Any Houston Flyers Capture the Flood this Morning?

Reaction score
I'm too far north of the city and we only got about 4 inches. Might be able to sell some footage to the news station.

I had a friend in Houston get some nice photos/videos. He is submitting them to the stations now.

I heard of one guy taking photos at a fire. There was a news station there and he sold them photos for $60 a piece on the spot.

This guys is doing it for free.

I heard of one guy taking photos at a fire. There was a news station there and he sold them photos for $60 a piece on the spot.

This guys is doing it for free.
Is that a relatively okay way to make some accessory cash? Do stationd reliably buy good footage?

Is that a relatively okay way to make some accessory cash? Do stationd reliably buy good footage?
I cant say for sure. Its worth a shot to email all the local stations and ask them if this is something they want. Then, have them call you when something happens and you already have an agreed upon price.

I cant say for sure. Its worth a shot to email all the local stations and ask them if this is something they want. Then, have them call you when something happens and you already have an agreed upon price.
Thanks! Ever since I got my P3 I have been day dreaming about how to make some cash with it, seems a waste not to!

I live in Austin and wanted to take my P3P downtown to shoot some footage of Shoal Creek and the flooding. I decided it was probably safer for me to stay home with my family than drive on the roads. Besides, it kept lightly raining off and on so much that I didn't want to be up flying and have raindrops get in my motors.

Technically, I believe they are paying for the rights to broadcast the photos/footage. Depending on the release that's agreed to, you should still own the photo/footage, they just have rights to post it and may request 'exclusive' rights so you don't sell to a competitor. It would have to be exciting footage for that.

According to the FAA, if someone wants to buy the footage you made for your own personal use, that is permissible.

I live in Austin and wanted to take my P3P downtown to shoot some footage of Shoal Creek and the flooding. I decided it was probably safer for me to stay home with my family than drive on the roads. Besides, it kept lightly raining off and on so much that I didn't want to be up flying and have raindrops get in my motors.
I had the same thoughts, plus wind gusts at 300-400 feet have been worrying, though the P3 does not seem to mind.

Technically, I believe they are paying for the rights to broadcast the photos/footage. Depending on the release that's agreed to, you should still own the photo/footage, they just have rights to post it and may request 'exclusive' rights so you don't sell to a competitor. It would have to be exciting footage for that.
I would bet there were some fantastic shots waiting to happen!

According to the FAA, if someone wants to buy the footage you made for your own personal use, that is permissible.
Interesting... So as long as I go to film for personal use and happen to sell it to a news station, I would be clear?

Interesting... So as long as I go to film for personal use and happen to sell it to a news station, I would be clear?

Not according to the FAA, as soon as you sell it, it becomes commercial use - period. Even if you originally intended for it to be personal use only. If you sell it then they air it on TV then it is no longer personal use and you made money from it. All that said there is so much paid drone work being done out there without FAA exemptions for UAS you would have to do something bad for the FAA to come find you. Most UAS exemptions so far are for the Hollywood film industry and big players. There are literally thousands of people doing it for $ right now already. Just don't do anything dumb and be discrete. Also assume that the FAA reads these boards frequently.

How would the FAA know your video was taken from a drone and not some other powered craft like an ultralite. The TV stations don't care how you got the shots so just don't tell them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.