Another wrecked bird by newbie

Maybe I am paranoid about losing my drone, but I never takeoff immediately after starting to ensure home point is recorded, settings are correct, etc. After takeoff, I hover directly overhead at about 20-30 feet for about 20 sec and check stability, drift and flight controls. Has worked for me

I am constantly surprised, or not so much at the people who would spend $1500 plus to purchase a drone and then not spend a much smaller amount of money to learn how to fly it. However 1st time crashers are a great way to thin the herd.

Reactions: AyeYo
Obstacle avoidance work by sonar the same as bats do. Bats only fly in the dark. I think you have a different problem.

You cannot fly when the sun goes beneath the horizon ... PERIOD! To get nice night images or video, fly just before sunset. You get better images with the reduced dynamic range. You can post process images or video to make it look darker e.g. like night flying.

You cannot fly when the sun goes beneath the horizon ... PERIOD! To get nice night images or video, fly just before sunset. You get better images with the reduced dynamic range. You can post process images or video to make it look darker e.g. like night flying.
If you have a FAA part 107 waiver for flying at night you CAN fly at night. Obviously this person did not have a waiver.

you can in the UK, 30 minutes after sunset is fine :)

Reactions: On_Bail_Cuz

Oh my god this guy again claiming laws that apply for him in his country and think they apply worldwide, just because it's illegal in your country doesn't mean it is elsewhere, when will you get that through your head? This is worldwide forum, every post I go to i see you claiming it's illegal to do something but it's not the same rules for every country. Stop trying to be an internet drone police you look like a fool telling people what they can and can't do in their country with their laws which you clearly don't know.. stop making yourself look like a fool...

you can in the UK, 30 minutes after sunset is fine :)
Actually, you can fly all night as long as you can see the bird, and orientate it correctly to avoid any collisions. And with some strobons fitted, you can see/orientate them from a long way away with the naked eye.

Reactions: On_Bail_Cuz
In the US: Night flight is prohibited from the end of evening civil twilight and the beginning of morning twilight. Twilight is defined as the period 30 min after sunset and 30 min before sunrise. If flying during twilight, you are required to have operating anticollision lights. A waiver is required to fly at night

In the US: Night flight is prohibited from the end of evening civil twilight and the beginning of morning twilight. Twilight is defined as the period 30 min after sunset and 30 min before sunrise. If flying during twilight, you are required to have operating anticollision lights. A waiver is required to fly at night

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not from the US but from what I have heard if you are a hobbiest then you can fly at night but someone who is commercial can't fly at night full stop

I'd almost ask for proof but I don't need it as FAA rules don't apply where I am so I don't even care, just putting it out there that I think o recall a big conversation regarding it and that what the conclusion was

Your comments please: If the FAA considers flying at night in the UAS for Part 107 trained and certified pilots as restricted and unsafe, why would they allow hobbyists with generally limited or no training?

Your comments please: If the FAA considers flying at night in the UAS for Part 107 trained and certified pilots as restricted and unsafe, why would they allow hobbyists with generally limited or no training?

That's why it was such a big conversation and the people with commercial license were the ones complaining, saying exactly that, how can't they be allowed to operate at night yet a hobbyist can, pretty sure that's how the conversation went, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but now that you raised it up if you are going to correct me please show legislation where it says I'm wrong

Either way it doesn't apply to me I'm not in the US I'm just posting what I think I saw a conversation saying not 100% so feel free to prove me wrong as I said

Reactions: AyeYo
My point is "where are the rules that allow hobbyists to fly "more" unrestricted than part 107? If you are flying at an AMA site, the rules may be different

My point is "where are the rules that allow hobbyists to fly "more" unrestricted than part 107? If you are flying at an AMA site, the rules may be different

Ahh ok I think you triggered the memory the convo went something like this

It's not that they are allowed to fly more unrestricted but if you are part 107 then to fly at night you require a waiver correct?

But if I want to fly at night as a hobbyist then I don't need to get a waiver?

Is that right? I'm not even sure I just remember seeing something along those line, I'll try and find the conversation

As night flying in NZ is in theory not permitted, do you just take your chances or did you get a 102? If the latter, how easy was it?
Um no all strobed up ,,air traffic here drops to nothing in early evening so makes for good pics..where I live in am surrounded by tall hills,have been instructed by CAA to not fly above hill tops which is good for me ...850ft before I breach hilltops...but I do fly safe ,,I don't want to make the news yet...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT