Antenna terminals on RE700 WiFi Extender

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the two antenna terminals on the RE700 WiFi Extender for the Vision+? I posted a photo of these terminals below, and arbitrarily labeled them "Terminal A" and "Terminal B".

I've seen YouTube videos where people are adding long-range antennas for FPV, but everyone seems to use different antennas on these two terminals. I've seen some guys use LHCP "half dome" or helical antennas on Terminal A and a pinwheel antenna on Terminal B, and another guy will have these reversed. I assume it makes a difference which terminal you use, right? One terminal is transmitting data to the Phantom, and the other terminal is receiving data from it, correct?

Which is which?

RE700_Wi_Fi_extender_inside_view_with_arrows.jpg

Dirty Bird said:
It is a typical Dual-Diversity setup...both antennas transmit & receive. You can either if you are installing a single additional antenna.

OK so if I had a "half dome" and pinwheel antenna from FPVLR.com --- it wouldn't matter which antenna I mounted on either terminal?

This would also apply to a 2.4 GHz booster amp as well, correct?

DBS said:
correct :ugeek:

OK, so it sounds like if I use a 2.5 watt Sunhans booster amp on one of the terminals, there is no need to use an upgraded antenna on the other terminal because the terminal with the amp is going to overpower any signal coming from the un-boosted terminal, correct? In other words, the Phantom is going to be communicating with the amp-boosted terminal exclusively because it has a lot more signal strength (at least 12-15 dB more)?

Sorry for so many questions --- I'm just trying to avoid over-spending on extra antennas that I wont really need.

;)

Depends on the antenna and how you mount chose to mount it. If you mounted a helix or half-sphere to the face of the extender, it will be blocking the internal antennae. That's why people usually put a pinwheel on top. The boosted helix/half-sphere is directional for long range, while the pinwheel is omnidirectional for close in.

I still don't get how the antenna's work. The RE connects to the Phantom as a client... and the RE also acts as an Access point for phone to connect to. So it is doing 2 different WIFI functions... 1) client 2) AP
The RE bridges the 2 wifi connections to the phone/phantom/RE is all on the same 192.168.1.0/24 network.

The Phantom has a hidden SSID that the RE connects to... You can see the hidden SSID if you use linux/airodump or if you SSH into the Phantom.. in /etc/config/wireless If I recall.. its got the SSID name and the option to hide it, which is enabled. The SSID is like FC200_XXXXXX

How the hell is it using both antenna's for 2 different functions...... ???

Do you guys get what I mean when I say 2 diff wifi functions and my confusion ? It would make sense if 1 antenna was for client mode (connection to Phantom) and second antenna was for the access point (connection to phone)

justin00 said:
I still don't get how the antenna's work. The RE connects to the Phantom as a client... and the RE also acts as an Access point for phone to connect to. So it is doing 2 different WIFI functions... 1) client 2) AP
The RE bridges the 2 wifi connections to the phone/phantom/RE is all on the same 192.168.1.0/24 network.

The Phantom has a hidden SSID that the RE connects to... You can see the hidden SSID if you use linux/airodump or if you SSH into the Phantom.. in /etc/config/wireless If I recall.. its got the SSID name and the option to hide it, which is enabled. The SSID is like FC200_XXXXXX

How the hell is it using both antenna's for 2 different functions...... ???

Do you guys get what I mean when I say 2 diff wifi functions and my confusion ? It would make sense if 1 antenna was for client mode (connection to Phantom) and second antenna was for the access point (connection to phone)

The extender acts as a repeater.
The system uses NEMO that explain the 2 antenna use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers