Any properly functioning zenmuse out there?

Reaction score
I picked up my gimbal today and to my surprise it came with the updated PMU. I am to scared to install it after reading all the troubles people are having with this product. Just wondering if there are any properly functioning zenmuse out there?

That's the question of the day. It seems like the only ones we hear of are the ones with problems.

I have mine installed on the Phantom, but have not applied power, or downloaded the software / firmware, yet due to
the amount of problems I've read about here.

I called my dealer today, and he said of the 30 they have sold, none have come back, but on the other hand, he said
it wouldn't hurt to wait and see what others are saying about the newest firmware updates, etc.

Come on, bruh... plug that bad boy in and see what happens! How can you be so patient? LOL

Come on, bruh... plug that bad boy in and see what happens! How can you be so patient? LOL

If I knew how to put the smoke back in, I would do it. I even took the time to mount the control modules in an orderly
fashion. :idea:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,191
Wow installed mine and must say first time at soldering.....Plug and play my ***! :evil:
Now I need to update the firmware and software......I have a Mac....gee another frikin hindrance from DJI
Sorry if I sound bitter but now I can't even fly my Phantom and I am afraid that when I do the outcome might not be good!

I have two of them both in Phantoms. Both work perfectly. No wierd noises. No smoke. One did get hot when first installed, but is fine now after 30 or so flights. I did call my dealer (B&H) with some questions on warranties, the software, etc. but they didn't know anything and told me that it was the first they had heard of any issues. I sent them a link to this forum. They are checking and will get back to me. At this point I am just going to use them and if they fry I will rebuild them into something that works if DJI won't take care of it. I've updated all software / firmware and I'm using the Futaba T8J.

I did notice that on the DJI inc Facebook page (NOT the DJI user's group page) some people are communicating directly w/ DJI USA on these problems and are getting some help (maybe).

I think it's called "plug and pray". Good luck.

Excellent Job on the wiring!

-Todd

Thanks Todd.

I guess I should give a little more information. I replaced the Main board, with a carbon fiber plate, mounted the Naza
in the correct location, the PMU V2, and GCU V1 modules have been put into cut-out slots in the carbon fiber plate, with
only the top 3/16 " above the plates surface. They go down on either side of the battery compartment, but are not
in the way of the battery.
I wired all four esc's, and accessories into a wiring loom, just underneath the carbon fiber plate, and following the outer
edge of the plate, where they connect to the battery leads.

If you look closely, you can tell that the modules are recessed, because the Futaba receiver looks taller.

Nice setup dude! I had to carefully cram everything in. Pity you were not part of the design team. Installed my gimbal yesterday. Cross referenced between online manual and tutorial video's, installed a brushed aluminium knob and potentiometer just next to the HL/CL switch so I can move the phantom whilst adjusting pitch. Everything works awesome at the moment, no hot motors and I have noticed the hibernation mode kick in when I turn to fast. Very smart addition. I will be posting if I have any problems but all good at the moment.

Thanks for the compliment, boat chaser. I finally powered mine up, and am "bench testing" it at the moment.
It seems to be doing fine, just a nice buzzing noise, not the annoying high pitch whine, like the Arris.
It does seem very weak though. The slightest resistance, fast move, pitch or roll too far, and it goes limp, like it just
seen Rosanne Barr, and Margarette Thatcher naked. And it takes it a while to recover too, just like it should if that
had just happened. But recover it does.......(the poor dumb son of a *****). ;)

On a happier note. GetFPV.com has FatShark Dominators in stock. :D I'm finally getting my Dominators. :D Of course
they were out of the Immersion 600mw transmitters, but progress is being made, slowly but slowly.

my first phantom went haywire and stopped responding to controls. I lost my camera (with custom lens and transmitter) and was out 1500 - i bought an entirely new system and this time had the zenmuse gimble installed ( the footage before the gimble was unusable crap ). now the gimble has gone limp after only 5 flights.

DJI is emerging as a company that is selling faulty gear that is not ready for the market.
I'm close to sueing them for every penny I've spent on this wild goose chase.

it seems that if your going to enter the world of pro ariel cinematography you must spend at least 5K to get "real" gear that functions properly.

I realised i can't fly aggressively with the Zenmuse on without it going into hibernation mode and resetting mid flight. And i'm getting lots of Jello too using the stock black absorbers....

I've just changed to the grey ones and will do some more testing.

guile said:
I realised i can't fly aggressively with the Zenmuse on without it going into hibernation mode and resetting mid flight. And i'm getting lots of Jello too using the stock black absorbers....

I've just changed to the grey ones and will do some more testing.

The Future of Impossible???? The smug looking US DJI CEO who seems to think he is the Steve Jobs of multirotors, can be seen in convention videos on YouTube singing the Zenmuse H3-2D's fully plug and play, high performance praises and twisting a Phantom (with H3-2D gimbal) from side to side as quickly as he can with no gimbal problems whatsoever and flying the Phantom with gimbal attached with smooth as silk performance, so how did the DJI H3-2D gimbal go from that to plug and solder/pray, delicate, smoking, screeching and failure prone when other seemingly more reliable gimbals with arguably the same performance can be had at a fraction of the price? DJI seems to think they can rest on their laurels, but poor customer service and poor communication with customers may prove their undoing? DJI does produce some nice products (very happy with my Phantom) and I would like to upgrade my Phantom with a DJI gimbal and would even be willing to spend the $700 for it as its got a couple of nice features, but they haven't convinced me yet that their product is more compelling than the others at a much cheaper price with seemingly better reliability. The deal breaker for me is poor customer service, so why would I buy a $700 dollar gimbal when I can buy a $200 one, albeit, with equally poor customer service, but performs just as well? I would have bought one of the other competitor's gimbals by now, but they are out of stock too. LOL!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRIf1ckqKao[/youtube]

Here is the video of the Zenmuse resetting midflight. You can see the jellos too....all happening within the first 2 mins of the raw footage.

I followed dji video how to instal the d3h2 and all worked well for a couple flight, then it started making a screeching sound, and now the roll motor does not work! It appears that I am not along! I will be ringing my dealer tomorrow ( Monday) and will be requiring a replacement, it would be interesting finding out if the video instructions are wrong!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20