Any Preference on Motors? Old style or Newer for P3

Reaction score
Any of you pro's out there have any preference on what motors were better. Or what set with the board and motors.

Sorry, I'm still fairly new and don't know the correct terms. I have a couple of P3's sitting in front of me and without experience I'm trying to figure out which one I want to keep for myself. Then I started wondering which motor was better. Or are they basically the same. Never notice the difference?

The motors are nearly identical. There is no noticeable difference performance-wise.

The motors are nearly identical. There is no noticeable difference performance-wise.

Thank you!

I fly both in real short flights and couldn't tell, but I don't have any real experience yet. I have just as much if not more fun working on them.Taking things apart haha I went a little Ebay crazy and have a pile of stuff laying around to play with. I did read that the motors had to stay with their board, or types. But never found much on any preference for performance.

Last edited:

I've swapped motors from one aircraft to another and didn't even look for a difference what so ever. As long as it's the same "Series" I just swapped em out and went flying.

Reactions: Joker2415
Just make sure all 4 are matching ... do not mix old with new.

Nigel

Nigel

And to anyone else that stumbles into this thread that's leaning like I am....I've bought two off of Ebay so far that the seller claims the motor won't "turn on" ......Well Ya!!!!! When you run 3/4 in long screws up into the windings trying to get it to tighten down? The motors won't turn on!!! haha

I've learned that sales trick already..."motors won't turn on"....actually means...."long screws" hahaha Which was actually good, because they were easy fixes. Just kind of funny in a way. Now when I open a box I spin the motors first thing to feel for drag.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...And now that someone has sent me a link(Thank you). I see that this topic has been beat to death. I missed it when I was looking. I didn't mean to bring up something that you guys have seen a million times.
I guess it's a newbie thing in any forum or hobby. I'm "that guy" for now! haha I'll catch up eventually.

Thanks guys...And now that someone has sent me a link(Thank you). I see that this topic has been beat to death. I missed it when I was looking. I didn't mean to bring up something that you guys have seen a million times.
I guess it's a newbie thing in any forum or hobby. I'm "that guy" for now! haha I'll catch up eventually.
Back when the P3 was current, the topic was much discussed but usually without a lot of facts.
This post is a good one though:
New or old motors phantom 3

Nigel
Just did that on a P3P that sat out in the woods for a couple of months. Works fine. The originals are the 'old' version, the two CCW motors are 'new'. Flies like it always did. Not sure what would happen if you had mismatched CW and CCW motors, but I suspect the Phantom would figure it out.

Just did that on a P3P that sat out in the woods for a couple of months. Works fine. The originals are the 'old' version, the two CCW motors are 'new'. Flies like it always did. Not sure what would happen if you had mismatched CW and CCW motors, but I suspect the Phantom would figure it out.

Technically the Flight Controller should compensate so yes - it will work.

But for sake of good order and possibly any slight change in battery draw - its best to match the motors at least in pairs as you did or better all 4.

Nigel

Quite possibly - and note that I replaced both CCW motors. But I've been flying this Franken drone extensively the past week (with a new Peau lens) and it seems to work fine.

At least in terms of general handling and platform stability, I can't tell a substantive difference. Battery drain *seems* to be the same so it doesn't appear that the Phantom is fighting harder to stay in the air.

YMMV. Non professional driver on closed course. Do not taunt happy fun ball.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor