Anybody fish with a drone?

Reaction score
Using kites for Offshore fishing is big here in South Florida, and a friend of mine that is a professional angler approached me about using a drone instead of a kite. Has anybody done this? Basically we think it would work like this:

release a drone with a line on it, taking it up 100 feet with the bait on the other end, line hooked to drone via a quick release outrigger clip. Then bouncing the bait off the surface with the drone. Fish hits, line releases

Opinions welcome. The major benefit is you Can be a lot more precise of where to put the bait versus a kite. On the offshore pro billfish circuit, there is huge money involved.

You can buy a fishing kit for phantoms, well they are available over here. If you google drone fishing or similar, there are some interesting videos. A couple of Australians built a prototype and were thrashed by traditional fishermen who claimed that they were cheating.....

Excellent....thank you. The cost of a phantom is insignificant to some of these guys that have spent $1 million on a 50' offshore fishing boat and another 50k on tackle. I'll check the rules and regs of the tournaments down here, it may just be outlawed.

Excellent....thank you. The cost of a phantom is insignificant to some of these guys that have spent $1 million on a 50' offshore fishing boat and another 50k on tackle. I'll check the rules and regs of the tournaments down here, it may just be outlawed.
Over here the only restrictions may relate to flying in the area (which may tie in with any tournament requirements) they can't do a thing regarding the use of a fishing aid. Bit like the boat owners using high end fish finders, GPS controlled boats and the like.

I just got home from drone fishing. I tested the outrigger clips you mentioned awhile back and I didn't like pulling at the bird. I'd drop the RC, close the bail and tug to release, but the bird would react strange to the pulling. I'd struggle to pick up the RC before I crashed.
Look for videos with the bent coat hanger. It works so great. I pulled a 1/4 mile cast with it today.

Sent from my XT1254 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Another friend angler just wrote me and said they work great off the beach, because you can get your line out further, but in offshore fishing, the kite has to stay up much longer than a drone can, and replacing batteries is sometimes not possible when the strike is hot.

Spotting fish....intend to use a ph4 to find bonefish schools in the Bahamas ... not to drop a line on them but to direct the guide which way to pole.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20