Another newbie question

Reaction score
I use the crystalsky with my P4P and was wondering about offline maps. Why would I need to download a map when the CS has a gps in it. Wouldn’t I get a map for where ever my location is?

The mapping data comes from the internet, the drone location comes from it's gps location.
DJI Go4 uses both to load the relevant map data for your flight location.
When you don't have an internet connection it can't download the maps, by caching the maps to the CS, there is a local source of map data for DJI Go4 to use.

Hotspot the CS to your phone and you'll get real time maps when you have a network connection.

I use the crystalsky with my P4P and was wondering about offline maps. Why would I need to download a map when the CS has a gps in it. Wouldn’t I get a map for where ever my location is?
You don't need maps anyway but some people like them.
But your GPS doesn't give you maps, it gives location data.
You won't get a map unless you download one.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
I guess I’m confused as to what maps are. The gps gives me location on a map like my phone does when I use it to navigate to a location. It shows me where I am and where my drone is so I don’t understand what I would be downloading vs what I’m getting from the gps.

I guess I’m confused as to what maps are. The gps gives me location on a map like my phone does when I use it to navigate to a location. It shows me where I am and where my drone is so I don’t understand what I would be downloading vs what I’m getting from the gps.
GPS just gives some numbers that indicate your drone's latitude and longitude.
The app translates the numbers to display where that location is, on the map that has been downloaded.

And the GPS in your controller is hardly used for anything.
The drone's own GPS receiver is what's used for all flight functions.

Reactions: gppms
In the days prior to remote ID talk, offline maps where used in case a person didn't use internet data/hotspots. Now with what is being proposed in the remote ID you will be require to have some sort of internet connection to fly legally (not sure when it will take effect or how they will enforce it)

Understood but what I don’t understand is what the difference is between a downloaded map and what I get on the crystal sky with its gps. I get a 2D map with all of the area roads just like a gps in a vehicle. So what’s the point of downloading a map?

Understood but what I don’t understand is what the difference is between a downloaded map and what I get on the crystal sky with its gps. I get a 2D map with all of the area roads just like a gps in a vehicle. So what’s the point of downloading a map?
You do not get a map from crystal sky just the same as your car GPS doesn't supply the map both of them use downloaded maps from the Internet if you are in a place you have never been before and do not have a Internet connection neither can supply a map as they do not have them available in their data some of the older car gps systems built in maps but if for any reason things were changed ie a new road was built in neither would be able to display it unless they had a Internet connection, a GPS receiver only knows your position in GPS coordinates which are only two numbers and zero maps but if you have a Internet connection they can download the relevant map for where you are (it's not the GPS in your drone that downloads the map but whatever device you are using with the remote controller)

Regards Poppy Ann.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers