Another New Guy.

Reaction score
Just bought a Phantom 3 Pro from a fellow who didn't have the time to fly. I have the time but the weather here in Victoria, British Colombia, Canada is not cooperating. Ive done a three test flights and am finding the DJI Go app has a bit of a learning curve but Im getting it.
Registered the drone with the Federal Ministry of Transport (our regulatory body here). A new Law requiring Pilot Licensing of anything over 225 gm. I haven't the confidence to try it yet but there isn't much literature beyond the basic restrictions and common sense to work with.
I love it and at my age that's saying something.
I have not been able to get the DJI Flight Sim to run on my computer yet but DJI Support is trying to help. I guess that its like anything great it takes time and effort.
I hope to have a good relationship with the Association and its members.

Just bought a Phantom 3 Pro from a fellow who didn't have the time to fly. I have the time but the weather here in Victoria, British Colombia, Canada is not cooperating. Ive done a three test flights and am finding the DJI Go app has a bit of a learning curve but Im getting it.
Registered the drone with the Federal Ministry of Transport (our regulatory body here). A new Law requiring Pilot Licensing of anything over 225 gm. I haven't the confidence to try it yet but there isn't much literature beyond the basic restrictions and common sense to work with.
I have not been able to get the DJI Flight Sim to run on my computer yet but DJI Support is trying to help. I guess that its like anything great it takes time and effort.
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum!

If you are interested, click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

Cheers!

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

Welcome. Maybe you could find someone in the area to help you out? How do you learn to fly well enough to take a test to get your license to fly? Lol

You're never too old to learn to fly a drone. I was 62 when I got my P4. All the best with this exciting new hobby.

My top tip would be to use the DJI Go app to adjust the sticks and the gimbal to a very low rate. This will help you to fly your drone slowly and smoothly. When you first start flying everything seems to be happening very quickly and this can make you a little anxious, which in turn makes your flying a lot more twitchy, which makes you even more anxious...

While you are in the DJI app settings check that you have the Return To Home altitude set to an appropriate height for the environment you are flying in. So if you have tall trees around you say 40M then set the RTH with a decent safety margin say 60M. Set max altitude to something you feel comfortable with and where you can clearly see the drone and how it is reacting to your stick inputs.

Next top tip would be to fly cautiously and within your capability. Get really confident on the basics before moving on to more adventurous flying. Most of my near misses have occurred when I have been feeling confident - or should I say over-confident.

All the best, Martin

Reactions: KachemakDiver
Welcome from Florida ✋?
I started out a ripe old age as well. I’m glad you started on a phantom, which is much more forgiving than some smaller drones.There are many new pilots (that were) flying the Mavic mini that wish they had bought a used Phantom instead. Have fun when the weather improves.

Reactions: dronesky
Welcome to the forum! :)

I want to express my appreciation to all those who have been so welcoming and shared advice and their experiences. It is rare to find a community that is so supportive especially when they are responding to a new comer who is asking the same old questions. The reference pages and personal responses I have received have answered so many things I would not have even thought of until they happened.
Many thanks again.

Reactions: Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj