Any Benefit Using Regular Controller instead of Pro PLUS Controller?

Reaction score
Is there any "benefit" to using a Phantom 4 controller in conjunction with a phone / tablet instead of using the integrated Pro PLUS controller (that has the built in tablet)?

I know some people use apps other than DJI Go to fly their drones. I don't think those apps can be downloaded on to the Pro PLUS controller, can they be?

Also, how would a pilot get LAANC info sent to the drone? (My understanding is that once you get LAANC clearance, it is then supposed to be sent to the drone's flight controller. Is that right???) I know how to get LAANC using Aloft on my phone, but don't know how that would then be sent to the drone's flight controller.

And finally, I just find the DJI Go app a bit hard to use on the Pro PLUS controller. The numbers for things like ISO, shutter speed, etc are kind of small, and having to jump in to menus or clicking options is kind of a pain when I am trying to maintain line of sight with the aircraft while adjusting camera or controller settings.

Thanks in advance.

Is there any "benefit" to using a Phantom 4 controller in conjunction with a phone / tablet instead of using the integrated Pro PLUS controller (that has the built in tablet)?

Also, how would a pilot get LAANC info sent to the drone? (My understanding is that once you get LAANC clearance, it is then supposed to be sent to the drone's flight controller. Is that right???) I know how to get LAANC using Aloft on my phone, but don't know how that would then be sent to the drone's flight controller.

And finally, I just find the DJI Go app a bit hard to use on the Pro PLUS controller. The numbers for things like ISO, shutter speed, etc are kind of small, and having to jump in to menus or clicking options is kind of a pain when I am trying to maintain line of sight with the aircraft while adjusting camera or controller settings.

Thanks in advance.
I find the screen for the Pro Plus controller and the Smart Controller too small for my aging eyes. I fly with a 7" Tripltek Tablet that I can move between the 4-5 drones that I use regularly. It can use any of the drone apps; DJI FLY, GO, GO 4, Skydio, Freeflight, Autel Explorer, Litchi, Drone Deploy etc.

It is a little slower to get up and running when you want to fly but the advantages far outweigh the inconveniences.

I know some people use apps other than DJI Go to fly their drones. I don't think those apps can be downloaded on to the Pro PLUS controller, can they be?
The Pro plus controller is pretty much limited to DJI GO 4 but folks have managed to put Litchi and a couple of other flight apps on it.

I find the screen for the Pro Plus controller and the Smart Controller too small for my aging eyes. I fly with a 7" Tripltek Tablet that I can move between the 4-5 drones that I use regularly. It can use any of the drone apps; DJI FLY, GO, GO 4, Skydio, Freeflight, Autel Explorer, Litchi, Drone Deploy etc.

It is a little slower to get up and running when you want to fly but the advantages far outweigh the inconveniences.

The Pro plus controller is pretty much limited to DJI GO 4 but folks have managed to put Litchi and a couple of other flight apps on it.

Thanks so much for the reply.

So to do what you did, I will need just a "regular" Phantom 4 controller? Or is there a specific Phantom 4 PRO controller I need?

The tripltek tablet looks nice, but it is literally three times as much as I paid for the drone (I got the Phantom 4 Pro PLUS, three DJI batteries, and the manfrotto bag for only $250 total.)

Thinking out loud: Wonder if i can install and use dJI Go and other drone apps on my Amazon Kindle Fire???

For the Phantom 4 Pro you will need a GL300F controller. You should be able to sell your GL300E Screen Controller for a decent price if you want to. The Tripltek tablet is special because of its extra bright screens, there are a couple of knockoffs now for $500 and used ones are about $450-500, but plenty of folks fly with an iPad mini. There are plenty of other tablets that will work as well. I am not sure if you can get an Amazon Fire to work.

You scored big with your Phantom 4 Pro+..... the going price for the package you have is still at least $800.

For the Phantom 4 Pro you will need a GL300F controller. You should be able to sell your GL300E Screen Controller for a decent price if you want to. The Tripltek tablet is special because of its extra bright screens, there are a couple of knockoffs now for $500 and used ones are about $450-500, but plenty of folks fly with an iPad mini. There are plenty of other tablets that will work as well. I am not sure if you can get an Amazon Fire to work.

You scored big with your Phantom 4 Pro+..... the going price for the package you have is still at least $800.

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I noticed the Tripletek tablets are bright.

The deal on the P4P+ was because I am a real estate photographer, and the homeowner didn't have his house cleaned up enough and I had to come back THREE times before he got his house ready to be photographed. And even on that third time, I spent about an hour helping him hide some stuff. I think he felt sorry for putting me through all that work, and he also had like two or three Mavic drones as well, and since he was moving in with his girlfriend, he needed to "get rid of a drone." Guess I just happened to be in the right spot at the right time.

Looks like the main thing to get the various apps working on the Fire Tablet is getting google play services installed, and there is an app specifically designed to get it installed on a Fire Tablet, according to this video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Now all I have to do is figure out where the heck I left that tablet!!!

So to do what you did, I will need just a "regular" Phantom 4 controller? Or is there a specific Phantom 4 PRO controller I need?
Be warned there are two versions .. the original Phantom 4 pro and the P4 pro V2.0
Their controllers are not compatible.
The original P4 pro only works with the GL300F controller and the V2.0 requires a GL300L controller.
Thinking out loud: Wonder if i can install and use dJI Go and other drone apps on my Amazon Kindle Fire???
The Kindle Fire isn't quite like ordinary Android tablets and not so easy to use.
But you'll find plenty of others in the listing here:

I like both remotes depending on what I'm doing that day, standard gets more use for screen size. Can switch in a minute. Great score on your bird but you did work for it. Enjoy

Reactions: Just Mark
Be warned there are two versions .. the original Phantom 4 pro and the P4 pro V2.0
Their controllers are not compatible.
The original P4 pro only works with the GL300F controller and the V2.0 requires a GL300L controller.

The Kindle Fire isn't quite like ordinary Android tablets and not so easy to use.
But you'll find plenty of others in the listing here:

Thank you for the input!!!

I like both remotes depending on what I'm doing that day, standard gets more use for screen size. Can switch in a minute. Great score on your bird but you did work for it. Enjoy

Thank you for sharing your experience. I do find that my fat sausage fingers seem to have a difficult time with the built-in tablet on the PLUS controller, so that is the main issue, really. Thanks again.

Interested to read this thread, I have struggled to load third party apps on my Phantom 4 Pro+ (not V2). I do now have Litchi and have had Dronelink (this initially worked but since an update last summer I can't get their version 3 to install), so another controller with an iPad appeals. I installed these apps with Amazon, Google Play Store and APKPure, but it is a bit hit-and-miss! As I have the original 4 Pro+ (model number WM331A, so I know it isn't the V2), so I am going to find a GL300F controller to use. You mention it is quick to change between the two, is it simply a matter of switching on the one you intend to use or is there something else to do?

Last edited:
Thanks for your help with this, I am pleased to confirm the GL300F works very well in place of the original GL300E Pro+ controller and it is pretty easy to switch between them. using the GL300F I have completed a test Map Pilot Pro mission with ease, exactly as it should be! Thanks again for all your help :)

Reactions: Saladshooter

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31