, and with over 300 flights I have no stress cracks yet ... I notice in the photos, the cracks seem be fairly old and are around the inspection (access) port covers. Had any work been done to the AC which required their removal ? Typically, this part of the AC is not under any stress during flight, so if it were me, I would just keep an eye on them to assure they get no worse. I am also not sure if these cracks will travel, but the typical solution would be to drill a small hole at the end of the crack. I think the antennas are in the legs, so if you do anything to the legs, be careful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carltonart
Mine has almost the same looking cracks and I can assure everyone that my P4p has been landed like it was landing on a pillow every flight. However, I do hold it by the legs when doing the DJI dance.

Never let my bird touch the ground if I can help it! Hand catcher for a year and a half and have never had any cracks in two P4's last year and now for over 8 months with my P4P. Just make sure you grab it up as high as you can on the leg so you don't have as much weight on it when motors quit. If it's windy your AC can also be blown over on props as soon as you get on the ground. Plus possibly blowing dirt and dust in bird. And there are times when you may be in an area that doesn't really have a decent spot to land. Anyway, no cracks here at all after 8 months.

f0225c82cdb6d3f74999487ffbde4484.jpg
c5eab5f5b4b8f6ec219d11ca10219b21.jpg

Yup, over a few legs.. As op really careful and it's pretty crappy for a £1600 product, of course tho.. Sending away is a risk in itself.

I have the same stress cracks. I super glued the cracks. Time will tell how that goes with the super glue. I just want to let you know mine where also small and then they were traveling even farther. So I had to do something. The bird has just over 150 flights and flies so true, I couldn't bring myself to send her into dji to just get a referb. I also bought new landing gear just waiting on someone on youtube with a great video for changing out landing gear. I just know you have to split the halves apart on the p4 to change landing gear. I think this winter she will be getting a new sit of legs. LOL

I have the same stress cracks. I super glued the cracks. Time will tell how that goes with the super glue. I just want to let you know mine where also small and then they were traveling even farther. So I had to do something. The bird has just over 150 flights and flies so true, I couldn't bring myself to send her into dji to just get a referb. I also bought new landing gear just waiting on someone on youtube with a great video for changing out landing gear. I just know you have to split the halves apart on the p4 to change landing gear. I think this winter she will be getting a new sit of legs. LOL
HI me had flexible bad legs from new plastic covers wernt even clipped in on top of legs,made this mount for homemade strobe at same time it braced the legs,nice and strong now :)
1497075590750-935912229.jpg

HI me had flexible bad legs from new plastic covers wernt even clipped in on top of legs,made this mount for homemade strobe at same time it braced the legs,nice and strong now :)View attachment 83656

Just be aware that this can introduce extra vibes to the craft, as your messing with the original design.
Skids often tends to cause resonance to the fuselage if design is not correct, which in turn can disturb the IMUs.

No cracks on my P4P+ legs... never hand catch..
I use leg extenders to keep the camera clear of
the ground or grass. The extenders offer a bit
of shock absorbing when landing..

Jerry

Just be aware that this can introduce extra vibes to the craft, as your messing with the original design.
Skids often tends to cause resonance to the fuselage if design is not correct, which in turn can disturb the IMUs.
Thanks but still works well if anything its taken my ugly vibes,way more stable than not having ,bottom of legs has rubber strip ,dosent go right from end to end witch made me p4 bit rocky now with brace on start up it sits still instead of rocking back and forth wanting to tip,sensors and imu normal

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj